Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Forum Member IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    655

    Default Overzealous member with inaccurate IP tracker

    This is just a warning to others.

    I have recently been reported to the Webteam by shmarleybarlow http://www.firehouse.com//forums/member.php?u=259317 because he thinks that I have multiple accounts. I believe he thinks so because I posted in the same thread as someone else did four years ago that has a similar name. Evidently he runs IP tracker software and he states that our addresses match.

    Watch out for overzealous members with faulty software. They may report you next.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Howard County, MD, USA
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Two things...

    1. It is possible for your IP address to match someone else's, especially if there is a significant time delay between when they were used. IP addresses are often not dedicated to one particular computer or physical address. Someone with an older dialup service is likely to have a different IP address each time he or she connects to the internet. Someone with an always-on broadband connection typically gets a new IP address every so often, which can vary from provider to provider. Someone else in the same general area and with the same ISP can have an address you've recently had.

    2. I used to own and run my own message board based on vBulletin, the same software used here. I know quite a bit about web development and HTML. I can tell you that the only information someone can get about your post is the information sent in HTML tags from the server to your browser, and your IP address is NOT sent along with each post. The IP address used when a message is posted is recorded in the vB database in a record for each post. It is only sent to the browser when someone with an appropriate login (administrator, and maybe moderator, depending on how the privileges are set up) requests it. Now, that being said, it is also possible for someone who lacks the proper credentials to see that information, if they have a software utility that exploits a security flaw in vB. In other words, if they hack in. I don't know what security flaws still exist in vB anymore, but I assume that just with any other software, there are probably still a few ways that it can be hacked into so that someone can see and do things they aren't supposed to.

    It is also possible that your IP address could have been discovered by means that have nothing to do with this message board. For example, if you've ever had an email exchange with that member, your IP address can be easily determined from information hidden in your email. But there is no legitimate way for an ordinary member to get your IP address from your posts here.

    So my final advice is don't worry about it. Having the same IP address today as someone did four years ago proves nothing. And if someone is claiming they can see the IP addresses you're posting from, they're either lying to scare you, or they are doing something inappropriate themselves.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

    The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

  3. #3
    Forum Member IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Thanks for the info. I thought it sounded fishy. I think that he was reaching for excuses because I called him out on reporting me. How did I know it was him? He sent me a snarky message accusing me of having multiple personalities and that I had been reported. That just served to p!ss me off.

    He'll probably report me for dropping his screen name in this thread but that is one banning that I would be happy to serve.
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 12-07-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I thought it sounded fishy. I think that he was reaching for excuses because I called him out on reporting me. How did I know it was him? He sent me a snarky message accusing me of having multiple personalities and that I had been reported. That just served to p!ss me off.

    He'll probably report me for dropping his screen name in this thread but that is one banning that I would be happy to serve.
    Why the charade?

    Better to just say nothing, than take the stage with these melt downs.

    Besides the fact that your IP is the same, if anyone had any doubt, both accounts have identical diction and wording, identical FDNY buff stuff, ect...

    Each person has a unique writing style, the pattern with you're two accounts is very obvious. If you look like a duck, talk like a duck and walk like a duck... but I'm sure it's all a coincidence

    An IP is painfully easy to get, more novice users can start with a netstat.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Howard County, MD, USA
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I thought it sounded fishy. I think that he was reaching for excuses because I called him out on reporting me. How did I know it was him? He sent me a snarky message accusing me of having multiple personalities and that I had been reported. That just served to p!ss me off.

    He'll probably report me for dropping his screen name in this thread but that is one banning that I would be happy to serve.
    There's really no point in getting upset about it. I've been accused of being some other people, too. The fact that I've made it painfully obvious on how to confirm my true identity hasn't seemed to have done much to dissuade that accusation from popping up from time to time.

    If someone wants to think something, they're going to think it, and they'll find any excuse to continue believing what they want to believe, no matter how much sense it makes (or doesn't), or whatever. So like I said, there's really no point in getting too upset about it. That's one argument that's pretty easy to avoid.

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    An IP is painfully easy to get, more novice users can start with a netstat.
    Oh...I didn't realize that. That's very interesting. In fact, I'm not even sure if I believe it. Tell you what...Make a believer out of me. Go ahead and post the IP address this message was posted from. Post it right here in public.

