Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Handling a situation

A career friend of mine from another state called we were discussing a problem that arose after a structure fire. Let me see if I can lay it out like he talked so bare with me.

After the structure fire a company officer asked for a shift meeting with the shift commander, ast. chief and the chief. In the meeting the company officer proceeded to call out the ast. chief in issues he saw wrong from his point of view. From what my friend said the company officer feels that the ast chief who according to the chief on a normal day his duties are mainly safety on the fire ground tends to freelance. He used the guys from his station to help keep the energy up in the attack. The company officer never once stated anything that he did incorrectly. The chief tried to defuse the situation rather than call an end to the meeting with the shift.

I hope I got that like my friend laid it out on the phone.

The questions are,

How should the company officer have handled the situation?

How should the chief have handled the situation?
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Could still use more info about this..." company officer proceeded to call out the ast. chief". Was this done with respect (maybe this could have been different) or in a confrontational way (that was stupid,you could have killed someone) ?

Also, I think it was the right thing trying to defuse the situation and deal with it instead of just ending the meeting, ignoring it and hoping it will go away.

There's still too much about the meeting, and maybe leading up to it, we don't know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Could still use more info about this..." company officer proceeded to call out the ast. chief". Was this done with respect (maybe this could have been different) or in a confrontational way (that was stupid,you could have killed someone) ?

There's still too much about the meeting, and maybe leading up to it, we don't know.
    I called the friend back and he said the consensus was it was in disrespect and quite confrontational.

I am like you on the info. However good or bad, I am not a fan of a setup period. To me if it was in attempt to gain favor with the men under the company officer it was even more wrong.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Thread Information