Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Heading to Houston on the 5th

I'm heading to Houston on the 5th and eventually heading to Kosovo on the 9th.

MembersZone Subscriber

With who? when did you apply?

Forum Member

The job is with KBR and I had sent a resume months ago and got a cll out of the blue. The job is for an Assistant Chief though...

Forum Member

well that's good news
    Last edited by airforcefire520; 12-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Forum Member

Well, the job is still open. I lasted 4 days in those CHUs. It isn't the life for me. It's a great department, though, and a great opportunity for someone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIFD01 View Post
    Well, the job is still open. I lasted 4 days in those CHUs. It isn't the life for me. It's a great department, though, and a great opportunity for someone.
    4 Days......Damn Dude how bad were the CHU's

Forum Member

Itwas just too small for me. For other guys it was fine. I think the problem for me was that it felt like I was trapped in a box. I think that had their been a window out on to the world it might have been different... I'm really disappointed that they wouldn't offer me an alternative.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIFD01 View Post
    Itwas just too small for me. For other guys it was fine. I think the problem for me was that it felt like I was trapped in a box. I think that had their been a window out on to the world it might have been different... I'm really disappointed that they wouldn't offer me an alternative.
    I'm sure your employer was disappointed when you quit after 4 days.

GIFD01
    Thanks for laughs but think before trying other contracts, especially in Afghan or Iraq. Living - even for A/C's range from 20 man tents to a measley 7x7 room in a B-hut. However, majority of us have done contracts for a while and know what to expect. In short, you would not make it on most contracts if you seek and expect "cushy" living.

Stay stateside and enjoy your retirement.
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emtguy625 View Post
    GIFD01
    Thanks for laughs but think before trying other contracts, especially in Afghan or Iraq. Living - even for A/C's range from 20 man tents to a measley 7x7 room in a B-hut. However, majority of us have done contracts for a while and know what to expect. In short, you would not make it on most contracts if you seek and expect "cushy" living.

Stay stateside and enjoy your retirement.
    WTF are you talking about? After i made A/C in iraq i had my own wet chu, phone line, and dedicated computer. I miss that crap.

I do not, however, know anything about afghanistan.

Pete,

Thanks for correcting me. I was in Iraq 2005-2006 and the bases I worked on (TQ, opened Striker and Ramadi) were not built up yet. I forgot they dumped tons of money into OIF and neglected OEF. Now they are surging here they are building up these bases in Afghan. So maybe by my 2nd or 3rd year here I can enjoy better living but until then I make a 7x7 room seem bigger. I was in a 20 man tent for first 2 1/2 months. Ofcourse too, every two weeks make up for it.

As I mentioned before, those who have done this before know what to expect. It is a reality check coming over and living the way we do but you make do and take it day to day.

We probably know some of the same people as well. My WSI SAP was in the 400's.

Peace
    Thank you to the brave men and women of our great military, past, present and future for allowing my right to express my opinion and my opinion only, not representation of any company I may work for.

Forum Member

Hey emtguy, just curious and if you don't mind my asking, how long have you been doing the contract thing and what were you doing before? I read where you asked why I would want to leave a GS-7 position and was hoping for a little further insight into whether you thought that was a bad idea or not, and if so why? Not looking for you to make my decision for me by any means, I just appreciate different perspectives. Take care and thanks..

I been doing this contract thing since 2005. Prior to that I worked as an EMT and have over 20 years in a volunteer FD. Ultimately it is the money that drives a person to do this. There is a sense of pride BUT the pay just can't be beat. This is for Middle East contracts. However, Kuwait, Saudi and UAE pay less with a living allowance but still decent because up to 91k or so is tax free as along as you meet the requirements. Once you into the contract world you learn of the many companies and places contract FF's are at.

IMHO leaving a DoD position for over here is a bad idea for a few reasons. First is a job is tough to come by in the states, let alone a DoD job. Two, if you generally happy and/. or married or kids, really think and talk about doing this. I have seen too many come over here married end up single and broke.

I chose to keep doing this because I want to retire early, continue traveling the world and I simply enjoy it. You meet a lot of folks from all walks of life and make friends for life. Can't say it is all peachy or that we get along all the time but all of us are here to do a job and we get it done. And yes, there are always the few that make you wonder how they became a FF or a command officer.

So I won't totally say not to do this but to think it through before making any rash decisions. This is not for everyone.
    Last edited by emtguy625; 12-26-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Stay DoD - you will be glad you stayed when the day comes to collect that retirement check. Believe me, that day comes sooner than you could ever realize.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input gents; take care and stay safe

Thread Information