Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dayton, Ohio Fire Exam

Forum Member

Not sure on the number at this point, the recruitment website also shows it as unknown. Over the past few shifts word on the street says we took just over 4,300 applications for the job.

Forum Member

nice! good turnout for exam so you guys can hopefully take the most qualified. Hopefully it wont be like the NY processes...I am def making the trip over there. Any suggestions on where to stay? some place close to testing site

Forum Member

the crown plaza hotel is connected to the convention center downtown where the testing is done.

Forum Member

Has anyone even received any type of itinerary for the testing process?

Forum Member

Does Dayton rotate on ambulances? I searched around their site but didn't find anything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nairB View Post
    the crown plaza hotel is connected to the convention center downtown where the testing is done.
    Nice thanks for the info that's pretty convenient place to stay and nobody has received any itinerary of the testing process yet. I would check out their site or wait a few weeks when we get our study guides i am sure the testing process is in there.

Forum Member

Yes you rotate usually you ride one or two times during a month but depends on the station

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by waldoguy704 View Post
    Yes you rotate usually you ride one or two times during a month but depends on the station
    Ride the ambulance one or two times a month? Thats not too bad if you gotta rotate. I have friends in FLA that won't see an engine for a week and a half, not that you do much different down there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    Has anyone even received any type of itinerary for the testing process?
    The rough timeline is right on the hiring website....

http://www.cityofdayton.org/departme...edmessage.aspx

MembersZone Subscriber

As anyone received the study manual for the exam? Is it the 10th edition?

Thanks

Forum Member

The test is being postponed until further notice. Called the recruiting office the past week and was given this info from a fire dept officer. Hope this helps. He said they will have a test but it will be later than April 2, due to the stuff going on with the police exam and the dept of justice???

Forum Member

Ahh that sucks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by airforcefiredawg View Post
    The test is being postponed until further notice. Called the recruiting office the past week and was given this info from a fire dept officer. Hope this helps. He said they will have a test but it will be later than April 2, due to the stuff going on with the police exam and the dept of justice???
    great! America is def not the land of opportunity anymore..good thing i have a teaching job already

Forum Member

Thats just awesome, you'd think they'd post stuff on their site. Or just keep the four thousand some applicants in the dark. I feel bad for the people that have booked plane tickets, car rentals, and hotels.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    Thats just awesome, you'd think they'd post stuff on their site. Or just keep the four thousand some applicants in the dark. I feel bad for the people that have booked plane tickets, car rentals, and hotels.
    agreed!!! good thing i didnt make plans yet and i always do things last minute lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    Yea I'm definitely happy I was just gonna rent a car last minute and drive there.

Forum Member

Driving down from Columbus. I'm taking the Dallas, Tx test also, praying they don't delay that one, already got plane ticket, hotel, and rental car

MembersZone Subscriber

Just called the Dayton Civil Service. The exam has been postponed with no set date to give it again. They stated that letters will be going out shortly.

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles by Chief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con.../bio.jsp?id=17

www.fireprep.com

Forum Member

Forum Member

i cant take this racial crap!! its called going to barnes and nobles and studying like a normal dedicated person would....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tghockey11 View Post
    i cant take this racial crap!! its called going to barnes and nobles and studying like a normal dedicated person would....
    LOL for real. The test will be given eventually, what can we do? This is nothing new for those who have been testing for a while.

Forum Member

a new test and grade on a curve...i hope their happy...we can dumb it down for them yet again. go buy a book and study. this is discrimination against the people who have put in the time to study and improve their scores to have a LEGITIMATE chance at a job. Absolutely absured that we must cater to those who want something handed to them.

Forum Member

Luckily this forum has only been dead for a year! The City sent out notifications today of the testing process being resumed for those who applied in late 2010. The last week in February the department had a majority of its members down to sample and certify the new exam (or some version of it) to prevent any conflicts from the DOJ.

The new test date is set for June 16th, 2012 and as part of continuing in the process, all interested applicants need to complete and return a form to the city, stating you are still interested in the position.

Haven't heard an official time-line once the test is finished, but I know a lot of the higher up's are hoping for a recruit class to hit the TC by Jan of 2013, planning for a 20-26 week class.

Forum Member

Any idea on where the testing location will be? Or if they will be sending out a study guide for the exam?

Forum Member

Testing site is still TBD, partially why I think they sent out the interest forms. If I had to put money on it, the Dayton Convention Center would be my guess. Based on the original application period the department is expecting 4,000+ to test.

As far as a study guide nothing has been announced, not to say something won't come out. I'd prepare for a half psycological, half true "civil service" exam.

Thread Information