Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Navy Lateral to Career Department?

More and more departments are opening up there recruitment to lateral applicants only or applicants with 2+years of Full-Time experience. My question is if i was to work as a Damage controlman for the navy, would that experience count? I know Shipboard firefighting is a whole different ballgame but i wanna know what i am getting my self into as far as getting a civilian job after the military. Thank you for any input.

Default Chances

As someone who also was a Damage Controlman and was hired by a large department you can to. I wish you luck in your endeavors to get the badge....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy71 View Post
    More and more departments are opening up there recruitment to lateral applicants only or applicants with 2+years of Full-Time experience. My question is if i was to work as a Damage controlman for the navy, would that experience count? I know Shipboard firefighting is a whole different ballgame but i wanna know what i am getting my self into as far as getting a civilian job after the military. Thank you for any input.
    Many metropolitan civilian departments only care about you being a vet in that you get vets preference (points) on your written civil service exam. They could care less that you were a shipboard FF or anything else. Many have the attitude of "you dont know squat until you go through our probationary fire training program."

Once you are out of your probation, and have proven yourself as a member of the department, they might take into consideration your shipboard training and place you with a company near the harbor, or with a rescue or squad company after you have a few years in.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

In my experiences and research, You will not have the experience to make a lateral transfer. You are not coming into the position with IFSAC, IFSAC-DoD, proboard or state firefighter certifications. If you were to attempt to go into the job, you would be starting from the bottom.

Before I got hired, I did 8 years in the Navy as an Aircraft Director with 2 years as a repair locker hose team leader. Called around to my local paid departments and they wanted legit certs or start at the bottom. I ended up joining the Air Natl. Guard as a firefighter, got certified, did a few years of that with deployment, temp and years of volunteer experience. This is what eventually got me hired. Even though the Navy hypes Damage Controlman as the ships firefighters, You're just getting basic fire training that everyone else gets. If you're looking to become a firefighter after the military, The Air Force is the only way to go. You go to the DoD Fire academy, get certified and get years of experience in an Air Force Fire Department. Keep in mind that right now trying to get a slot to go to school will be extremely difficult and competitive.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    In my experiences and research, You will not have the experience to make a lateral transfer. You are not coming into the position with IFSAC, IFSAC-DoD, proboard or state firefighter certifications. If you were to attempt to go into the job, you would be starting from the bottom.
    Sorry i should have added that i am working as a civilian firefighter right now. I have all my certification including accredited academy up to a officer level. Just i would like to serve some time in the military before starting my career at a full time department (working seasonal/part time 3 years).

So coming out of the military i would be certified but i was wondering if that time as a damage controlman would count towards my 2 years full time for lateral transfer.

Forum Member

Why do you want to do military first??? And not apply to a full time dept??

Bless all in the military for our freedom, not trying to talk you out of it, but you will be a few years behind and a few years older, especially if you have certs already

Sorry i should have added that i am working as a civilian firefighter right now. I have all my certification including accredited academy up to a officer level. Just i would like to serve some time in the military before starting my career at a full time department (working seasonal/part time 3 years).

So coming out of the military i would be certified but i was wondering if that time as a damage controlman would count towards my 2 years full time for lateral transfer.
    I guess I'm confused...

I'm assuming you've recently been hired with xyz smalltown FD and looking to Lateral transfer to FDNY or some other big time dept? If this is the case, I'm going to assume no, you will not be able to lateral to the other department. Though the military experience may help with points, they will not look at it as a lateral transfer unless you were acting as a firefighter. The only job in the Navy that the Navy sends through the DoD Fire Academy (and becomes certified DoD firefighters) is Aviation Boatswains Mate-Handler (ABH), only after a few years of sea duty and going on to a crash and salvage billet. You may be lucky enough to get assigned to Crash and Salvage on your first command and that will go miles towards getting you sent to the fire academy.

As a chief once told me after I got out of the Navy, "Unless you can hand me (recognized) certifications you got from the military, You'll have to start at the bottom". As a repair locker hose team leader, I had experience, but you don't get firefighter certifications from the Navy as a Damage Controlman. Keep in mind, The recruiter's going to tell you what you want to hear to get you to sign that contract.

Now, if you joined the Air Force as a firefighter, showed the chief your officer II, inspector II and whatever else DoD certs you received in the couple of years you did as a military firefighter, I'm sure that would look great for a lateral transfer as you were a firefighter, riding the BRT, responding to emergencies, and doing the daily station duties.

-Damien

Forum Member

Too many people who get out of the military think a job like firefighter or police officer is a guarantee or even owed to them. Just compete like everyone else!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg89 View Post
    Too many people who get out of the military think a job like firefighter or police officer is a guarantee or even owed to them. Just compete like everyone else!
    How did you come to this conclusion? I have done the work to get all my fire certs, been through the academy and i am thinking of joining the military. I just want to know my options when i get out down the road. No need to come in here and try to insult me.

Default Service

Obviously Firedawg89 never served....When you get out you'll get veterans preference points when you apply if they choose to go that way. There will be a testing procedure you'll have to go through like everyone else. With the extra points you'll receive it will help your position on the list.
    Good luck in your decision....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information