Forum Member

Default Orlando F.D. Recruit Academy

Has anyone been through the recruit process at Orlando Fire Department recently? And if so, what is the process like after the written test (or once you're hired on)? Is it the typical 3 -6 month rookie school?

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volltmartin View Post
    Has anyone been through the recruit process at Orlando Fire Department recently? And if so, what is the process like after the written test (or once you're hired on)? Is it the typical 3 -6 month rookie school?

Thanks!
    Orlando Does not hire non certified firefighters. They used to (occasionally) do a non certified exam, but I believe that is a thing of the past. You must have Florida EMT and Florida Firefighter 1 and 2 to even apply.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, I read that you must be FL certified 1 & 2 to apply. That really stinks because I've been trying to relocate to FL for 2 years, but I can't afford to take off work and go to Ocala and sit for their reciprocal testing. That's if they even accept my work now. The guy at the Fire College said they would do it on a case by case basis, so there would not even be a guarantee that they would even accpet my current certs.

Good luck to the FL guys. I hope that their financial woes are better now though. At one time they were talking of laying off quite a few FFs.

Forum Member

Default Orlando Fire Dept. Probationary question clarification

Actually my question is what is the probationary period like once you've been hired on? I know some depts. Put you on with a crew right away where as other depts. have a probationary/rookie school you have to go through (even if you are fully certified) before you're assigned to a station/crew.

Forum Member

Default Ofd

VM- You will go through a 6 week recruit class, then a 1yr probationary period, of which, you will be taking a few tests throughout. OUTSTANDING
    DEPT!!!!!

Forum Member

can it really be outstanding if they laid off any number of firefighters?
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Forum Member

fireguy- "laid off any number"? Im not sure what you are trying to say, but, they basically took a pay cut to keep from laying off any ff's. That says alot about being an 'outstanding dept'.

Forum Member

does the number 45 ring a bell?
    did they really have a choice about the paycut?
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Forum Member

Default Ofd

Fireguy-

AGAIN, those 45 were NEVER laid-off because every ff on the floor voted to take a pay cut to keep them. "Did they have a choice?"- Yes. Pink slips were already handed out. The union had to move fast to keep them, and they did. And common sense would tell someone that they probably wouldn't be hiring again in less than a year after laying off 45 guys.?????

I will say this, then be done with this issue. What makes an 'Outstanding Department' has nothing to do with improper management of the city or national/global economic depression. Its what goes on 'on the floor'. I have yet to find a department that has the honor, pride and respect that OFD members have for the fire service and for one another. I know, I worked there. I'm not saying there aren't any out there, I have just not scene it yet.

Also, before you speak negatively about an issue, you should have your facts straight and have first-hand knowledge on the subject. Good luck with whatever it is you do.

VM-if you have any more ?'s about the dept, let me know. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firesurf09 View Post
    Fireguy-

AGAIN, those 45 were NEVER laid-off because every ff on the floor voted to take a pay cut to keep them. "Did they have a choice?"- Yes. Pink slips were already handed out. The union had to move fast to keep them, and they did. And common sense would tell someone that they probably wouldn't be hiring again in less than a year after laying off 45 guys.?????

I will say this, then be done with this issue. What makes an 'Outstanding Department' has nothing to do with improper management of the city or national/global economic depression. Its what goes on 'on the floor'. I have yet to find a department that has the honor, pride and respect that OFD members have for the fire service and for one another. I know, I worked there. I'm not saying there aren't any out there, I have just not scene it yet.

Also, before you speak negatively about an issue, you should have your facts straight and have first-hand knowledge on the subject. Good luck with whatever it is you do.

VM-if you have any more ?'s about the dept, let me know. Good luck!
    I'm with this guy...Fireguy you haven't a clue about the department, and everything they stand for. And by the way, it was 46, not 45. Why is that relevant? because everyone in that department was behind "The 46" as they came to be known. All you saw on peoples crusty leather lids was "46", it was everywhere. Thousands showed up for the rally downtown, it made national news, in part thanks to a very strong union/BROTHERHOOD. You will be hard pressed to find a department, especially in Florida, that is as well respected and looked up on as OFD.

Forum Member

well sorry if I've never been anywhere except TX and LA.
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    can it really be outstanding if they laid off any number of firefighters?
    Are you serious? The City wanted to fire them, not the department. OFD is a GREAT department

Forum Member

Thanks, firesurf09
    That was exactly what I was asking about.

Forum Member

Wow, there is way too much drama going on in all areas of this forum right now, can't everyone just be happy the department is testing and move on from it? The issues in the past have been handled. This is more than a great department to work for, the pride and tradition is through the roof. Good luck to all who apply and good luck in testing.

Thread Information