1. #1
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,147

    Default Looking up Mack shop number

    Anybody know how to trace the original buyer of a Mack pumper using the shop number?
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Anybody know how to trace the original buyer of a Mack pumper using the shop number?
    1. Did you try Mack?

    2. One of the knowledgeable people that I know of on the subject of Mack apparatus is Harvey Eckart of Berwick, Pa. I know he has extensive files on their fire truck production, having written several books on the subject. Sorry, I don't have his street address in front of me, but you can look it up. If you don't have access to any of his books, try a public library. I'm pretty sure it's in "The Last of the Breed," if not in the others.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Yes. Contact the Mack Trucks Museum/Archives, located in Allentown, Pa. In most cases they have records indicating the original purchaser.


    http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=40

    EDIT: Chiefengineer11 beat me by 2 minutes. Harvey volunteers at the museum. If you need his number, PM me, I have it. But you should be able to get what you need by contacting the museum, they are always very helpful to owners of old Bulldogs.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 12-02-2010 at 12:42 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Anybody know how to trace the original buyer of a Mack pumper using the shop number?
    You don't know where it came from, is that it? Or you want to know where its been during its life?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  5. #5
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,348

    Default

    OP: Check your PM's.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    The truck is for sale at a new truck dealer. I saw it when we went there to do final instructions for our new pumper, and today I stumbled across it on somebody's Flickr. The discussion there included the shop number plus all kinds of speculation about where it had been. The dealer is dying to get it out of the way, so I thought I'd see if I could drum up any marketable information on it.

    Thanks to all.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    The truck is for sale at a new truck dealer. I saw it when we went there to do final instructions for our new pumper, and today I stumbled across it on somebody's Flickr. The discussion there included the shop number plus all kinds of speculation about where it had been. The dealer is dying to get it out of the way, so I thought I'd see if I could drum up any marketable information on it.

    Thanks to all.
    When you say "shop number" are you referring to the body builder's number, if it is not an all-Mack built truck? I ask because the Mack archives are stored by Mack's VIN.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    When you say "shop number" are you referring to the body builder's number, if it is not an all-Mack built truck? I ask because the Mack archives are stored by Mack's VIN.
    All-Mack, I assume. Here's the photo (credit not mine)
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    All-Mack, I assume. Here's the photo (credit not mine)
    I am highly confident that this was originally owned by FDNY, although it has been heavily modified in it's life. The dead give-away is the angle of the back of the canopy cab. Rather than being at an angle parallel with the angled side windows, it goes straight up. Mack only did this for FDNY: the straight edge was made to accomodate a set of doors that opened away from you if you were sitting in the seat with your back to the driver/officer. (The door opened toward the body of the rig.) Another give-away is the front intake and the siren speaker, as well as the make up of the discharges on the curb side of the pump. Somone in the forum commented about the high-side of the body. FDNY's did have high sides, in order to accomodate their hosebeds and "conestoga wagon" canvas covers. FDNY did not have mattydales. Someone else commented about FDNY having lime-green Macks. This was true, there were 9 of them, however this was not one of them. Those Macks the person was commenting on were later in years than this one, and were the traditional 4-door trucks that we are more familiar with.

    Yup, I am going with FDNY.

    And to add, Chiefengineer11, didn't Mack have a way of identifying FDNY rigs through the use of unique VIN's??????????
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 12-02-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    So of Can. / N. of Mexico
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Wanna bet a Department T-Shirt that was originally purchased by FDNY???
    Well if it was an FDNY rig, who ever refurbed it did a great job. A local volly department bought a used Mack rig from FDNY. It was rode hard and put away wet. It had dents and dings all over it. I told them they were crazy to even be riding in that whipped mule.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Well if it was an FDNY rig, who ever refurbed it did a great job. A local volly department bought a used Mack rig from FDNY. It was rode hard and put away wet. It had dents and dings all over it. I told them they were crazy to even be riding in that whipped mule.
    Ex FDNY Macks are some of the toughest rigs on the planet earth. If I was a volunteer dept needing something for cheap, and I had a budget to refurb, I would seriously think about doing it. But to do it, you would have to do it right.

    And back to EastKY- If you are REALLY interested, if you do get the VIN, and confirm it's ex FDNY, get me the VIN and I'll get you the complete history of it's life with FDNY. (Yes I know enough to be dangerous.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  12. #12
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,348

    Default

    Buff, I've already been in contact with MM, who confirms it's an FDNY rig, and he's going to get me the rest of the information tonight or tomorrow.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Wow! You guys are as resourceful as MacGyver.

    I saw the rig face to face and noticed the cab is painted yellow inside as well, which tells me the refurb done by Summit Fire Apparatus was very thorough--not just Bondo & Krylon.

    Interesting stuff. Thanks a million
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Wow! You guys are as resourceful as MacGyver.

    I saw the rig face to face and noticed the cab is painted yellow inside as well, which tells me the refurb done by Summit Fire Apparatus was very thorough--not just Bondo & Krylon.

    Interesting stuff. Thanks a million



    You ask and you shall receive!!


    BTW Who has it now?? What is the guy seeking, $??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You ask and you shall receive!!


    BTW Who has it now?? What is the guy seeking, $??
    Dealer in Lexington, KY, assuming it hasn't sold in the last four weeks. I think it could be had RATHER affordably. Let me check on it and I'll PM you the contact information.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Buff, I've already been in contact with MM, who confirms it's an FDNY rig, and he's going to get me the rest of the information tonight or tomorrow.
    hahahahahaha precisely who I was going to call, MM, also known as Michael Mack.....or Mister Mack......I was also going to try the 22 Battalion on Staten Island...........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    And to add, Chiefengineer11, didn't Mack have a way of identifying FDNY rigs through the use of unique VIN's??????????
    I'm not aware of any special VINs for FDNY Macks, although there could have been. Harvey or MM or JC would have to answer that. Most were CF611s, but the "611" was only the engine designation. I think it was the standard 672 c.i. block (END 673), naturally aspirated, 250 HP.

    What was unique to FDNY was their pump rating plates. That's a big tip off to an ex-FDNY. Where a normal 1000 GPM pump would be rated 1000 at 150 psi, 700 at 200 psi and 500 at 250 psi, New York has four ratings, all at higher pressures than the standard UL.

    Another tip off would be that shop number. If that's painted or decaled on the front radius panel and begins with MP, it's certainly FDNY.
    Last edited by chiefengineer11; 12-02-2010 at 09:53 PM.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Box2565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Edgewood, Kentucky
    Posts
    723

    Exclamation

    The rig in question is a former FDNY Mack delivered in 1972. Mack #CF 611 F10 1511. In 1983 the pumper was purchased by the Southern Hills F.D. at Edgewood, Kentucky (SHFD eventually became the Edgewood F.D.). Summit constructed a new body in '83 with a 600 gallon tank. You can view a couple of photos of the rig at: Ex-FDNY Mack at Southern Hills.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,147

    Default

    Thanks a ton! Do you know if it went straight from Edgewood to 519 VFD in Morgan County?
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    Box2565's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Edgewood, Kentucky
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Thanks a ton! Do you know if it went straight from Edgewood to 519 VFD in Morgan County?
    Sorry, but I don't have the answer for that one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mack CF Apparatus in service ?
    By NewJerseyFFII in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 11:23 PM
  2. Number of volunteer firefighters is declining
    By britfan1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2005, 06:48 AM
  3. Personal ID Number Systems
    By hwoods in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 09:26 AM
  4. DUNS Number Request Email
    By peterl in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 02:10 PM
  5. E-One or KME
    By Engine 101 in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 09-07-2001, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register