Forum Member

Default Hello from middle Tennessee

Hello everyone,I have enjoyed the reading and signed up recently to add my two cents and ask some questions and hopefully learn a lot along the way.

As for myself, I am 31 at the time, I am married and have 1 son who loves the fire service as well. I moved down here a few year ago from Michigan for work and I am now getting back into what I love, service and protecting my community as a firefighter. I try to do some fishing when I can, a little golf here and there, play some games with my brothers at the station and enjoy the time I get with my family.

As for the fire side of my life, I am currently a volunteer firefighter with my first responder license and 3 months from my EMT. I should be taking my FF1 commission within the next month or two depending on schedule. I have my extrication, some haz-mat tech and overall operations, driver/operator, federal wildland firefighter with red card, and probably a few more certs and classes to go with it all. I am working towards a career firefighter position and would eventually like to get my medic license and probably at least an associates in fire science. I pay the bills as a licensed land surveyor and I am near going out on my own and would like that work that in with my fire career on a small time scale. Just enough to fill some of the gaps in work but definitely not taking precedence over the department. I am basically here to get whatever knowledge out of these forums that I can to help get me there sooner and smoother and also to help with my day to day as a volunteer. I am on the training board for my department and also the maintenance man for my station. So I do have some to offer as well. I appreciate all the contributions on here and any advice I can to help me get on one of the local full-time departments like Nashville, Murfreesboro or Franklin.

If you made it through this all I congratulate you and thank you for your time.

Forum Member

Hello from North Tennessee(Stewart County).

Forum Member

What county are you in?
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

I am in Rutherford County just southeast of Davidson Coutny or Nashville Metro.

Forum Member

Not too familiar with Murfreesboro but a bit further south are some pretty good departments to work for. Tullahoma and Shelbyville I would recommend. There is Manchester and Franklin that would be pretty good also. All these are in a pretty close proximity to you. Further east there is McMinnville but they are like a lot and experiencing a shortfall problem in the city.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

I have been looking into Franklin since I work there now in my surveying job. I will have the minimums met in February/March after I get my EMT-IV. I have also looked into Brentwood, though they have pretty low numbers for man power. I am in the process at Nashville and will keep trying in my hometown of Murfreesboro. Just a matter of time and where. I will look into some of the others you suggested too. Thanks for the advice sir.

Forum Member

The Chief from Franklin came in from another dept (I believe from the North). I never had much dealing with him, I mainly dealt with Chief Todd Horton and Capt Joe Polenzani, two both great guys

Forum Member

How did I miss a post in my own thread. I think I have met Chief Horton once, sounds familiar. Most of my work now involves going to City of Franklin meeting and I run into some fire personnel there. They have to approve our hydrant locations and fire protection equipment. I think they just had a hiring process not to long ago so might be a bit there. I have got to do a little prework on one of their proposed stations sometime in the future.

I have an application in at Brentwood waiting on the next hiring there with a little help from a past Brentwood employee and just had my interview at Nashville so I will be in the waiting mode on that one till they are completed with all the interviews and decision making. I have a decent amount of volunteer experience but making a career out of it would be nice.

Where are you from Captain?

Thread Information