Forum Member

Default Brush Trucks- Dually v. SRW

Hey all-

I have seen on here before when I was researching a pumper (of which you guys did a great job helping me with) that there was a discussion of Dually brush trucks V. SRW. We currently have a dually and are considering changing to a srw. does anyone have and do's or don't's about this? Our truck now is an 04' f-550 and its to heavy in most cases. To long in alot of cases, and to wide in some cases. Its manoverability is crappy. Please help me with any imput! Thanks! Pics would be helpful also.

Forum Member

We currently operate a 2005 Chevy 3500 SRW with custom flatbed. Carries around 300 gallons of water pumped by a small honda pump (Not sure on capacity). It also has a generator on board and some scene lighting. Around here, where our "brush" fires are usually cornfields and waterways, the single wheel performs a lot better than the duallys.

Forum Member

The last 2 brush trucks we have had were single rear wheels. Very good off-road but squirrelly while responding on the hardpan, especially with tank sizes over 150-200 gallons. Same story with 2 previous single rear wheel brush trucks on previous departments.

Current brush truck at both my full-time gig and volunteer gig are both duals and both Ford F-450s. Better payload capability and much more stable on the hardpan while responding. Not nearly as good off-road.

Basically 6 of one half dozen off another.

If I was looking for a pure brush truck with a priority on off-road performance and simply the stock pick-up bed, water tank of less than 150 gallons, lightweight skid and limited tool load, I would go single axle.

If looking for a multi-purpose "brush truck" with bigger tank, any kind of a work box and heavier tool and/or hose load and you could accept limited off-road abilities, I would go with a dually.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-24-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input guys, this really helps alot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wvfd322 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, this really helps alot.
    Try a search. This was discussed not long ago here with a LOT of good discussion. Our "Brush"truck is a X military 5 ton Mack,so it hardly fits as a comparison. Yes,it has duals on the back. T.C.

Forum Member

Default Super Singles

I know a couple of manufacturers have come out with a super single for the 550, we currently run 3 1 tons with singles on the back. With 250 gallons they are not as stable as a dually on the pavement but we run circles around the dually's once we are in the pastures that are soft.

Most departments in our area are moving away from the 250 gallon trucks and going with 550's with 500 gallons, the pastures are so big you spend to much time refilling the 250's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitchkrat View Post
    I know a couple of manufacturers have come out with a super single for the 550, we currently run 3 1 tons with singles on the back. With 250 gallons they are not as stable as a dually on the pavement but we run circles around the dually's once we are in the pastures that are soft.

Most departments in our area are moving away from the 250 gallon trucks and going with 550's with 500 gallons, the pastures are so big you spend to much time refilling the 250's.
    We still work a lot in the woods, so for us the smaller trucks are still the best choice, though we have used a neighboring department military 2 1/2 ton with a 600 gallon tank on a couple of occasions.

MembersZone Subscriber

500gal on a F550? Maybe on a paved road. That's about 200gal to much for gravel/dirt trail by my estimation. The Ford/Dodge/Chevy are light duty units.

Our wildland is a 5t IH 1854 4x4 with 600gal. DRW. Works great in corn/hay field fires.

Forum Member

I would suggest a single rear wheel with a smaller tank and a Mad Dog high pressure pump. This is the setup we have and it works amazingly well. We used to run the typical booster line setup and the tank of water only lasted a couple minutes. This high pressure, low flow Mad Dog system puts out plenty of gpm for brush fires, but the tank lasts much longer. It also has class a foam with just the twist of a valve. Several fire departments in this area have switched to these units with great results. Here is a video of one, and the companies info is listed in the description. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-853E9-uS_U

Forum Member

Default Here's what I would like to have setting in the station

Forum Member

Mitchrat ...

The type you posted a link to is very common in east Texas and southern OKlahoma, where brush fires are quite frequent and do pose a significant threat to property much of the year.

In our area, where brush fires still outnuber structure fires 25-1 but tend to burn slower and more predicably than in east Texas or Oklahoma, most departments still go the low-cost route and simply slip a pre-maunfactured skid, usually 200-300 gallons into the bed of a pickup truck or a utility body, generally purchased used or surplus. Some departments will spend a little more and purchase a new chassis for a skid mount, which is how our brush truck is configured. There are a few departments (with money) that have gone out and purchased a "custom" brush truck such as in the link. This is still the exception but they becoming a little more popular here now that many departments in our area have become quite well off due to the recent spike in natural gas drilling and production.

Do they each do the job? Do the bells and whistles come into play 95% of the time? probably not.

IMO it's simply a matter of how much off-road capability you want vs. carrying capacity and flexability for other roles, such as EMS response or general service/support.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 11-24-2010 at 02:47 PM.

Forum Member

These guys can also help you convert your dually to a single rear wheel:

http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/drw-to-srw.php

Forum Member

Default Good Link

Littlejoe - thanks for the link, always need more options.

We are in the Flint Hills with vast open pastures - 6 foot tall Bluestem grass. Their are still lots of ex-military 6x6's out here but depts are starting to replace with commercial 6x6's because of the cost of parts and restrictions that the FEP program puts on the trucks.

Forum Member

Hey all-

I have seen on here before when I was researching a pumper (of which you guys did a great job helping me with) that there was a discussion of Dually brush trucks V. SRW. We currently have a dually and are considering changing to a srw. does anyone have and do's or don't's about this? Our truck now is an 04' f-550 and its to heavy in most cases. To long in alot of cases, and to wide in some cases. Its manoverability is crappy. Please help me with any imput! Thanks! Pics would be helpful also.
    I've got this one figured out. Get one lighter, shorter, and narrower with better maneuverability.

Your welcome.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Here's another link for single-rear wheeled trucks.

http://www.1stattack.com/brush-fire-...ss-fire-trucks

Forum Member

We have a F 550 crew cab "brush" truck it has very poor off road performace. It really is more of a mini pumper/ water supply piece then a brush truck. A one ton regular cab with a flat bed and singles will let you carry 250 gal and you get good general off road performance. You could use a UTV with 70- 100 gal. I have worked with a few UTV's and they can go places you cant take a one ton sized pick up. To really anwser your question, single's for a "real" brush truck, with duals you have to break a new path for the tires, stuff gets stuck in them like rocks and sticks. The militay has gone to singles on all thier trucks. The plus side of duals is better stability and you can cripple a dually home with a flat.
    Last edited by rescueraver; 12-06-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Back In Black

Hey all-

Here in NJ, we run both... although we are taking most of our SRW slip on units out of service (for various reasons).

Its a giant fleet of close to 90? of these type vi engines. Our terrain in NJ varies from hardwood to sandy pine barrens.

I have to say, there isn't much we can't get through.

http://www.njffsa3.org/apparatus
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

just a suggestion, i work on trucks alot and have an offroad truck i play with as well as a dually to pull with, you may not be able to increase your turn radious by much but one thing that can help you out vastly off the pavement and not affect you much on the payment id looking into a electric or air locker for the rear differential, these are priceless when it comes to traction off the road but to switch back to the usual open differential when its time to go back home

Forum Member

I wouldn't go with anything less than a 1 ton SRW truck. I'd stick with the F-350, 3500 series trucks. AS far as a brand, that would be up to you guys. I'm biased towards Ford, mainly because they didn't ask for a handout, didn't go bankrupt, and are military friendly. But shop around.

MembersZone Subscriber

Aside from the Blanchat Mfg trucks that Mitchkrat posted a link to; I've always liked these as well.

http://firematic.com/brat.htm
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Here another single wheeled 550 with 500 gal

http://www.gfebrushtrucks.com/brush-truck-media.php

Forum Member

That's one hell of a rig, though I would have reservations about 500 gallons on a single wheel.

Back In Black

I've had an inner or outer tire catch a rock, blow out and still drove out to the road for repair...

I'm not familiar with these types of single wheels, are they a drive flat style?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Default Nice looking trucks

Quote Originally Posted by rescueraver View Post
    Here another single wheeled 550 with 500 gal

http://www.gfebrushtrucks.com/brush-truck-media.php
    Looks like they do quite a bit of work to the suspension.

All the 550's with 500 gallons around us have stock suspensions and dual rear tires - get stuck a lot.

From what I've read I like the super singles.

I have talked to a manufacture about the posibility of super singles on a F700 or similar chasis with maybe a 1000 gallons for a brush truck.

Those of you with high pressure pumps - any solutions for a remote mounted monitor for a high pressure pump?

Forum Member

Is 500 gallons (over 4,000lbs) of weight really needed?

Is an engine nearby that can fill your tank?

How do these companies get away with 60 gallon tanks in the back of Jeeps?

If Jeep comes out with a JK Wrangler Truck in 2012 it could help with the size issue, though it would not hold 300 gallons.

If Jeep would sell the J8 in the states, the Jeep Wrangler which is built on a 3/4 ton drivetrain, it would be better.......and diesel.

You can also take a 04-06 Wrangler Unlmited and add a half top to get a small "bed" for your tank - still limited in size though.

If someone wanted to convert a 97-06 Jeep Wrangler to an AEV Brute it would make a nice Brush truck also, though you would be limited on tank size. Of course, you would have a smaller chance of getting stuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information