Forum Member

Default CPAT test/Female

I'm having issues swinging a sledge. It kills my wrist. The proctor insists I keep my hands close but it's less murderous on my wrist if I keep them farther apart. It's okay to develop my own technique and do I loose that much power/momentum if my hands are farther apart? I've had tendon issues with incline pushups and similar things. Wrists are not the strongest. I appreciate it...

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope you do wrist curls? Palm up and palm down!
    Your wrists need to be strong to do this job. I don't want to discourage you, but if you are small boned (small wrists and ankles) you might have quite a bit of work to do....
    Having your hands close together and closer to the butt end of the sledge can offer significant advantage. The hammer handle is a leaver arm. The longer it is, the more force you put through the head because you then swing it at a further distance from it's fulcrum (the hands)...
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

However, while the above post is true, you don't want to take that to the extreme and swing it like a baseball bat. You need to find what hand positions deliver the most power WHILE maintaining complete control.

Remember that dropping or letting the sledge slip out of your hands is an automatic disqualifier (if you really are running through the CPAT).

However, the exercises that the previous poster listed are good ways to help you gain strength and move your hands closer to the butt without compromising control.

Also keep in mind that a lot of your power comes from rotation of your core. If you are swinging with only your arms you are robbing yourself of a lot of power (oh, and time ).

Good luck!

Forum Member

Work on strengthening your wrists for sure. A lot of tasks put pressure on joints and our body in general. Strengthening your wrists is something you can do sitting there watching TV or something where you are not doing anything with your arms or hands. There does need to be a balance hands together and apart for control, but if the proctor is telling you something, best to listen to them.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

What about sliding? Hands apart, slide together. Wham! That would in tale coordination! Yikes! A "bull in a china store" learning coordination! Fighting for The Job sure is making me a better person inside and out! Thanks for the advice. I know I have hard work in front of me. I like hard work. Prove to The Job that I'm worthy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drjmilus View Post
    Your wrists need to be strong to do this job. I don't want to discourage you, but if you are small boned (small wrists and ankles) you might have quite a bit of work to do....
    Having your hands close together and closer to the butt end of the sledge can offer significant advantage. The hammer handle is a leaver arm. The longer it is, the more force you put through the head because you then swing it at a further distance from it's fulcrum (the hands)...
    I will go home tonight and try closer to the end... hands together. I know I can do this! I just have to find my "home."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drjmilus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yjbrody64 View Post
    However, while the above post is true, you don't want to take that to the extreme and swing it like a baseball bat. You need to find what hand positions deliver the most power WHILE maintaining complete control.

Remember that dropping or letting the sledge slip out of your hands is an automatic disqualifier (if you really are running through the CPAT).

However, the exercises that the previous poster listed are good ways to help you gain strength and move your hands closer to the butt without compromising control.

Also keep in mind that a lot of your power comes from rotation of your core. If you are swinging with only your arms you are robbing yourself of a lot of power (oh, and time ).

Good luck!
    Copy that! Rotate with the core. I do a lot of rotational/ core stabilizing exercises in the gym. Thank you so much!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by astranger8u View Post
    Copy that! Rotate with the core. I do a lot of rotational/ core stabilizing exercises in the gym. Thank you so much!
    I'll second that. I saw three women take a similar test to the CPAT last weekend, and they all used a lot of core rotation to move the sled. It also helps save your arms for the next upper body event.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is the CPAT, right? If so, I vote for also using spring loaded hand grippers to strengthen your grip also. Carry one in your center console and use it at stop lights: 3 sets: 20 right, 20 left, repeat, repeat. I am small boned, and had weak wrists, until wrist curls and grippers.

If it is the Cpat, then go to your gym, set a pulley machine up to the top pulley is waste high. stand so you face 45 degrees the machine, then step forward so your back foot is (almost) right under the pulley. rotate, imitating the swing of a baseball swing, using the pulley for resistance. Return slowly to original position. I woudl start with 60 lbs., do 3 sets of 20, work up to 90 or 100 lbs over a 12 week period.

I have my kid do the same thing for shooting for lacrosse, but with the pulley up and behind her shoulder. In 3 months, she went from shooting 45 mph to 75 mph. Force = Mass x acceleration.... this works!

If you are talking about the Biddle, I have an article on my site that has diagrams and picture on it, or I would post it here. The article is the Biddle Addendum. If you search up my name (Jen Milus) and Biddle Addendum in your search bar, it will take you to that page. Scroll waaaaaay down the page until that article. It will help you with very simple ways to improve your performance on the Biddle too!!!

There's alot more to it than that. Training for the CPAT is just the beginning. You need to be able to blow that test out of the water to make it through the academy and succeed in a department...
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 12-03-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: left out stuff
    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Thread Information