Forum Member

Default Reruit with hearing loss...

I am a government employee on an Army base. Due to how remote we are our Fire Dept. on base will train locals to become DoD firefighters so they do not have to relocate any new people. I was recently accepted into the program here. I told the Chief about my hearing loss. I have about 60% deafness in one ear. The other is normal. He acted like it was no big deal. Though, the more research I do the more it seems a pretty substantial factor.

Has anyone ran into this problem before? or have any insight for me. I hate to waste my time, not to mention tax dollars on a dream that will never happen. Thanks, Kris

Forum Member

Well if he will employ you and you want the job then go for it

Problem is if you try to go to another base you might run into a physical exam problem

You might post under the fed a few threads down

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

When I was going through my hiring process I almost didnt pass the hearing exam (IED in Iraq) Chief said as long as "you pass the test" I dont care how much hearing loss you have as long as you can hear me telling you what to do!
    *Always leave the job a little better for the next guy*

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA 1582 has a hearing errata which allows for hearing loos usualy what happenes if if you have previous experience and can still function normally there is not an issue. So good luck and go for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kc850 View Post
    I am a government employee on an Army base. Due to how remote we are our Fire Dept. on base will train locals to become DoD firefighters so they do not have to relocate any new people. I was recently accepted into the program here. I told the Chief about my hearing loss. I have about 60% deafness in one ear. The other is normal. He acted like it was no big deal. Though, the more research I do the more it seems a pretty substantial factor.

Has anyone ran into this problem before? or have any insight for me. I hate to waste my time, not to mention tax dollars on a dream that will never happen. Thanks, Kris
    The physical screening for Federal Firefighters is very thorough, and includes rigorous hearing testing. Additionally you will go through yearly re-testing (physical, blood, hearing, etc.) I worked with a gentleman who was in artillery in Vietnam, and then became a career federal FF. He had hearing problems over the years, and then finally had to retire medically due to problems with his hearing.

Bottom line is, if you pass, you pass.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Part of getting hired as a Federal Firefighter is passing the Medical exam, no different then passing the medical exam to join the military.

Forum Member

Ears: Using an audiometer for measurement, there should be no loss of 30 or more decibels in the unaided worst ear at the 500, 1000, and 2000 Hz levels.

http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/st...s0000/0081.htm

Sorry for the cut and paste. Some people do not like it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg89 View Post
    Part of getting hired as a Federal Firefighter is passing the Medical exam, no different then passing the medical exam to join the military.
    Actually, it's very different. The physical standards for civilian firefighter are a lot less rigorous than for Military Personnel.

Forum Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Navy sometimes posts announcement that are GS4/7 or 4/6 meaning you start out as a recruit or trainee (GS4), sent to the fire academy and raise a grade every year given that you meet the requirements to achieve the next grade. You must meet 52 weeks time in grade to qualify for the next grade.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the Navy sometimes posts announcement that are GS4/7 or 4/6 meaning you start out as a recruit or trainee (GS4), sent to the fire academy and raise a grade every year given that you meet the requirements to achieve the next grade. You must meet 52 weeks time in grade to qualify for the next grade.
    Correct. I myself was hired as a GS4/1 TEMP NTE 1 YEAR at a Naval Installation which was in the process of closing it's doors. It had a small housing area, and due to another, different nearby Naval Installation that was using the housing area, the BRAC Closure agreement dictated that fire protection be provided until as late as possible.

It was a gamble for me, as I was a heavy truck repair apprentice with a good job and benefits at the time, but I was just not happy. Some friends who were Federal Firefighters at the time talked me into it, as they could help me jump hurdles and get me transferred elsewhere (even though I was a GS4 Temp, I still "had my foot in the door.") So I jumped at it, got hired, and kept putting in my applications everywhere. Eventually I was extended for another year, but then I got picked up at the Phila Naval Shipyard FD as a GS-5 TERM trainee. Spent a year as a 5, made it to 6, then got converted to Career-Conditional.

I have heard stories of people who have been moved to different dod jobs due to hearing loss. I personally have a friend who was having trouble with his annual hearing tests and ended up getting reconstructive ear surgery and now he is well below the limits. Just a thought for you to consider.

Thread Information