    I'll wait with bated breath...
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

    The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    Oh...I didn't realize that. That's very interesting. In fact, I'm not even sure if I believe it. Tell you what...Make a believer out of me. Go ahead and post the IP address this message was posted from. Post it right here in public.

    I'll wait with bated breath...
    I'm not going to spoon feed you this one in order to make you a believer. DO some research, this is nothing new. Looking into what I posted would have saved you the waste of your cute little post.

    Btw, you again?! Your arrogance is only matched by your ignorance. You continue to murder your reputation on this site and you're not even a ff yet.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Howard County, MD, USA
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    I'm not going to spoon feed you this one in order to make you a believer. DO some research, this is nothing new. Looking into what I posted would have saved you the waste of your cute little post.

    Btw, you again?! Your arrogance is only matched by your ignorance. You continue to murder your reputation on this site and you're not even a ff yet.
    I'm not asking you to spoon-feed me anything. I'm just asking you to back up your claim. You said obtaining someone's IP address was "painfully easy to get" but apparently it was easier for you to tell me why you weren't going to do it than to actually do it.

    Big surprise.

    Prove me wrong.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

    The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default Still not going to spoon feed you

    Nope, I'm not giving into you JR. You want everything handed to you.

    Back it up? lol, if this wasn't such common knowledge and you weren't such an arrogant a s s umer (i.e. wasting time challenging it before actually finding out) I might have humored you. I understand not everyone knows everything.

    Save yourself the embarrassment and look it up before stirring the pot. Once you find out, you can come back here and confirm you were wrong.

    considering the fact you went from....
    Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    I'm not even sure if I believe it.
    to....

    Quote Originally Posted by JJR512 View Post
    Prove me wrong.
    So now the tables turn, it's your turn to actually find out. I'll wait for the confirmation that you are indeed wrong and your challenge was needless.

    You will not get an answer from me, I won't go around this circle with you again. And no, you'll soon find out that doesn't make me wrong....as you say "BIG SURPRISE"

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Howard County, MD, USA
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    Nope, I'm not giving into you JR. You want everything handed to you.

    Back it up? lol, if this wasn't such common knowledge and you weren't such an arrogant a s s umer (i.e. wasting time challenging it before actually finding out) I might have humored you. I understand not everyone knows everything.

    Save yourself the embarrassment and look it up before stirring the pot. Once you find out, you can come back here and confirm you were wrong.
    I don't want anything handed to me. It's not like I'm asking you to tell me how to do something. I'm just asking you to prove that YOU can actually do what you claim.

    And look what up? Seriously, look up what? I already know that IP posts are not sent to the browser unless the user is an administrator, and possibly a moderator. I know that for a fact.

    That's why I continue to not believe you can post my IP address. I didn't go from that to anything else; I didn't believe you to begin with, and when I asked you to prove me wrong, I still didn't believe you. And I still don't believe you now. And you've done absolutely nothing to change my mind about that. Seriously...you're going to ask me to go prove myself wrong? That is ****ing hilarious. If YOU can't prove me wrong, then we're done, as far as I'm concerned.

    You had your chance to put me in my place...and you had NOTHING.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

    The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

  10. #10
    Forum Member IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    Why the charade?

    Better to just say nothing, than take the stage with these melt downs.

    Besides the fact that your IP is the same, if anyone had any doubt, both accounts have identical diction and wording, identical FDNY buff stuff, ect...

    Each person has a unique writing style, the pattern with you're two accounts is very obvious. If you look like a duck, talk like a duck and walk like a duck... but I'm sure it's all a coincidence

    An IP is painfully easy to get, more novice users can start with a netstat.
    I'm glad that you're an expert on diction. I am also blessed to know some really great retired FDNY guys and have a great interest and respect for fire service history. But a coincidence is just that... a coincidence. You make baseless, bullsch!t allegations and I will not stand for it. I just want everyone to be warned about you and your BS. You've only been a member here for a few months, yet you are throwing accusations at me???

    Now go away kid, you bother me.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    I'm glad that you're an expert on diction. I am also blessed to know some really great retired FDNY guys and have a great interest and respect for fire service history. But a coincidence is just that... a coincidence. You make baseless, bullsch!t allegations and I will not stand for it. I just want everyone to be warned about you and your BS. You've only been a member here for a few months, yet you are throwing accusations at me???

