Forum Member

Default Volunteering Options in OK and TX

I come with another question because I don't even know where to start looking. I'm probably attending Oklahoma State University next fall for Fire Protection. By this time, I will have (hopefully) graduated from Kirkwood Community College with my AAS in Fire Science. Now, as you may know, my goal is to become a career firefighter after graduation from OSU (I know I can do this without getting my bachelor's, I just want to be the first in my family to get one). I've been trying to search, with little luck, for volunteer departments (Or Part-time) that work shifts and are located near Stillwater OK. I would be happy to drive to Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Dallas, and about anywhere in between. I would be able to work about 3 shifts a month on weekends and maybe take a whole weekend when possible. I currently am in my senior year of high school and am a volunteer in my hometown, but with college being 9-10 hours away it makes it a little difficult to come back on weekends.

My Qualifications (At time of hire next fall):

AAS in Fire Science
    FFI, possibly FFII
    EMT-B
    Possibly Rope Rescue Tech
    Other Non-Fire Service Related Stuff (I can list if you wish)

MembersZone Subscriber

Hello, as far as shifts there are no depts around Stillwater that run them. But if you are interested in vol depts I am a Capt wth the Ripley Fire Dept and we are always looking for young guys looking to learn, and become better firefighters

Forum Member

Good luck at OSU. I'm a graduate of the FPST program and it will set you up well either in public or private industry. I still look back on my years there as the best in my life. As OK FF2 pointed out, it is hard to find shifts with departments. Ripley had a pretty good rep. Might want to try Ingalls Fire Protection District? I would suggest to live it up. Don't be too concerned about working your weekends unless money is an issue. Just live it up. There is plenty to do there and you only are in school once. Study hard and let me know if you have any questions as far as the program goes.

Forum Member

I want to volunteer to help keep me out of trouble I guess. I'm not neccesarily limiting myself to the Stillwater area, and am willing to travel aways if there is a suburban type department that works volunteer shifts. I want to do it to help keep my skills sharp and at least be able to train.

FireCowboy1- I sent you a PM
    OKFIREFIGHTER2- It shows I can't send you a personal message. Don't know why, so I'll leave you a visitor message. I'm very interested in volunteering for you if I in fact to attend OSU, which is more than likely.

Forum Member

I talked to some people at the Glenpook OK FD today. They have volunteers working shifts and have a decent call volume. Probably sending in an application in the next week or two in time to make the next testing process. Hopefully, from what they said, as long as I pass the tests I'm pretty much in with my "qualifications."

Forum Member

I live about 30 minutes from Stillwater and about 45 from Tulsa I know that there are a lot of wonderful volunteer departments around here some are actually paid per call like Perkins is an okay department to volunteer for but if your looking to work shifts and make a little extra money then I would say Yale they are a paid per call dept. and only about 15-20 mins from Stillwater. Good luck

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. Do you have any contact information? I couldn't seem to come up with any online.

Forum Member

Yales fire department is-(918) 387-2403
    Perkins fire department is-(405) 547-2045

Perkins If you make it on is a combination full time/ volunteer department so if you choose them it could become a full time job best of luck.

Forum Member

OK sorry I take that back perkins is only volunteer if you want to travel then Jenks on the other side of tulsa from stillwater is the one that is combination and they are paid per call/ full time. but any how best of luck with your search for the right department.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by larsen2430 View Post
    OK sorry I take that back perkins is only volunteer if you want to travel then Jenks on the other side of tulsa from stillwater is the one that is combination and they are paid per call/ full time. but any how best of luck with your search for the right department.
    I did find Jenks, but they weren't taking applications at the time. That's why I applied to Glenpool, which is combination, and they hire from volunteer ranks.

MembersZone Subscriber

For close proximity to Stillwater, Perkins is close and I believe they use volunteer staffing.

When I was there, I had a lot of friends that volunteered at Ingalls and a few at Ripley. Both were good departments for what they had to work with and the territory they had but they just didn't have many calls.

Ingalls used to be the one that utilized a lot of students when I was there.

Just start googling the heck out of it and you will find what you are looking for. Perry might still run with some volunteers, not sure though.

Have fun at OSU, I loved every minute of it. If I didn't love my job so much, I'd still be there.

Go Cowboys

Thread Information