Forum Member

Question Minitor v pagers suck

i have had my minitor v for the past year and this is the secont time i have to send it off. the volume on it keeps gettin lower and lower even though its turned all the way up. eventually it gets so low you dont even hear the tones. when i first got the v it was very loud and eventually it the volume gets lower and lower. i sent it off and when i came back it was very loud again but now its lower again. anybody got any ideas or has anyone else had this problkem. or any help on this problem.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Yep, same problem along with crackling and ringing in the speaker. Sometimes you can squeeze the pager at the speaker during voice transmissions to relieve the ringing. Also charger failures have been common. Phantom pager beeps with recorded static with no known cause can happen also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by enginhouse2 View Post
    Yep, same problem along with crackling and ringing in the speaker. Sometimes you can squeeze the pager at the speaker during voice transmissions to relieve the ringing. Also charger failures have been common. Phantom pager beeps with recorded static with no known cause can happen also.
    I've had two out of the three issues. Knock on wood, I haven't had the volume issue yet.

Forum Member

Good Old Minitor III, which is about as old as I am is still running strong. Survived two falls off of a bin and other abuse. Right now its missing the volume knob and the replay button. It's amazing what an 8-32 screw cut to the right length and some black tape can fix.

Edit: As far as the V, we have had a few issues with the squealing. They seem to not play very nicely with certain electronics. Even my pager, when I walk by a certain computer at school it will open up like I'm holding the squelch. I know we have had a few V that have had to be sent in.
    Last edited by CGITCH; 12-01-2010 at 01:51 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe that is the first time I saw "Good" and "Minitor III" used in the same sentence.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I believe that is the first time I saw "Good" and "Minitor III" used in the same sentence.
    I must have gotten lucky...I have heard some pretty bad things about them. When I was first issued it I thought you have to be kidding me, this P.O.S., but its stood up well, and I abuse stuff terribly (Ask my cell phone(s))

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been lucky with our Mintor V units, they have been pretty solid. We still have a few II, III, and IV units in use also. I have heard that with the narrow banding that Minitor V is the only version that will work in the future. Any body else heard this?

Forum Member

I've had good luck with the V's as well. They are leaps and bounds better than the useless 3 & 4.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I had a III for many years, didn't have a problem with it. I was resistent when assigned a new V. They are bigger and heavier.. After using it for over a year I've prettymuch gotten over that. Haven't had a problem despite having it fall off my belt and kicking it across the parking lot while running in for a call several times.

If anything I think the volume is TOO loud.. even at its lowest setting it is not work, or wife appropriate.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Have had better luck with the IV's over the V's.

Phantom pages and static are most common issue with the V's that we have had. Batteries coming loose on their own is also common.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I've had my Minitor V for well over a year now, not a single problem and has never failed to trip for a call. Its been dropped, slammed, soaked, heated and smashed by kegs. Still works like a charm, my only complaint is the dam removeable belt tab. Stupid thing gets loose all the time.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Started with OLD minitor 2's that had seen much better days. Went through a coupld of abused ones before getting one that worked. Was updated to a 4 after probation and to date - no problems. I do like the standard easily available batteries.

With narrow banding - I'll soon get a 5 but I have no complaints with the 4

Forum Member

I have had the unfortunate opportunity to use 2 minitor 3 pagers. I have successfully destroyed both of them under normal conditions. The first pager was damaged in a freak accident when i fell off an atv, but that didnt finish it off. What really did the trick was not the fact that they were structurally damaged but both pagers have stopped alerting for tones makeing them all but useless. What good is a pager that does not page? just about none.

Forum Member

Sweet.....We are going to Field 16 of the V''s in the next 2 weeks.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

MembersZone Subscriber

Alternative to the Minitor...

http://apollowireless.com/WebPage.js...=820&ipid=1804

We use both the voice and alphanumeric and have had minimal issues, and we're working on about 4 years now. That said, NOTHING beats the Minitor II!!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Alternative to the Minitor...

http://apollowireless.com/WebPage.js...=820&ipid=1804

We use both the voice and alphanumeric and have had minimal issues, and we're working on about 4 years now. That said, NOTHING beats the Minitor II!!!
    I carry a VP200? I think is the model. Good pager, no complaints, you don't see too many Apollos users. For a dual channel voice store pager at about half the price of the Minitor V I don't see how you can beat it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Minitor II, III, IV will all work with narrowbanding. The issues will come with deep fringe coverage, but most users are seeing little if any difference. The other issue will be with adjacent channel users, but that is quite a way off.

If your department does not believe, and has fallen for a salespersons line, please consider donating the old ones to fire departments that cannot afford pagers. Mine is one, as well as many others, I can help you find needy users.

Forum Member

Talking

I have a min III on my belt right now Had it since new. It has been much more reliable than all of the V's we bought. 12 out of the 15 we bought have been back to depot for repair and half the chargers have been replaced.

We are now buying the swissphones & Apollo's

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And............

We went to Alpha-Numeric (Motorola Advisor Gold) in the Mid 90s and never looked back.......... I don't see us ever going to a Voice Pager again.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TylerParks320 View Post
    i have had my minitor v for the past year and this is the secont time i have to send it off. the volume on it keeps gettin lower and lower even though its turned all the way up. eventually it gets so low you dont even hear the tones. when i first got the v it was very loud and eventually it the volume gets lower and lower. i sent it off and when i came back it was very loud again but now its lower again. anybody got any ideas or has anyone else had this problkem. or any help on this problem.
    Not for the V,but I KNOW a CURE. Swissphone! I'm HARD on pagers and I've had a swissphone for over 5 yrs now. It's ONE tough pager. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 12-02-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Forum Member

Also forgot to mention... In addition to our normal paging system we are now also using a text message sent from dispatch direct to your cell phone. (nature of call / address) We absolutely love it and if I remember right, it only cost the county about $5000 to set it up. If you ask me it was well worth the money for our area.

MembersZone Subscriber

i agree the older minitor2-3-4 where better pagers than the 5, we have 3 apollo 200 pro and have been excelent no prob at all. as for text alerts i think they are great as second way of getting notified and that you get the call info but they are not reliable enough yet to go as stand alone with no voice pager. mabe some day but ma bell has some work to do before i will trust a text and text only
    Randy Meyer Chief S.T.F.P.D.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Not for the V,but I KNOW a CURE. Swissphone! I;m HARD on pagers and I've had a swissphone for over 5 yrs now. It's ONE tough pager. T.C.
    Can you give me a little more info on that Swiss Pager? I had looked at them for my officers, if i remember right can't they scan 4 channels? I would just like to hear from someone that has had one on their hip.

Forum Member

I Know they will do two,can't remember about more. I've had mine for 6-7 yrs now and it has been VERY reliable. you can get a couple days on a charge and if you get the software package and cable you can program them yourself. Contact Swissphone direct if you need more technical info,product support is GOOD. We get ours from P&W if I remember correctly. I can check if needed. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I Know they will do two,can't remember about more. I've had mine for 6-7 yrs now and it has been VERY reliable. you can get a couple days on a charge and if you get the software package and cable you can program them yourself. Contact Swissphone direct if you need more technical info,product support is GOOD. We get ours from P&W if I remember correctly. I can check if needed. T.C.
    User friendly is my only other question, but other than that Nice that will work for me, thanks for the info T.C.

Thread Information