Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Several Things..Sorry

First off, I would just like to say thank you guys on here for all of your words of wisdom, kindness, and knowledge that help us small department grant writers every year. You give us hope for a better tomorrow and knowledge for a safer tomorrow and you don't hear thank you enough. Now that I have said that, it comes time that I may need some knowledge. I am helping a cousin of mines write a grant for next years fema grant. They have never attempted one before but they are in desterate need of a brush truck. I have a sucsessful pumper narrative but if anyone has a brush truck I would like to combine the two and give them thier best possible chance. Thank you. Next, My department has just taken over another small town and thier 43 square miles (pop total 1,250). They have a small stationa nd currently we have stored in there a mabas 6x6 and an open bay. We would like to try for a pumper/tanker to fill that bay to protect that town. We have several fireman that are closer to this town that our and would glady respond to thier station if the adequate apparatus is in there. I know there are a ton of variables but due to no equipment in thier town, our expanded service area, and lack of rual hydrants-would this increase my chances at all? Thank you for your imput and also the narrative! Stay Safe-God Bless

Forum Member

Now that you took it over, it's your town so the current equipment gets (on paper) spread out between the two stations. So any apparatus you have will appear as if it's already parked in both locations as far as the computer is concerned. For example if you only have 1 real pumper by AFG definition then you have 1 pumper and 2 stations, ie one station without a structure truck. That will help of course.

That does of course beg the question, what happened to the other department and their toys that they had prior to the merger/takeover. Having a truck and not putting it there is something the reviewers would like to know the reasoning behind it. Obviously same situation, having 1 truck of the type helps take care of it, but they'll still want to know what was in existence prior to you guys coming into town to handle the business.

Forum Member

Default email

What's your email address? I'll send you a brush truck narrative.
    Wolf

Forum Member

my e-mail is wittfiredept@hotmail.c..- Thank you Wolf! BC- The major problem for the other towns department is lack of membership. In several cases the calls that they had were covered by our dept anyways b/c they had limited or no response. Their dept has a lack of leadership, lack of training, and plain lack of results. Money was not a major issue however, their equipment was lack luster to say the least. they had a 1970 Mack Pumper (not pump tested since 1984) that was given to them. They also had a 1974 tanker (2 stick manual) that barely ran. I was in favor of using these to get another grant, however, our board didn't want to exend the money for the insurance and the obvious big bucks to get them up to working standards. We chose to donate them to a less fortunate dept that will get them into working condition buy swapping chasis and keeping both bodies. In the AFG eyes we do only have 1 structual FF pumper. to cover both towns (6 miles apart) we replaced (afg grant) an older pumper (sold to a local farmer who made it into a cattle truck) which leaves our reserve pumper which does not currently live up to NFPA standards. We could really use another truck, whether it is brand new or new to us. Is there an easier way to ask? Thanks!

Forum Member

Having the 1 new(er) pumper from a prior AFG won't help your cause much, but it's not an impossible task to be the computer with it since there are 2 stations. I've got several we did for 2010 that got new trucks in either 2008 or 2009 that beat the computer this year also. Probably have twice as many that didn't but point being pick the truck with the best chance of funding and bulletproof the narrative. Then sacrifice small animals to the Gods of Funding after you submit.

Forum Member

haha thats hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Having the 1 new(er) pumper from a prior AFG won't help your cause much, but it's not an impossible task to be the computer with it since there are 2 stations. I've got several we did for 2010 that got new trucks in either 2008 or 2009 that beat the computer this year also. Probably have twice as many that didn't but point being pick the truck with the best chance of funding and bulletproof the narrative. Then sacrifice small animals to the Gods of Funding after you submit.
    If that is what it takes I am loading my weapon. Now how small of an animal does it have to be?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wvfd322 View Post
    haha thats hilarious!
    Check your email. There is a little more help there. Good luck!!

Forum Member

Perhaps a large animal, such as deer or cow, with junker fire truck give better result?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by imafireman View Post
    Check your email. There is a little more help there. Good luck!!
    Thank you sir. The help is greatly appreciated!

MembersZone Subscriber

wvfd322,

Check you email.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    wvfd322,

Check you email.
    Thank you sir!

Forum Member

First off, I want to thank all of you guys for your narratives and input. Its hard put into words how much this helps small town guys like me. As of now I am a god in my dept for the few grant I have gotten for us and to be honest the only reason we have gotten them is b/c of you! I was just wanting recap my situationand look for more input. This doesn't fully pertain to grant stuff but if you have been part of the discussion you might like to know.

A few months back the small village of Irving (pop 750 in town, 275 rural) board members asked to attend one of our monthly meetings. We of cousre agreed. At the meeting they asked if we would be in terested in helping out the village until their fire dept can build into a better enity. We agree that we would respond to all calls, allow their members to train with us, get their paperwork in order, get their trucks in proper working condition for structual firefighting, as well as our cheif to work with theirs in hope of teaching him a thing or two about how to command a group of friends. Within a few months the 5 FF's they had were better trained, their trucks runnable as well as pumpable and also set up for better on scene performance, and they had a touch of leadership. The board (how they would know we still have no clue) decieded we had done enough and their dept was good to go. We backed off and let them go. 3 Nights after we stood down from auto-response to just auto-aid they were dispatched to a structure fire (fully involved trailor, down a small lane in the woods). After several minutes of no response we were paged and responed. As our engine w/5 left the station followed by a tender they responed with their engine. They beat us to the scene and to our suprise set the truck up propery. However with the small lane and craped space we were forced to leave ours at the road and (totl loss anyways) and just take man-power and tenders back. After on scene 12 minutes they were unable to get water from their pumper. (come to find out the day before their cheif had used it to was a pavilion in town and didn't refill it!!!) Our engineer took over, drafted and the fire was extinguished. Total response Irving- 1 truck 1 FF- Witt- 2 engines, 1 brush, 1 tender- 18 FF. When we took their truck back to their station 2 of the FF's were across the street at the cofee shop. At that point it was time for a change. The board then asked us to completely take over the area. Several of our fireman wanted to jump at the chance however some of us though we had better check into. After an ISO eval we found it wouldn't hurt us. We took over as interim fire dept until the end of their fiscal year as when we will ensue all fire prtection duties. Their equipment was in terrible condition and was sold to other depts. Their gear was ok but only 9 sets, we have it in storage. We kept station and all hand tools. I would love to hear any input that anyone has on this situation. Should we try anything different??...get rid of their station. we have guys who live closer to their station than ours! We would really like a pumper tanker down there thats why I am on here. Any imput would be great. Thanks guys!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Perhaps a large animal, such as deer or cow, with junker fire truck give better result?
    Lawyers work even better. Remember they're a green fuel for sacrificial fires since they reproduce faster than bamboo and ****roaches so there's no environmental issues using them...

Quote Originally Posted by wvfd322 View Post
    Thank you sir!
    I sent you one to your PM that was awarded in 05. Hope it helps.
    Have a good day.
    dfd701

Thread Information