Thread: Fire Academy

Forum Member

Default Fire Academy

So after months ago of wanting to join the paid on call department near me I got on in September. Yesterday all the new recruits (including me) sent our applications into the MA fire academy for the upcoming paid on call/volunteer fire academy coming up in January. I am so excited. Its going to be hard doing college, the academy and working but Iím determined to get it done. Just thought you guys might want to hear about this

Forum Member

Congrats sublime, just remember, academy is only the first step. Take this energy you have now and keep it sustained after the academy and work your butt off to learn as much as you can from the vet's.

Forum Member

Thanks, I actually have been doing that. I have been talking to a lot of the guys and they have been helping me at the drills they have. I also got to take a RIT class for the department which I liked a lot.

Forum Member

With all those committments, work, college and fire academy, it sounds like you will be trying to juggle everything from the Sublime to the Ridiculous.

Sorry, couldn't resist............
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

Forum Member

Good luck. Nice pun leroy.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut... You will be with about 50+ other people of varying ages and experience.

Your instructors are from both career and call/volunteer departments.

Do all of the reading and the studying required.

Be on time and in uniform.

Make sure your gear and SCBA is ready at the beginning of every class.

How do I know this? My son is in the call/volunteer program right now, and I work at the MFA.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Just out of curiosity ...........

How many hours?

How is it delivered - weekdays? weeknights? weekends?

What certifications do you "graduate" with?

Where is it held? (Regional delivery or center delivery?)

What is the cost to the department?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well...............

Quote Originally Posted by lafireeducator View Post
    just out of curiosity ...........
    here in maryland.......
    how many hours? 120

how is it delivered - weekdays? Weeknights? Weekends? 2 nights per week and an occasional saturdy or sunday

what certifications do you "graduate" with? national pro board ff 1

where is it held? (regional delivery or center delivery?) a county fd academy or one of the state's regional academys

what is the cost to the department? ZERO !!
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Just out of curiosity ...........How many hours?
    Massachusetts: 320 (26 weeks)

How is it delivered - weekdays? weeknights? weekends?
    2 nights a week, every other Saturday and an occasional Sunday depending on how holidays fall into the schedule. They have the same grading system as the career firefighter recruit program.

What certifications do you "graduate" with?
    The course prepares them for their Firefighter 1-2 pro broad certification, and they do have a graduation ceremony.

Where is it held? (Regional delivery or center delivery?)
    Regional.There are 3 call/volunteer programs going on now... one in Essex County, one in Berkshire County, one in Middlesex County. My son is in C/V class 34.

What is the cost to the department?
    For the course itself? Zilch, zero, zip, nada, nothing.

There is a cost to the student, as they have to purchase their textbook and workbook (Fundamentals of Firefighter Skills, from Jones and Bartlett Publishing).

The FD does have to provide the student with an SCBA unit and 2 cylinders for use at the academy as well as their turnout gear, which most FD's provide anyways.

Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 11-21-2010 at 11:59 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Mines going to be in Bristol County at Fall River. Also my department is paying for the textbook and workbook too

Forum Member

Woods ....

Sounds like what LSU FETI does here except it's not referred to as an academy but simply as a Firefighter I class. It is generally held at a host fire department/district.

The cost is about $350.00 per man plus books.

Due to the cost most departments/districts with certified Instructor I's/II's simply hold thier own Firefighter I class, or may host a class an invite neighboring departments, then have LSU personnel come out and sign off on the practicals. In some cases, a few rural departments have Instructor IIs with Lead Evaluator status, which allows them to sign off on practicals without LSU personnel.

The only "academy" LSU holds is the Recruit Academy which runs 16 weeks M-F during the day at either The baton Rouge or Pine Country facility. Cost is almost $3600 and includes a bed and meals.

Forum Member

Deputy Chief ....

Is that class a requirement for call/volunteer or an optional certification?

Is Firefighter I avaialable as a standalone course? Who can teach it? Can it be taught at the department level?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Deputy Chief ....

Is that class a requirement for call/volunteer or an optional certification?

Is Firefighter I avaialable as a standalone course? Who can teach it? Can it be taught at the department level?

The class and certification is optional... but looking at the big picture.. the training and certification can lower one's ISO rating and save the taxpayer a few bucks on their fire insurance.

As far as I know, FF1 is not a stand alone course. Most career FF's come through the State's Fire Academy, Boston, Brookline and Worcester still run their own programs but the certification comes from the written and practical exam through the Fire Academy.

There have been 35 call/volunteer classes.. the southeatern Massachusetts class that sublime (I don't know if he took his screen name from the band or a color that Chrysler offered on the Challenger/Barracuda muscle cars of the late '60's/'70's) is in is the 36th one)

My son is in class #34 being sponsored by a FD that is combination department (career/call who work per diem shifts... it's a very wealthy community) that hires their career FF's from within.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 11-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

My name came from the band . It's not required by the state but becase my whole department is paid on call besides the chief he requires that we all go throught FF I and II.

Thread Information