1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default Signs/Banners in Exhibit Halls

    I am looking to clarify fire sprinkler requirements (obstructions and pattern development) as is relates to signs and banners hung in exhibit halls.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,952

    Default

    Should be fire retardant

    As far as sprinklers there are quite a few rules

    Depends if banner is to the side, below and how far, and what type of sprinkler head

    There is no set rule to give you

    But would go with three feet clear of the head


    Is this in a city that has a fire code , if so which one and what edition??

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I believe we have a handle on the fire retardant properties. The heads are an older style pendant, the exhibit hall is an older property. Salt Lake City uses IFC 2009 edition. Where did you come up with the three feet clearance?
    Thanks for you input!
    Dan

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,952

    Default

    Like I said there are a number of different rules for obstructions, so it is hard to give you them

    The three foot is not in the book but my rule without looking at the book, but I try normally to research and find the correct answer


    You might talk to a sprinkler company and they can give you some guidance

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    If it obstructs the flow from the head in any manner whatsoever, make them remove it.

    If they balk, give them the option of hiring a Fire Protection Engineer (at their cost) to prove whether or not it is an obstruction.

    99% of the time they will comply and remove the banner/obstruction. I have yet to come across the other 1%.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    pasobuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Loverly upstate NY
    Posts
    1,734

    Default

    Generally obstructions shall be 18 inches from the sprinkler/ceiling (unsprinklered building 24 inch clearance from the ceiling).

    Hangings must either be inherently retardant, or treated (and should have documentation).

    Where I work we deal with hangings every year around the holidays - they are generally about 2 feet (or more) down from the ceiling and treated material.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    tfpd109's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)
    Posts
    618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminransom View Post
    if u need signs and banners hung in exhibit halls...i can provide the best resources. I would suggest about Company is leading with display systems, printing packaging, signage banners, real estate banners and brochure printing.
    Does it ever end? Geez.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slcfpb View Post
    I believe we have a handle on the fire retardant properties. The heads are an older style pendant, the exhibit hall is an older property. Salt Lake City uses IFC 2009 edition. Where did you come up with the three feet clearance?
    Thanks for you input!
    Dan
    IFC references NFPA 13. I sugggest you check there for the applicable clearances.

    Typically, sprinklers are required to have 18" clear below the level of the sprinkler deflector but that can vary under some circumstances.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fitness equipment in your Halls??
    By Hawksonfire in forum Health and Wellness
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 12:15 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:13 PM
  3. Exhibit Opens
    By NJFFSA16 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 05:33 AM
  4. FDIC exhibit admission
    By LFD2203 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2002, 12:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register