    Now go away kid, you bother me.
    Kid? lol, says the guy who won't stand for baseless allegations.

    Save it, you're full of it.

  12. #12
    Forum Member IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    Kid? lol, says the guy who won't stand for baseless allegations.

    Save it, you're full of it.
    Now you're sending me PM's alluding that you know who I am. Maybe you are the one that is full of it.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  13. #13
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    Evidently he runs IP tracker software and he states that our addresses match.
    You can't get someone's IP from a post they make on the forum. (The people hosting the site can; people just reading it can't. Some fora record user IPs but very few post them back to the forum unless it's for people with admin level access to read.)
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 12-07-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  14. #14
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    An IP is painfully easy to get, more novice users can start with a netstat.
    But only truly novice users think you can get someone's IP from a post they made on a forum...

    By all means, dazzle us with your expertise. What IP am I posting from now?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    But only truly novice users think you can get someone's IP from a post they made on a forum...

    By all means, dazzle us with your expertise. What IP am I posting from now?
    it didnt work on the current post so I went back to a previous one.....130.215.36.61

  16. #16
    Forum Member IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    it didnt work on the current post so I went back to a previous one.....130.215.36.61
    For anybody watching, that IP is hosted by the Worchester Polytechnic Institute. He probably mentioned being there or something and you looked up one of their IP's.

    How come your all-seeing software wouldn't work on his recent post? Problems?

    How about putting my current one out there?
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 12-07-2010 at 11:16 PM.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    it didnt work on the current post so I went back to a previous one.....130.215.36.61
    One thing here Dudley, on a DSL connection there is no static address. To prove my point, a couple of years ago I wanted to put a email server on a website for a company I owned and I was told of this extra thing I was going to have to add/do/pay for to get the server to work as their DSL had no static address. Every time you logged off and on to the system it has a different isp
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?Ē (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Howard County, MD, USA
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    One thing here Dudley, on a DSL connection there is no static address. To prove my point, a couple of years ago I wanted to put a email server on a website for a company I owned and I was told of this extra thing I was going to have to add/do/pay for to get the server to work as their DSL had no static address. Every time you logged off and on to the system it has a different isp
    Right, they probably told you that you had to pay extra to get a "static address".

    However...While a dynamic address (one that changes from time to time) might make it difficult to do hosting from your home computer, it actually isn't a major obstacle to people like shmarleybarlow who want to see if two different user names might be the same person.

    You see, if you log off and back on again, your IP address might be different, but most of it is actually going to be the same. For example, it might 172.16.122.1 one time, then 172.16.122.23 another time. Your local ISP might own the whole 172.16.x.x range, which includes 65,536 different addresses. People in your neighborhood with the same ISP probably always have 172.16.122.x; the next neighborhood over might have 172.16.123.x; and so on.

    So people like shmarleybarlow, who are looking to make trouble, will just see that Username1 has an IP of 172.16.122.1, and Username2 has an IP of 172.16.122.89, and conclude that they are the same person. They might be, but they could also just be people that coincidentally live near each other, and use the same ISP. For example, there is a guy that lives three houses over from where I live, and he's a firefighter (of a different volunteer company). As far as I know, he does not post here, but if he did sign up, and shmarleybarlow somehow actually did find my address and his, he might conclude that I've signed up with a new username.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

    The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

  19. #19
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmarleybarlow View Post
    it didnt work on the current post so I went back to a previous one.....130.215.36.61
    Nice try. But wrong. You've looked up old information previously posted on the forum, probably when you were posting under another or your many aliases.

    I call bullsh|t.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  20. #20
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post
    For anybody watching, that IP is hosted by the Worchester Polytechnic Institute. He probably mentioned being there or something and you looked up one of their IP's.
    This came up in discussion with another regular troll several months ago. He couldn't track IPs then either.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LODD PROTOCOLS
    By shoney6308 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2002, 08:20 AM
  2. WHO IS A ACTIVE MEMBER?????
    By Fire827 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-08-2001, 02:32 PM
  3. New Member
    By firetdriver_99 in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2001, 12:57 AM
  4. oldest member and longest length of service
    By larrycook in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2001, 03:44 PM
  5. new member
    By mfd632 in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-1999, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts