Thread: Water Overflow

Forum Member

Default Water Overflow

Hello everyone,

I have developed an automatic valve that works with the large quick dumps on tankers allowing for adequate venting and its configuration stops water spillage during transport. In other terms no more water on the roads when stopping or turning and no reason to crawl on top of your truck to open and close vents.

Just a informal poll regarding your apparatus and your opinion on a question.

* Do you have fire apparatus that leaves a multi-gallon puddle of water as you stop and makes turns ?

* If so what type ? (Tanker/tender, pumper etc...)

* Round Tank , elliptical, rectangle etc ?

* Type of venting you use sizes , configuration

* Do you personally think that overflowing & Spilled water is a problem or issue within your department?

And is your department interested in testing the beta valves that are being made ?

Appreciate any feedback and please feel free to contact me if you would like to be considered for Beta Testing

pdoyle@netins.net

Paul Doyle
    Training Officer - Goose Lake Fire Department
    Field Staff - Iowa Fire Service Training Bureau

Forum Member

I think that there are a high number of tankers/tenders that "spill" as you're saying. I would be interested in learning more about your idea though... newer/better/make-life-easier ideas or products are definitely a benefit in this industry.
    TruckCommittee.com

Forum Member

There are valves already on the market made by the folks who have been in business for a longer period of time. We buy from known companies.

This really smells like an adveritisement.

Forum Member

Thank you Jonee for your remarks,

I see from your profile that you have many years of experience and you are the type of person I am trying to get information from.

I am not selling anything nor have I advertised my product as there is only 2 prototypes in existence at this time, but I am seeking departments from different areas and climates to do beta testing of this device to make it even better before it is offered for sale because like most of us , I need it to work when I use it no matter what.

And yes, I someday hope I can market this valve and start my way to being one of those "Known" companies.

Jonee I am still interested in if you have apparatus that might fit the testing criteria and please contact me at my e-mail given if I can answer any other of your concerns.

Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

Goose Lake: Yes, our tanker leaves splashes if the DO gets carried away with stopping and starting or jockeying around. We have an air operated vent with a switch on the dash that opens a 12" diameter vent. Driver doesn't leave the seat. I would be concerned with any type of vent that could not handle at least 1500 gpm fill rates without raising the internal pressure by more than a 1/2 PSI. Our 12" vent is designed to handle about 3,000 gpm (liquid) at 1/2 psi when it reaches the full mark and overflows. Tanker shuttle fill rates should be at least 1,000 gpm for good load and run time. At this fill rate, an 8" vent is required to keep the internal pressure under 1/2 psi.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Kuhshise, Just the kind of information I am looking for, What type of dump valves do you have installed on this truck ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    We buy from known companies.

This really smells like an adveritisement.
    I tend to agree... but lets not forget that everything we use started out as an idea in someones head. No harm in getting input to make things better.
    TruckCommittee.com

Back In Black

I believe our tender's vent is actuated by the parking brake.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    I believe our tender's vent is actuated by the parking brake.
    What does a formed piece of breaded and deep fried chicken have to do with this?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    What does a formed piece of breaded and deep fried chicken have to do with this?
    C'mon now...

Your t-rex is showing.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Goose Lake: We are using 10 Newtons (3) and dual 3" Storz for the fill set up with interchangable threaded 2 1/2's and cam-locks. Cam-locks are needed to fill DER's tanker aircraft.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KuhShise View Post
    Goose Lake: We are using 10 Newtons (3) and dual 3" Storz for the fill set up with interchangable threaded 2 1/2's and cam-locks. Cam-locks are needed to fill DER's tanker aircraft.
    Thanks for the info Kuhshise, sounds like you have great set up on that tanker.

Thank you for that information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Glad you asked, Col. Sanders had a special secret recipe just like this valve...

Sarcasm aside, we have a setup simular to the 3000 at 1/2 psi. We fill on 5" storz or two 3" inlet hoses valved at the truck and at the hydrant. Haven't got a hydrant valve for the storz yet We have industrial hydranted systems that will flow 100 plus psi straight off the hydrant. You have to have decent venting to handle that intake without over pressuring the tank. We have filled tanks at 150 psi before, though it is not something the manufacturer likes.
    Last edited by Fireeaterbob; 11-23-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: sp
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Thread Information