Forum Member

Default General Advancement Question

I am planning on becoming a career firefighter and of course I want to go as high in the ranks as possible during my career. How far can you advance before you need a bachelors degree or do you even ever have to have one to advance pretty high? Does it vary by departments? Is advancement based on your skill and how you do? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Cole

Forum Member

Varies by department...I could give you my nearest career departments rank and advancement requirements but it would be completely different from the next one over.

Forum Member

Oh I see I figured it would vary by department. I was just wondering because I am currently a freshman in college so I plan to finish this year maybe the next and then go do what I want to do which is being a career firefighter.

Forum Member

A lot of departments don't care how much schooling you have, providing that you meet the minimum requirements.

Having a college education would help you in taking the entrance exam and knowing how to talk if you made it to the interview. Other than that unless the department specially requires a college degree, it is useless in getting hired in a lot of departments.

Once you do get hired it can help in achieving higher ranks, if there is an college hours requirement attached to the application for different positions, aka ranks.

There is a lot that do require a degree(s) for ranks in the Chief Officer ranges.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 12-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

There is a lot of variation, however usually you can progress up to a leiutenant/Captain without a 4 year degree. Beyond that you will need a 4 year degree, and most Chief positions are now being filled with candidates who have masters degrees.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Just fyi, our department just promoted 4 new Captains. 3 of them had bachelor's degrees, the other had an associates. Food for thought.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Getting your degree is not that difficult. When I promoted to BC 7 years ago the Fire Chief made me promise to go back and get my degree. I was 9 classes short of an AA degree. I earned an AA, a bachelors and a Masters degree.
    I graduated high school with a 2.86 GPA. Not very impressive. I found that once I wasn interesed and had a goal the classes were not too difficult.
    Instead of worrying about what you DON'T have, go to school and get it!
    You will be glad you did.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information