1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    23

    Default Orlando F.D. Recruit Academy

    Has anyone been through the recruit process at Orlando Fire Department recently? And if so, what is the process like after the written test (or once you're hired on)? Is it the typical 3 -6 month rookie school?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by volltmartin View Post
    Has anyone been through the recruit process at Orlando Fire Department recently? And if so, what is the process like after the written test (or once you're hired on)? Is it the typical 3 -6 month rookie school?

    Thanks!
    Orlando Does not hire non certified firefighters. They used to (occasionally) do a non certified exam, but I believe that is a thing of the past. You must have Florida EMT and Florida Firefighter 1 and 2 to even apply.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Yeah, I read that you must be FL certified 1 & 2 to apply. That really stinks because I've been trying to relocate to FL for 2 years, but I can't afford to take off work and go to Ocala and sit for their reciprocal testing. That's if they even accept my work now. The guy at the Fire College said they would do it on a case by case basis, so there would not even be a guarantee that they would even accpet my current certs.

    Good luck to the FL guys. I hope that their financial woes are better now though. At one time they were talking of laying off quite a few FFs.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    23

    Default Orlando Fire Dept. Probationary question clarification

    Actually my question is what is the probationary period like once you've been hired on? I know some depts. Put you on with a crew right away where as other depts. have a probationary/rookie school you have to go through (even if you are fully certified) before you're assigned to a station/crew.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default Ofd

    VM- You will go through a 6 week recruit class, then a 1yr probationary period, of which, you will be taking a few tests throughout. OUTSTANDING
    DEPT!!!!!

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bossier Parish, Benton LA
    Posts
    197

    Default

    can it really be outstanding if they laid off any number of firefighters?
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!


    Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic


    When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default

    fireguy- "laid off any number"? Im not sure what you are trying to say, but, they basically took a pay cut to keep from laying off any ff's. That says alot about being an 'outstanding dept'.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bossier Parish, Benton LA
    Posts
    197

    Default

    does the number 45 ring a bell?
    did they really have a choice about the paycut?
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!


    Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic


    When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default Ofd

    Fireguy-

    AGAIN, those 45 were NEVER laid-off because every ff on the floor voted to take a pay cut to keep them. "Did they have a choice?"- Yes. Pink slips were already handed out. The union had to move fast to keep them, and they did. And common sense would tell someone that they probably wouldn't be hiring again in less than a year after laying off 45 guys.?????

    I will say this, then be done with this issue. What makes an 'Outstanding Department' has nothing to do with improper management of the city or national/global economic depression. Its what goes on 'on the floor'. I have yet to find a department that has the honor, pride and respect that OFD members have for the fire service and for one another. I know, I worked there. I'm not saying there aren't any out there, I have just not scene it yet.

    Also, before you speak negatively about an issue, you should have your facts straight and have first-hand knowledge on the subject. Good luck with whatever it is you do.

    VM-if you have any more ?'s about the dept, let me know. Good luck!

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firesurf09 View Post
    Fireguy-

    AGAIN, those 45 were NEVER laid-off because every ff on the floor voted to take a pay cut to keep them. "Did they have a choice?"- Yes. Pink slips were already handed out. The union had to move fast to keep them, and they did. And common sense would tell someone that they probably wouldn't be hiring again in less than a year after laying off 45 guys.?????

    I will say this, then be done with this issue. What makes an 'Outstanding Department' has nothing to do with improper management of the city or national/global economic depression. Its what goes on 'on the floor'. I have yet to find a department that has the honor, pride and respect that OFD members have for the fire service and for one another. I know, I worked there. I'm not saying there aren't any out there, I have just not scene it yet.

    Also, before you speak negatively about an issue, you should have your facts straight and have first-hand knowledge on the subject. Good luck with whatever it is you do.

    VM-if you have any more ?'s about the dept, let me know. Good luck!
    I'm with this guy...Fireguy you haven't a clue about the department, and everything they stand for. And by the way, it was 46, not 45. Why is that relevant? because everyone in that department was behind "The 46" as they came to be known. All you saw on peoples crusty leather lids was "46", it was everywhere. Thousands showed up for the rally downtown, it made national news, in part thanks to a very strong union/BROTHERHOOD. You will be hard pressed to find a department, especially in Florida, that is as well respected and looked up on as OFD.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bossier Parish, Benton LA
    Posts
    197

    Default

    well sorry if I've never been anywhere except TX and LA.
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!


    Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic


    When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    can it really be outstanding if they laid off any number of firefighters?
    Are you serious? The City wanted to fire them, not the department. OFD is a GREAT department

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    S.Florida
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Thanks, firesurf09
    That was exactly what I was asking about.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    layinonair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Wow, there is way too much drama going on in all areas of this forum right now, can't everyone just be happy the department is testing and move on from it? The issues in the past have been handled. This is more than a great department to work for, the pride and tradition is through the roof. Good luck to all who apply and good luck in testing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fire Academy Recruit
    By k.goodman in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM
  2. Recruit Academy
    By divisionchief in forum Recruitment and Retention
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 12:36 AM
  3. Recruit Academy
    By WRFDTO in forum Emergency Services Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 08:45 PM
  4. Recruit Academy
    By lcfire2601 in forum Emergency Services Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 03:09 AM
  5. Starting Academy
    By CaptBob in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 01:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register