Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question To Call Or Not To Call

Alright here is my issue

November 2nd i got phone call from my local FD stating they were going to go ahead and make me a probationary FF and that i needed to go and get 2 physicals done one was a agility and the other was medical/drug screening.

I did the physical on November 4th.

then on November 9th i called and asked if they received all my paperwork/results from the physicals and the Asst. Chief said he had not looked yet and it usually took about 3 days for city hall to complete them. He said he would call me back and let me know. He specifically said that once that was done i would come and get Fitted for gear and receive a pager.

Fast Forward to now 3 weeks later and still no phone call, now im getting a little antsy mainly b/c im so excited/happy...

my main question is should i call again and ask to see whats up? Next week i meet with my school adviser to set my next semester of classes and i really need to know what is going on as far as what days i need to be available for the FD.

I just don't want to be that "annoying" new guy.

In my opinion I would call. It has been awhile and sometimes things just slip people's minds for awhile. You aren't being pesky.

Be respectful and say you're just following up on the previous call from the A/C.

Like CGITCH says - sometimes things get forgotten, or more likely covered up in the "in" box by something more pressing.

Odds are you'll come away with either an apology and a promise to call back soon or maybe even the news that you're in.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

alright thanks I'll give them a call tommorrow.

Forum Member

I know I interviewed, and that day I went for my physical. It ended up taking a while to get the results from my physical because the Doctor who preformed it wanted a bunch of other medical information on me. Then getting a letter from that doctor also took a while. I went into the fire station several times while waiting for my results to give to the chief to keep them in the loop. I found out I got the job by being told to be at training one night.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thepaintwarrior View Post
    I know I interviewed, and that day I went for my physical. It ended up taking a while to get the results from my physical because the Doctor who preformed it wanted a bunch of other medical information on me. Then getting a letter from that doctor also took a while. I went into the fire station several times while waiting for my results to give to the chief to keep them in the loop. I found out I got the job by being told to be at training one night.
    I feel like i got the job b/c of the statement "I'll call you back so you can come get your pager and fitted for gear" He said that on Nov 2nd as he was describing what happens after the physical and he said that on the 9th

Forum Member

Can you call hr first and see if they have looked at medical ?????

Forum Member

Called today and not good news they said i didn't meet the citys standards for the physical i did which in my opinion had nothing to do with Firefighting and was a complete joke strange thing is the other kid they took on as well didn't pass this so called physical

What makes me so angry is a few months ago i tested for a town overs FD and in the testing process you had to do the "Firefighter Combat Challenge" and i passed it with flying colors but yet i some how am a failure at picking up some damn box with a few weights in it or maybe its b/c i didn't squeeze this thing hard enough with the tips of my fingers... honestly idk why i failed but I've already started the protesting with the people that gave the physical.

Even if it turns out you didn't get the job, the department has to have the common courtesy to call and say what happened. Which with over two weeks gone by it didn't seem like they were going to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGITCH View Post
    Even if it turns out you didn't get the job, the department has to have the common courtesy to call and say what happened. Which with over two weeks gone by it didn't seem like they were going to.
    Yea they didn't have that common courtesy......

like i said before I'm not giving up yet this test was completely irrelevant to anything firefighters do except climbing a ladder up 5 rings...

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Not in the fire service but ....

You need to find out what part of the physical you didn't pass so you can work on improving your results and nail the next one.

Be sure to remain respectful and not the angry young man you are understandably showing in your last few posts (trust me, I know how you're feeling, I've been out of work since being laid off 1 1/2 yrs ago other than a casual part-time job the past few months and the job search/interview process has been extremely frustrating). Perhaps there will be future opportunities with this department and you don't want to burn your bridges.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    You need to find out what part of the physical you didn't pass so you can work on improving your results and nail the next one.

Be sure to remain respectful and not the angry young man you are understandably showing in your last few posts (trust me, I know how you're feeling, I've been out of work since being laid off 1 1/2 yrs ago other than a casual part-time job the past few months and the job search/interview process has been extremely frustrating). Perhaps there will be future opportunities with this department and you don't want to burn your bridges.
    I will be finding out what parts i didn't do so well on, but not tell Monday. As for being respectful i was very respectful to the Asst. Chief on the phone in fact his tone of voice was very encouraging almost as if, he was just as shocked as i was.... he was the one who actually encouraged me to call and ask about the physical, and see what else could be done.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace52 View Post
    I will be finding out what parts i didn't do so well on, but not tell Monday. As for being respectful i was very respectful to the Asst. Chief on the phone in fact his tone of voice was very encouraging almost as if, he was just as shocked as i was.... he was the one who actually encouraged me to call and ask about the physical, and see what else could be done.
    That's great, but it was this comment
    I've already started the protesting with the people that gave the physical.
    that made me say that. I know it probably goes without saying, but to be on the safe side ... make sure you carry that respectfulness to the people who gave the physical.

Good luck.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    That's great, but it was this comment that made me say that. I know it probably goes without saying, but to be on the safe side ... make sure you carry that respectfulness to the people who gave the physical.

Good luck.
    thanks for the advice, not gonna lie i was a little heated when i posted those comments so yea it may of been a little more rude online but one thing i know not to do is bite the hand that feeds you or is about to lol

Thumbs down

You sound like you would be a royal pain in the arz to this department and yet you are on the roll yet. I doubt if you will ever get on this department, 3itching as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace52 View Post
    I just don't want to be that "annoying" new guy.
    Okay, you aren't "that" guy...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    You sound like you would be a royal pain in the arz to this department and yet you are on the roll yet. I doubt if you will ever get on this department, 3itching as you are.
    It's very hard for me to take failure and its even harder for me to admit failure when i have done a "real" physical and completed it no problem and then to fail something i thought was so easy

not sure how I'm a pain the *** when i have the asst. chief telling me i should call and inquire what i messed up. i have a feeling they are going to say my lifting technique wasn't up to par..

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Okay, you aren't "that" guy...
    haha funny

Have you considered that maybe there is a reason other than the physical why they turned you down and they just didn't say so? Maybe they checked some references, looked at your facebook page or maybe they just don't like your skin color?? You never know.

I know in the past at my day job I didn't hire people for good reason's but not the ones I gave them. Giving the real reason's may have triggered a lawsuit. Examples are a person with a bipolar condition and a convicted child molester. I would usually just say that we decided not to fill the position.

That may explain why they didn't call you back.
    Last edited by Blulakr; 11-27-2010 at 01:52 AM.
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Thread Information