Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank Help!

Forum Member

Default Tank Help!

Hello Forum:

We just took delivery of our "new" GI 5 Ton. Planning has started to turn this truck into our go anywhere brush truck.

I am looking for tank suggestions of what you folks have used in building your brush trucks. Cost is a factor.

I appreciate any input, help, suggestions.

Thanks.

John
    BCVFD

We bought a 1000 gal UPF for ours. Our neighbors have a 2.5 ton with 2 Military fuel tankc(600 Gal ea)bolted into it and tied together. Works good. T.C.

Forum Member

Rescue 101 and Forum:

Two 600 gallon tanks came with the truck. However, our Chief has it in his head that this set up is a pain. However, we may have to go that route if the money gets short.

The last truck we built we used a 1025 gallon tank from Tractor Supply. It works well.

I was looking for some other suggestions on suppliers of tanks.

Thanks again for your input and look forward to seeing what else is posted on this subject.

John
    BCVFD

Forum Member

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/

These guys have spent a lot of time on off road, forestry type of operations if that is what you are gearing up for. Its a quasi government site and clumsy but a lot of good info to be had. Even how to manage 12V and 24V systems together.

I don't personally know anyone there but I am sure they would appreciate a simple thank you if you find anything useful. If you are remotely involved in interface or forestry operations you will find something useful. It is well documented rather than opinionated.

Here's a Duece done up by a department near me. They have a 1100 gal poly tank centered and low pro, leaving room for storage in the bed around it. It's well set up and most of the work was donated by local buisinesses.

http://www.thirddistrictvfc.com/apparatus.asp?a=f14&p=3
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

I'd be real careful in only putting on the truck that which it can hold...

I know an engineered drawing and plans, etc would cost money that most departments can't afford, but these home made trucks seem to roll over a lot.

Be careful, brother.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Largely because typical water tank installed is WAY to large for the .mil chassis.

A M35 etc. Duece is rated at 2-1/2 (5000lb) off PAVED road 5t on PAVED road. Older 5t (M813 and earlier) are rated at 5t (thats 10000lb) off PAVED road and 10t (thats 20000lb) on PAVED road. Newer 5t are rated at straight 5t (10000lb) In all cases that is the payload. Can you say PAVED?

You staying on PAVED roads with your brush truck?

2ea 600gal pods is just right for a FIVE (5)ton 6x6. A pod filled is right at 5400lb. 2x = 10800lb. Add the mil or a fire pump a bit of equipment, 2x troops/FF and you're FULLY loaded for mil ops/wildland fire.

1ea 600gal pond is a full load (+) for a duece. Face it, a duece is a 3 axle pickup. If you get a M35A3 thats a really nicely equipped off road pickup with a tiny uncomfortable cab.

2 pods of a 5t is a great set ups Thousands in use with this setup as Sam's standard Inf BN fuel tanker (TPU (=Tank Pump Unit)). Properly loaded and balance. Use Sams instructions for installing/tieing down the pods and don't overload with extra equipment/fat FF and you're good to go with a safe offroad truck.

Note that CH47 internal pods (and supposedly newer TPU pods) have internal baffle. Always a good idea. Easy retrofit and worth doing (not pods are aluminum)

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Bucks County...

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    Here's a Duece done up by a department near me. They have a 1100 gal poly tank centered and low pro, leaving room for storage in the bed around it. It's well set up and most of the work was donated by local buisinesses.

http://www.thirddistrictvfc.com/apparatus.asp?a=f14&p=3
    Looks like a good Rig... I like the soft line on the reels, good idea. 1 1/2" single jacket?
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Thread Information