Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Federal guys working in CA

Hey guys..just had a question or two about those working for the federal govt. out in CA (NAVY, AF,). I am currently working as a fire dispatcher for the AF and was wondering if what the bases out in CA, especially the San Diego area, had for opportunities. Basically, do the FF's rotate doing dispatching or do you hire dispatchers separately? Also, are most of the dispatchers EMD certified or not? Just pondering some options for the future, I like Massachusetts but I also think working for the govt. gives people opportunities to travel and work in different places and I am considering taking advantage of that. I really enjoy that area and think I could handle the cost of living just fine because MA is similar in that respect. Thanks!

Forum Member

Have you been to SD??

Very crowded

Forum Member

been to SD several times when I lived in AZ after college..really enjoyed all my trips there....also have friends that live in Hermosa Beach and I also enjoyed my stay in that area as well. I like the climate out there, I am not much of a winter person so I think I would really have a blast even if it was only a few yrs. I am 30 now but I have no kids or anything so it seems like something that would work well for me.

Forum Member

NAS San Diego might, I can check for you. March ARB is about 2 hrs north of SD.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Dispatchers...

I professionally know that Fort Irwin has their own Dispatchers. As far as EMD goes, we are told they are. The work schedule might work-out for you; if memory serves my correct it is (4) 12 hour shifts on and (3) days off, then (3) 12's and (4) off or something like that. Dispatchers that wish to can stay and sleep in the Stations, as long as the Station Captains know they are there. My understanding is that the pay is pretty good, he benefits are good and it is a Union Represented position.

I think we may not have any positions available right now (we just hired a group from LAFD), but fill-out an app. if it sounds good to you.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Fire49 I primarily use USAJOBS plus once I have my year in this coming May I can look at the Internal openings that are exclusive to people in the govt. only. I know that there is not much for openings as of right now, I was just trying to get an idea of the operations for some of the bases. For instance, I was not sure if the bases around San Diego hired federal people or if the dispatching went through the city workers and got routed to the base fire depts. The last thing I want to do is leave federal service. I just want to get more knowledge of that area. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool SD Fire

I do not believe that San Diego is going to hire personnel and then "divy" them out to the local Military Bases. City and Feds are very separated here (California). Use USAJOBS and the other link posted here to work in that area. As far as SD Fire goes, with the recent budget issues I would be surprised if they do much hiring right now... They are like many of the cities and having to brown-out Houses, cut back on O.T. and cut back wherever they can.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

just curious mikey, where do you work? Basically what I am trying to figure out is where there are bases who hire dispatchers, even if there is a freeze for now or nobody has openings I want to have information and be prepared if something pops up and I apply for it.

Forum Member

Wow I just looked it up on http://militarybases.com/california/....i didnt realize there was that much military out there....well i'll just have to keep my eyes open and be patient, stuff will open up sooner or later

Forum Member

Yep calif is target rich area, especially around SD

Forum Member

In the SoCal area there are a ton of FedFire departments/ fire stations. Navy Region South West Fire and Emergency Services and various other federal depts cover a huge expanse of southern California and Nevada. Last I heard, NRSW FedFire covers somewhere around 17-20 or so installations. Just some that I can think of are FedFire San Diego (Metro) which covers the navy installations and support units down there, Miramar, Camp Pendleton, El Centro, Ventura County (Seal Beach, Port Hueneme, San Clemente Island), Barstow, China Lake, Lemoore, and Bridgeport just to name a few (These are just some of the Navy and Marine Corps bases that I can think of.

There is also March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, Edwards Air Force Base, Palmdale, Vandenburg AFB for the Air Force and Ft. Irwin which is Army.

As far as opportunity to get hired, its kinda slow going right now. Just stay on top of checking usajobs and charts.donhr EVERYDAY.

Good luck brother and PM me if you have any other questions.

Forum Member

saw this looking for something else

excuse the cut and paste::::

http://www.navy-jobs.us/job/ftr/1012...gn=SimplyHired

Forum Member

No one mentioned IFSAC ?????? It is a requirement! Most Federal Fire Departments that have Dispatchers are IFSAC Dispatcher Certified. This would help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg89 View Post
    No one mentioned IFSAC ?????? It is a requirement! Most Federal Fire Departments that have Dispatchers are IFSAC Dispatcher Certified. This would help.
    I suppose that was a given since he is already working as an AF fire dispatcher but that is a good point.

Forum Member

My BAD, I overlooked that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    I suppose that was a given since he is already working as an AF fire dispatcher but that is a good point.
    To be honest, I am not even sure if I am IFSAC certified....The only requirements needed for my position was DOD HAZMAT AWARENESS AND DOD TELECOMMUNICATOR I/II. Other than that, I have a Bachelor's degree but we do not do EMD here because we have a contract with an ambulance and they handle those aspects of 911 calls

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondude View Post
    To be honest, I am not even sure if I am IFSAC certified....The only requirements needed for my position was DOD HAZMAT AWARENESS AND DOD TELECOMMUNICATOR I/II. Other than that, I have a Bachelor's degree but we do not do EMD here because we have a contract with an ambulance and they handle those aspects of 911 calls
    The DoD uses IFSAC accredited certifications.

Go to dodffcert.com and check.

Forum Member

bump..I noticed they have an opening(s) for Public Safety dispatch at Miramar MCAS...anybody that can shed some light about that area..heavy call volume/size of the workforce/etc...I already know it would be a great area to live just seeing if anybody knew some operational stuff.

Forum Member

Cost alot to live there

Crowded

Heavy car traffic

They may only cover the base, with alot of brush area

Navy likes you to set near the runway while flight ops are going on, unless they changed that policy

Here is their website , maybe email someone

http://www.localf33.org/index.cfm

Thread Information