Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default WHere to find parts for a '54 LaFrance.

My old department has a '54 American LaFrance 700 series open cab engine. They are looking at restoring it, but they don't really know where to find parts for it. They have searched all over the internet and so have I. Anyone know where to find parts for apparatus like this? One of the parts needing to be replaced is the original front flasher lights that were below the headlights. One got broken and they could never find the originals so they put some modern round truck lights like you see on a semi trailer in for temporary replacement. The original flashers were cone shaped and stuck out about 1 1/2" to 2" in the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

THis is what the one at Dalton looks like, the lights I am refering to are the red lights just under the head lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

if you still have 1 you could look up some plastics companies to see if they can use it and make a mold to make another for you.. one you could try is norvaplasics.com they are in norfolk va

Forum Member

The originals were thick glass though, like the old green insulators on the telegraph lines. I think they would want to go with original equipment, if they can find it. They had one, but as things usually go, it got set on the proverbial back burner and was lost. Probably thrown in the garbage during station clean-up one friday.

We have a '56 that looks close to it, and has glass lenses that are somewhat pointy/extended.

Let me check and see who owns it, and I'll get back to you. If I remember right, it is owned by a private identity. It is parked outside of one of our stations, and I don't think he has any ambitions on restoring it. I'll see if I can swing by and take a couple pics of it tomorrow/today.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    We have a '56 that looks close to it, and has glass lenses that are somewhat pointy/extended.

Let me check and see who owns it, and I'll get back to you. If I remember right, it is owned by a private identity. It is parked outside of one of our stations, and I don't think he has any ambitions on restoring it. I'll see if I can swing by and take a couple pics of it tomorrow/today.

FM1
    Thaks brother.

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    My old department has a '54 American LaFrance 700 series open cab engine. They are looking at restoring it, but they don't really know where to find parts for it. They have searched all over the internet and so have I.
    First thing is first. If you guys are serious about restoring your piece, the first thing you need to do is to join SPAAMFAA (The Society for the Preservation And Appreciation of Motorized Fire Apparatus in America.) They are comprised of antique apparatus owners from all over the US (and even some foreign countries, too) who have gone through, or are currently doing what you guys want to do. Their list of resources is second to none. Anyone who is a SPAAMFAA member contributes regularly to the list of vendors- things like tires, windshields, other hard to find stuff. Anyone in your department may join as an individual or you can join as an organization.

There are also other great parts resources for the harder to find stuff. Hemmings Motor News is a good one. You can subscribe to it, or you can find it at some better book stores like Barnes and Noble, or anywhere with a good news stand that has all kinds of magazines.

"Double Clutch" is the bi monthly magazine published by the Antique Truck Historical Society. There are many ads throghout the magazine from various vendors advertising parts and services like component rebuilding, etc.

I know there is an Amercian LaFrance users group in YAHOO GROUPS. Check for it and join up.

One thing to remember, many firetruck MFR's back then tried to use components that would be easy to find or repair, as a repair center for their particular brand of apparatus may not have been located nearby. Things like clutches, brakes, axles, wheel cylinders, master cylinders, etc were usually by another manufacturer like Lipe-Brown, Bendix, Rockwell, Ford/GM, Etc. My antique for example (a 1958 F.W.D. pumper) uses a 1957 Ford Master Cylinder for the clutch slave cylinder. All I had to do was plop it down on the local NAPA parts desk (with an OLD GUY who knows how to use the BOOKS as opposed to some young kid who gets lost when he cant use the computer) and 10 minutes later he ordered me a rebuild kit from Bendix, complete with a stainless steel sleeve with a lifetime warranty.

What kind of a restoration will you guys be doing? What engine/clutch/transmission do you have and will you be rebuilding/restoring any of that? If the engine and tranny are ok, you should at least give the clutch a check. There are many shops out there that can rebuild the clutch for you, even if the Mfr is no longer in business.

Hope all of this helps. PM me if you have any questions.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    First thing is first. If you guys are serious about restoring your piece, the first thing you need to do is to join SPAAMFAA (The Society for the Preservation And Appreciation of Motorized Fire Apparatus in America.) They are comprised of antique apparatus owners from all over the US (and even some foreign countries, too) who have gone through, or are currently doing what you guys want to do. Their list of resources is second to none. Anyone who is a SPAAMFAA member contributes regularly to the list of vendors- things like tires, windshields, other hard to find stuff. Anyone in your department may join as an individual or you can join as an organization.

There are also other great parts resources for the harder to find stuff. Hemmings Motor News is a good one. You can subscribe to it, or you can find it at some better book stores like Barnes and Noble, or anywhere with a good news stand that has all kinds of magazines.

"Double Clutch" is the bi monthly magazine published by the Antique Truck Historical Society. There are many ads throghout the magazine from various vendors advertising parts and services like component rebuilding, etc.

I know there is an Amercian LaFrance users group in YAHOO GROUPS. Check for it and join up.

One thing to remember, many firetruck MFR's back then tried to use components that would be easy to find or repair, as a repair center for their particular brand of apparatus may not have been located nearby. Things like clutches, brakes, axles, wheel cylinders, master cylinders, etc were usually by another manufacturer like Lipe-Brown, Bendix, Rockwell, Ford/GM, Etc. My antique for example (a 1958 F.W.D. pumper) uses a 1957 Ford Master Cylinder for the clutch slave cylinder. All I had to do was plop it down on the local NAPA parts desk (with an OLD GUY who knows how to use the BOOKS as opposed to some young kid who gets lost when he cant use the computer) and 10 minutes later he ordered me a rebuild kit from Bendix, complete with a stainless steel sleeve with a lifetime warranty.

What kind of a restoration will you guys be doing? What engine/clutch/transmission do you have and will you be rebuilding/restoring any of that? If the engine and tranny are ok, you should at least give the clutch a check. There are many shops out there that can rebuild the clutch for you, even if the Mfr is no longer in business.

Hope all of this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

Thak you sir, I will have to pass this on to my buddy. It's been a while since I was there last, I'm not sure just yet what all they've done on it yet. I know thy were having a hard time finding those lights though. But, like I said, I will definitely pass this on to him, I'm very sure he'll be appreciative for the help. Also, I would love to see pics of your rig, I heard about it, what thread were the pics you posted before in?

Thread Information