Forum Member

Default yellow fire hydrants

I know hydrants are colored based on their flow rating: blue, green, orange and red. I've noticed, however, that many in my area are just straight yellow. Is there a gpm rating for yellow, or am I just rolling the dice on the flow from a yellow hydrant?

Forum Member

In our township all the hydrants are yellow, some have blue caps on the 2 1/2 ports, but most don't. Most are NST, but a good number are an older ' model ' with connections called jones snap. The flow varies from hydrant to hydrant. Some have very good flow, many do not.

Forum Member

All of our hydrants are yellow bodied. Discharge caps are either yellow or red. The difference in gpm flow per hydrant is indicated by the color of the top. Green, red, blue and orange are our colors. I don't seem to remember if there is a yellow top or not. I don't think so.

You should be able to contact your water source for your information needs. If your dept. has a Technical Service Bureau, they should have that information.

FM1
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 11-24-2010 at 03:46 AM.
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

From http://firehydrant.org/info/hycolor.html

Yellow body may indicate a private hydrant connected to a public main.

We are beyond goofy, according to NFPA. We have orange "low pressure" hydrants (up to about 70 psi), and the bonnet is color coded for the size of the main feeding it; orange, green, red in INcreasing size - opposite NFPA. Supposedly there is also black to indicate a dead hydrant, but I've never seen it. We also have a red "high pressure" hydrant system that is abandoned in place.

Surrounding communities I have seen every color under the rainbow; silver, white, red, yellow, blue, red/white/blue, etc.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

Hydrant colors vary with the community..

Ours are silver barels with orange caps, a neighboring community had red barrels/yellow caps, another has blue barrels/white caps...

We do not maintain hydrants.. that comes under the auspices of the Water divisdion of the Department of Public Works.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

About the only consistent thing about the colors of hydrants seems to be that there is no consistancy. I've seen them brown, green (with black 'trim'), yellow, red, and some places have had contests to see who can do the most imaginative job of decorating a hydrant.

I think Detroit's high pressure system had silver hydrants.

When I refurbed a training simulator here (basically an HO village on which you can run scenarios) I installed hydrants properly marked for some logical flows based on location. I'm not sure that all that many people who use the simulator even notice the different colored caps.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

My community actually does have yellow barreled hydrants with the appropriate color top for what the hydrant was when first installed and tested. We do hydrant tests every year and with growth and additions and such some might have actually changed in range from when first installed but we just note the color of the top and the flow we receive. I do not recall ever seeing a yellow top unless that indicates a hydrant that has not been tested yet and received its color coding.

Forum Member

All our hydrants are red barreled. Red tops means low flow, yellow top means "medium", and green means highest flow. These codings are based solely on the main size that is feeding them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yellow in this area indicates a county flush hydrant rather than a municipal supply hydrant. The county system operates on a lower flow and less aggressive line system here. Hooking up to a county line might (substitute will) lead to a broken line because the flow is so darn low that some jack wagon driver/op will pull a vacuum and collapse a main, or two, or three...Yeh, sometimes it is that bad. This is why we bring our own water..
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

Ours are silver barreled with red tops being 250 gpm to 500, yellow top, 501 to 750, and green top 751 to 1500 gpm. We maintain the hydrants in the city, getting paid by the water department to do them twice annually. Winter is dry season(we don't flow) and summer is wet season(flow). We also exercise the street valves in the summer.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Well where I'm at the hydrants have gray barrels, green tops. If I read the definition right, the hydrant outside my house is recommended for residental areas. That's of course if the water main isn't leaking somewhere in the county then we better bring along the tanker.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Christian1147 View Post
    I know hydrants are colored based on their flow rating: blue, green, orange and red. I've noticed, however, that many in my area are just straight yellow. Is there a gpm rating for yellow, or am I just rolling the dice on the flow from a yellow hydrant?
    Check with who maintains your water system to see what the flows might be.

We are now having a few all yellow. Problem found was at night from the cab that it was hard to tell the difference between the orange (barely usable) and the red (find another one) hydrants. Other than that we follow the NFPA guideline for colors.

