Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dayton, Ohio Fire Exam

Forum Member

What does a true "civil service" exam encompass? I have taken numerous tests that are "civil service" but each seems to have distinct differences.

Forum Member

I can't provide you with specifics, however, what I meant with that statement was reading/writing/math/mechanical aptitude/etc. The typical sections you would expect for an exam.

I know each test has its own unique style, and with this being the DFD's first experience with our new test writer....no one knows what to expect.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info! Time to start preparing.

Forum Member

Is it too late to apply?

Forum Member

Yes. The application was over a year ago

Forum Member

They have the exam yet? How was it?

Edit: Sorry I didn't see the other thread someone had started. Good luck folks, I wanted to take it but the Navy has other plans.
    Last edited by Desire4theJob; 05-22-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Forum Member

Official exam announcements were sent out late last week. Looks like the exam is June 16th at 0830.

Word around the companies is consistent that a recruit class is expected in early 2013 and will last approximately 6 months. Haven't heard any speculation on how many will be hired but I wouldn't count on more than 40 or so for the life of the list.

Forum Member

Anybody have any details about Dayton's PAT?

Forum Member

Rumor has it they have been looking in to using the CPAT but nothing has been confirmed. In the past, we have utilized our own physical agility however with the involvement of the Department of Justice in this process I don't see it being sufficient.

Forum Member

An old job information packet I found says that there is a test preparation manual mailed out before the test. Well, we're 13 days out and I haven't gotten anything. Are they doing away with this?

Forum Member

They have done away with this. The information you have is based off of the previous test which was thrown out following the results that came from the PD hiring process. The new test is completely different and does not have study material.

Forum Member

Just curious if this thread is still going through and if anyone has any information about the results, CPAT, interview process, etc? Does anyone know the exact amount of those that will be hired? How about working for the City of Dayton? They City hasn't updated its website. If there are any firefighters from the City, please let us know! Thank you!

Forum Member

Results will be announced 30-60 days from the test as Chief said in his opening statements at the exam. Nothing official has been announced in regards to the rest of the process as they have to wait for the Department of Justice to certify the exam.

Information floating around the engine houses was that 40-50 would be hired off of the list in the time that it is active, which history shows could be a number of years.

As with any city, Dayton has its share of problems. However, I can tell you that the crews are a tight knit bunch and the DFD holds a lot of tradition. Recruit school and probation aren't like being hired at podunk township, you will have daily written and practical tests, plenty of PT and be held to high expectations. While on probation you will again receive daily written tests, while remaining occupied with assigned duties around the engine house. All in all, it's a great department to make a career with and has plenty to offer if you take the time and effort to pursue it.
    buck19751 likes this.

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything yet? I called Civil Service 3 weeks ago and they mentioned that they were waiting on information from the department of justice. Let me know. Thank you!!

Forum Member

My step-dad talked to somebody in Dayton's HR and he said he was told that they would have 2 classes of 22, however 7 in each class have to be black.

Take this as the third hand information that it is

Forum Member

Test results are still in the hands of the fine DOJ, they now have to decide if the numbers suit their needs.

I don't think there will be a set number of "black" people to be hired...since Dayton hires 1 for 1 off of the list. Like you said be careful with second hand info....

Forum Member

has anyone heard anything? I tried calling HR but couldn't get any answers
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonsoffun1101 View Post
    has anyone heard anything? I tried calling HR but couldn't get any answers
    I called civil service yesterday 8/29/12 about the test scores. They are still waiting the results for the test from the Department of Justice. They said that they are ready to hand out the result right away when they get them in. The woman on the phone mentioned that they understand how everyone is anticipating their results.

Forum Member

So results were emailed out yesterday. Does anyone know what the expected timeframe is to continue in the process? Also is the city now using the CPAT as the physical agility? Good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything? I got an email saying I passed and my rank a while back but have heard nothing since. Thanks.

Forum Member

Alright heres the info. They are doing background interviews with the top so many people. I was interviewed at 150th. Then they are going to re-rank everyone after people are eliminated. The top 50 will get a physical agility. Those that pass that will be interviewed. 20 of them will be hired and start the academy in April and finish in October. A second class will be hired in October or November. This is what I was told during my interview a few weeks ago. Thats all the info I have.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP37 View Post
    Alright heres the info. They are doing background interviews with the top so many people. I was interviewed at 150th. Then they are going to re-rank everyone after people are eliminated. The top 50 will get a physical agility. Those that pass that will be interviewed. 20 of them will be hired and start the academy in April and finish in October. A second class will be hired in October or November. This is what I was told during my interview a few weeks ago. Thats all the info I have.
    Thanks for the info. So you don think anyone past 150 will get a shot at all it sounds like? That stinks!

Forum Member

Well I can't say that. I don't know how many they are going to interview. Plus the list is good for 2 years I'm assuming. You never know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BearDown104 View Post
    Thanks for the info. So you don think anyone past 150 will get a shot at all it sounds like? That stinks!
    When I was interviewed back in early October they told me only the top 100 were getting called. Since then, I heard that they were having a hard time getting enough qualified candidates to pass the background which is why they are going deeper into the list. Anyone in the top 200 seems to have a chance at this point.

Does anyone know when we will find out about our new rank? I was told the CPAT would be held in December. Thanks fellas!

Forum Member

i received my rank e-mail then was notified that we would receive our letters for cpat orientation, i got mine and scheduled my orientation i dont know if we have to do the 8 week course that Miami valley fire/ems alliance has or since were using it for a testing facility it will just be orientation and two practice then the actual test. this whole hiring has been soooooo long and foggy.
    i also agree with "104Fire" that when interviewed in October i also heard 100 people.

Thread Information