Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Vehicle on it's side with foot well entrapment on the lower side.

Hi guys. I was wondering how you would deal with a vehicle on it's side (we'll say driver side) where the drives legs are pinned in the foot well? Normally we would do a dash roll or lift, but the dash lift especially doesn't seem doable when the side of the vehicle is on the ground, any ideas?

Forum Member

HI Golzy12

A nice situation.

A dash lift would still be possible, if carried out from inline instead of the side of the vehicle, have the spreaders in-line with the sill, maybe not as effective as the normal but it will work.

You could also still do the dash roll although space will be limited.

Both techniques will be dependent on the drivers location in relation to the lower side of the vehicle. This area will be very cramped for access and room to work. This will also be related to the make and model of vehicle.

Dash relocation could be carried out from the centre area in-line with the transmission housing.

If due to the variables of the casualty location and access issues, a controlled roll back of the vehicle may work as a last resort.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Have you been listening to Fire Engineering?????

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    Have you been listening to Fire Engineering?????
    No, did they they address this situation?

MembersZone Subscriber

This may be one of those times where you may consider doing a steering wheel pull as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    No, did they they address this situation?
    I got an email today and one of the topics was having entrapment involving the footwell...I didn't watch the whole video clip though - it was time to head HOME!

MembersZone Subscriber

The attachment points that connect the underdash cross support to the center console or transmission hump would need to be cut. This along with a pocket cut at the base of the corresponding A pillar should permit a moderate lift at the center of the dash either utilizing spreaders or a small ram. Confined space cutters could be utilized to remove the pedals if necessary for further room.

I found some more information on the subject, Ron Moore recommends pulling the steering column to gain more space (http://www.firehouse.com/magazine/un...umn-evolutions)
    Another problem that would prevent a dash lift or dash roll is the fact that you cant access the base of the A post because the driver side door will still be in the way.

ejfeicht- Do you have anymore information on accessing and cutting those attachment points?

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a photo of the dash crossbar assembly in a vehicle with the dash components removed. You can see the support bars which attach from the crossbar to the floor of the vehicle. Removing the side panels of the center console will allow access for cutting these braces.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Another option may be to support the victim and cut the seat out, pull the steering wheel and remove the victim through the back window. If I'm understanding your scenario correct this will also work. To make more space cut the roof with an Air Chisel or take the posts.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Another problem that would prevent a dash lift or dash roll is the fact that you cant access the base of the A post because the driver side door will still be in the way.
    I must not be reading this correct... So then push it from the middle of the dash, a dash push does not always have to be done at the edge of the car. I've pushed them from the middle also..... Pull the steering wheel with your Spreaders and keep closing the tools, I have seen it when this has worked well to free feet that are stuck. Or simply lower the victim straight down like I described in my last post.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by prnancoz View Post
    This may be one of those times where you may consider doing a steering wheel pull as a last resort.
    I found this picture from a past training class.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information