Forum Member

Default Pay for 24/48 Shift.

Can anyone tell me what a good hourly pay is for a 24/48 hour shift? I'm not 100% how the pay cycle works, but I do know that it does not have a kelley day. Thank you for your answers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firenut477 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what a good hourly pay is for a 24/48 hour shift? I'm not 100% how the pay cycle works, but I do know that it does not have a kelley day. Thank you for your answers.
    Not really sure how to answer your question, but I do know a lot of local depts pay equivalent to $40k - $50k starting, plus overtime, plus paramedic pay, plus everything else like education pay, special certs, etc.

I think 24/48 ends up with around 56 hours a week - so you can take that and multiply it by how many weeks you work (48?) and then divide the salary by that ($50,000/2688 = $18.6/hr).

Someone else may have a better way of figuring that out. I think overtime pays time-and-a-half (1.5).

Forum Member

24 / 48 averages 56 hours a week.

52 weeks working 56 hours a week is 2,912 hours on duty over a year's time.

52 weeks working 40 hours a week is 2,080 hours, so a 24/48 shift will have to be paid 832 "scheduled"overtime hours. (2,912 less 2,080)

832 hours at 1 1/2 overtime rate is 1,248 hours. (832 x 1.5)

2,080 "straight time" hours + 1,248 "overtime" hours means that a person working a 24/48 shift will be paid for 3,328 hours for a year's work.

If you know the annual pay, divide it by 3,328 to get your hourly rate. (that will seem like a low number, but remember, you're getting paid another 1,248 hours per year over someone working a 40 hour week)

If you know your hourly rate, multiply it by 3,328 to get your annual pay.

Once you see this, you must be careful when comparing your pay with someone who works a 40 hour week. Your hourly rate is low, but your annual pay exceeds what someone working a 40 hour week at your hourly rate would be.

If you are trying to figure out how much to pay a new firefighter, I've found that the easiest way is to determine the annual rate, and work back to an hourly rate. This way you can equate the annual pay of whatever other position that is determined to be of equal value to the municipality and work from there.

Don't get me started about unscheduled overtime and the inherent inequity involved with it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Uh, most fire departments that are paid are exempt from overtime after 40 hours from FLSA. So you don't acrue OT until you're over 53 hours a week. Unless of course you're working for a federal department. So this guys math is wrong for 95% of the fully paid departments out there.

If it's your department, ask HR. They should know the hourly rate, specifically YOUR hourly rate at all times. After all, they're paying you.

If it's another department your asking about, you could go the same route. Or use the guy aboves calculations, only use 53 hours as a standard week and 3 each week of OT.
    Original poster (Firenutt477) shows that he is from KY, as am I. Firefighters in KY do not suffer any exemption from overtime rules. Over 40 hours per week is O/T. These numbers are correct for 100% of the fully paid departments in KY.

As far as asking HR, my experience is that anything that is outside the "normal" 40 hour workweek is difficult for them to grasp. I'd start there, but I'd do my own math and make sure I am getting the correct pay.

Forum Member

One of the best ways to find out would be to find comparison Cities/Departments in your area that are on the 24/48. This would give you a baseline for departments in your local market. If you're developing a baseline to negotiate with the City, then you want to take into account departments that you may lose personnel to because of better pay and benefits.

Most salary and benefit information is usually available on each City's website under Human Resources. You should also be able to call the human resources department. Base salary and benefit information is open to the public.
    Fire and EMS Shift Calendars and Day Planners
    www.bwprintworks.com

Thread Information