Private hydrants have red barrels and the same NFPA cap colors.

Before the changes our hydrants were Kentucky Blue with white caps.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    We are now having a few all yellow. Problem found was at night from the cab that it was hard to tell the difference between the orange (barely usable) and the red (find another one) hydrants. Other than that we follow the NFPA guideline for colors.

Private hydrants have red barrels and the same NFPA cap colors.
    Same here.... I think that's the NFPA standard, right?

Yellow barrel is municipal
    Red is Private

Cap color represents flow rates.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

all ours are painted yellow. There may or may not be some indication of flow rate. That seems to be pretty standard for Monroe County and the surrounding counties.

Rochester, NY has a dedicated fire service water system. There's are yellow with white tops. Don't know what they flow, but I assume its a lot since its only for fire service use.
    Last edited by nameless; 11-24-2010 at 09:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of our hydrants are yellow. I thought they painted them that way to match our trucks!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    All of our hydrants are yellow. I thought they painted them that way to match our trucks!
    Do they double as bus stops?
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mrpita View Post
    Do they double as bus stops?
    No but hey that's a good idea, We could kill two birds with one stone and save the tax payer some money to boot.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Another perfectly good thread hijacked by the color yellow.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    One FD in the area that uses orange for their color (t-shirts, etc) has orange hydrants. The green hydrants I mentioned are in a town that has slime yellow/green apparatus...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Another perfectly good thread hijacked by the color yellow.
    You just to hate when that happens. I guess the WT will shut us down for going "Off Topic!"
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    One FD in the area that uses orange for their color (t-shirts, etc) has orange hydrants. The green hydrants I mentioned are in a town that has slime yellow/green apparatus...
    Slime yellow/green apparatus are just plain Ugly!
    Last edited by BULL321; 11-25-2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

- Capt. Marc Cox CFD

-WINSTON CHURCHILL

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Uhhhhh.........

I'll mention Yellow once and move on........ The Maryland suburbs around Washington DC (read PG and Montgomery Counties) are spread over almost 900 Square miles and contain about 2 Million people. Everything from Dairy Farms to 20+ floor Hi-Rises....... The Water (and Sewer) System is owned and operated by the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission, a Quasi-Government body. All public Fire Hydrants are maintained by them. New Hydrants are installed by developers for new properties, but under stringent requirements established by the WSSC. All Hydrants are R.D.Wood Standard, painted White with Green Tops and Caps. All have a 4.5 inch Steamer and 2 2.5 inch ports. All Threads are National Standard Fire Hose Thread (required by Maryland Law). Flows are anywhere from really good to WOW!!..... Back when we got our 92 Seagrave Tower Ladder, we ran a flow test by hooking a 1,500 gallon pumper to a Hydrant, running a 5 inch LDH Line to the Tower intake. At a 60 degree angle, extended to 80 feet (105 ft. Ladder) with both Guns flowing, we reached 1,200 GPM. We added a 1.25 Tip to the Standpipe discharge to provide a 3rd Stream and got it up to 1,500 GPM.......

The Hydrant used was on a 16 inch main in a commercial area, on a side street that we used for training quite often. Static Pressure at zero flow is normally around 120 PSI, at 1,000 GPM it drops to 105. Max that we ever got out of it was 2,200 GPM once, but it was still at 80 PSI at 2200..............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Our hydrants are not painted for their GPM flow like most books state.

We have all red hydrants that are "City Water."
    We have all yellow hydrants that are "Cal Water."
    We have all purple hydrants that are "Reclaimed Water."

Forum Member

Does anyone include fire hydrant flow info such as gpm and pressures available in front of the building when pre-fire planning a building?
    Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well........

Quote Originally Posted by InsuranceLCRep View Post
    Does anyone include fire hydrant flow info such as gpm and pressures available in front of the building when pre-fire planning a building?
    No.........

Seriously, No, we don't. Our system is of the type that simply delivers what we ask of it. There are a few places with private haydrants that we watch closely, and we make allowances for those small areas with less than optimum coverage........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information