Thread: Made in USA

Forum Member

Default Made in USA

Is there a data base to determine if a product is made in the USA ? I have found several web sites that have lists , but it is hit or miss. I am in the market for a moderately priced roll around tool chest, but get conflicting info on different brands. Any suggestions ?

Forum Member

Talking

snap-on or Mac tools are still made in the USA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03
    snap-on or Mac tools are still made in the USA
    Becareful with the Snap-On tool boxes. If the corner chromes are rounded, they are built in Canada. If they are square, they are U.S. built. Most replacement parts, such as drawer rollers will be made in China. This includes the MAC boxes. Last I heard, MATCO is not U.S. built anymore, for several years. I also wouldn't consider these "modest priced" tool boxes.

Craftsman and Waterloo boxes are both made in Waterloo, IA. Difference is in price and build quality specs. The Waterloo Pro series are as good as the Craftsman series boxes. Here, you pay for the name. But there are subtle differences in strength in a "move it alot" scenario. Craftsman wins. Park it, and Waterloo wins.

Stack-On Pro series are also a good choice. But you don't want to move it a whole lot. Once every 3 yrs, is about it.

Armstrong is another U.S. built box. Not really familiar with them, but their Industrial series is worth taking a look at.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Read the packaging. Country of origin info is required on package by Fed law.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Made in USA

I was buying some replacement sprinkler heads for my yard. I had two well known brands that looked identical in construction. The one made in Mexico was $11.97 ea.
    The brand made in the USA. was $10.59.
    Pretty easy decision.

Forum Member

Thanks - Unable to locate any local (snapon only) so I may have to go online - cant read the packaging until its too late. You would think the USA stuff would be advertised more prominently. I try my best to buy USA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by notfruitybutloopy
    Okay here's what you do. Find the brand you want and go into google earth. Zoom out as far as possible and search the brand you want (Make sure you put tools etc. after the company name) If you get any results out of the USA and they appear to be production facilities, then they are not USA made.
    Not really true there Willie. There are 2 SnapOn production factories in Europe. One in the U.K. and the other is in Germany. (didn't need Google Earth)

But you are somewhat close, as in identifying where the corporate and production facilities are.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Just buy anything that is made in the USA, except no substitutes or any far east made crap.

Stay away from china made junk. The canvas grocery bags they are making have lead paint on them and therefore could get to your food products.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

One thing to keep in mind is that many businesses are very aware of the "I only buy American!" mindset of some people and they are not ashamed to take advantage of it. They will sell a crappy product that has the fancy "Made in the USA" stamp on it, knowing that the patriotic folks will buy it.

Also be aware of "Made in the USA" vs "Assembled in the USA". I have seen plenty of products that are made in China, have their parts shipped into the US, have some minimum wage assembly line worker put in the final screw, and print a huge American flag on the box with the big:

Assembled IN THE USA!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Ok - after calling the plant and headquarters - I chased down which Waterloo models are made in the USA -- shouldnt have been that hard -

Thread Information