Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dayton, Ohio Fire Exam

Forum Member

Default Dayton, Ohio Fire Exam

Is anyone here going to apply for the Dayton, Ohio Firefighter recruit position? If so, does anyone have any information not found on their recruitment website, such as how many they will be hiring, how in-depth their process is, what it's like in their department, etc.?

Thanks, good luck to all and stay safe!

Forum Member

I work for Dayton, we have 12 stations, 36,000 ems runs a year, almost everyone is all ALS. 800 working fires a year. The academy is going to run for 27 weeks. Not sure on how many there going to hire, we have alot of older staff retiring. You take the civil service test,then background check like 15 page packet. interview then the academy. Then after you 6 month probation after rookie school you have 36 months to become a paramedic, if you dont get it in that time your fired. But if your already als then that doesnt apply.

Forum Member

Castledude any word if there trying to hire or just setting up a list?? do you like working for the dept??
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, Dayton will definitely be hiring. There will likely be multiple classes run over the next few years of around 20 recruits each. Info at www.joindaytonfire.com. DFD is a busy department with a large amount of fire duty. We haven't hired any firefighters for about 3 years, and this will be a good list to be on due to many pending retirements of senior members. Good luck to all that take the exam.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Castledude222 View Post
    almost everyone is all ALS
    Just curious...

The job postings previously listed open positions for Paramedics. Are the ambulances staffed with firefighters or civilians?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF863 View Post
    Is anyone here going to apply for the Dayton, Ohio Firefighter recruit position? If so, does anyone have any information not found on their recruitment website, such as how many they will be hiring, how in-depth their process is, what it's like in their department, etc.?

Thanks, good luck to all and stay safe!
    I applied to take it..Gonna be a long trip from NY though but hopefully worth it in the end. If not i tried

Forum Member

The city of Dayton was in a hiring freeze over a lawsuit. There staffing went way down so in august they hired 20 part time EMT's to staff the ambulances. My guess is they're trying to hire them as fulltime firefighters because anybody that currently works for the city of dayton gets Extra credit on the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    The city of Dayton was in a hiring freeze over a lawsuit. There staffing went way down so in august they hired 20 part time EMT's to staff the ambulances. My guess is they're trying to hire them as fulltime firefighters because anybody that currently works for the city of dayton gets Extra credit on the test.
    Ah. I remember seeing those guys doing training/classroom at the training center while I was there for a couple months. Thanks for the heads up.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I went to download my application the HR page indicated they were accepting Paramedic applications until 12/31...wasn't sure what that was about. Thanks for the explanation.

Forum Member

Yeah they could only hire part time during there hiring freeze. so they hired a bunch of part timers that they'll probably turn into full time after this test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rdoggvf722 View Post
    Yeah they could only hire part time during there hiring freeze. so they hired a bunch of part timers that they'll probably turn into full time after this test.
    well actually no they are full time, just a diff job class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rdoggvf722 View Post
    What kind of numbers are we talking? If what you say is true, will they just hire those medics/EMT's and use this firefighter list to fill in demographic gaps?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    What kind of numbers are we talking? If what you say is true, will they just hire those medics/EMT's and use this firefighter list to fill in demographic gaps?

they will test just the same as anyone else just get the extra points for being a city employee. they will have the same chance as anyone else. As far as numbers not sure that all depends on staffing and how many retire of course.

Forum Member

They have the same chance plus 5 extra credit points over everyone else, and a resume that includes working with the city of dayton in and around there firehouses. When it comes down to it they know how things operate in dayton, therefore they will be easier to train and will already have a leg up on everyone else. If its between one of there EMT's or somebody else they're going to choose someone that's already employed with the city. So yes they have a better chance than anyone else.

Forum Member

I didn't see if they give Veterans preferance. Any imput??

Forum Member

ya they do

Forum Member

thanks bud

Forum Member

They have the same chance plus 5 extra credit points over everyone else, and a resume that includes working with the city of dayton in and around there firehouses. When it comes down to it they know how things operate in dayton, therefore they will be easier to train and will already have a leg up on everyone else. If its between one of there EMT's or somebody else they're going to choose someone that's already employed with the city. So yes they have a better chance than anyone else.
    yea your right dont test then

Forum Member

The city hires 1 for 1, if you score the exact same as they do, and if you applied first, you get hired, regardless. They are full time and union, THEY ARE COUNTED IN OUR RANKS, if they get hired and become firefighters, they are still down whatever amount of people. Civilan based ems was a band-aid while under a lawsuit, they will be going back to fire-based ems, saying so if they get transferred over positions will still need to be filled. It will be a good list to be on, they exhausted their last list and retirements are expected to top 60 over the next 2 years.

Forum Member

Interesting, If they're going back to fire based EMS I wonder what they'll do with the EMT's that don't get hired off this list to become FF's. Anyways good information. Thank you. Does Dayton run 3 or 4 man companies?

Forum Member

Interesting, If they're going back to fire based EMS I wonder what they'll do with the EMT's that don't get hired off this list to become FF's. Anyways good information. Thank you. Does Dayton run 3 or 4 man companies?
    they will remain emt's. And run 4 on trucks/eng and 2 on the medic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Avoid the Rumor Mill & Get Accurate Info

Forums are a great place to discuss general information. Unfortunately, it is very much like the firehouse rumor mill. What you hear may have some truth to it, but for the most part it is wrong. As the saying goes “Why let the truth get in the way of a good rumor”. I would highly suggest that if you have a question regarding the hiring process, requirements or anything else as it regards to the Dayton Fire Department and how you can become a Dayton Firefighter, go to the source. The Dayton Fire Department staffs a recruitment office with personnel who can answer your questions truthfully and accurately. You can reach them by calling (937)333-3141 or send them an email at DFD-Recruiting@DaytonOhio.gov. Avoid the rumors and bad information and contact these guys if you are serious about becoming a firefighter.

Forum Member

Did anyone apply via greaterdaytonworks.com? I went through that, and I don't know how it all worked, and then was directed to cityofdayton.org and applied there. Well the greaterdaytonwork keeps emailing me saying I need to apply with cityofdayton.org. I can log in and verify that I have applied. Anyone else having this issues?

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont worry about what it says on greaterdaytonworks, it only matters what it says at the City of Dayton Civil Service website https://jobs.cityofdayton.org. Once you login, you can check to see what jobs you have applied for. If Firefighter Recruit is not listed, then you need to reapply. Keep in mind you only have this afternoon to apply. They close the application process at 16:30 hours.

Forum Member

any update on how many they are looking to hire? I am making a 10 or so hour trip for this they dont process out of state people any different correct?

Thread Information