Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Brining ideas to the table:

What are three training ideas you have that can improve your departments skill level, fireground tactics and/or safety standards,

Forum Member

Pre plan buildings and learn about any fire protection systems/ hazards in them

Forum Member

Dont listen to the so called educator you have down there unless you like being a lawn muppet.

Forum Member

i never claimed to be an educator.
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dashman View Post

Dont listen to the so called educator you have down there unless you like being a lawn muppet.
    I have a few fans on these forums. They love me.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    What are three training ideas you have that can improve your departments skill level, fireground tactics and/or safety standards,
    Get rid of LaFireEducator for starters.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Again, different department.

Bossier Parish has 7 rural departments (3 work together, almost like one) and the city.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Again, different department.

Bossier Parish has 7 rural departments (3 work together, almost like one) and the city.
    Hopefully they receive training from someone other than you.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sure enough. I wonder what the new guy would think of his fellow Bossier Parish FF if he could read some of his infamous post. One of the best is the one where LA stated that he would allow a child to burn up in the car fire. I wish I could locate it.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Hopefully they receive training from someone other than you.
    They all train themselves.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Sure enough. I wonder what the new guy would think of his fellow Bossier Parish FF if he could read some of his infamous post. One of the best is the one where LA stated that he would allow a child to burn up in the car fire. I wish I could locate it.
    found the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    we will run into situations that are simply too dangerous for us to attempt a rescue, and the best course of action for us is to allow the victim to die.
    Here is the link:he listed it underneath number one. (To settle things once and for all.)
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Forum Member

Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    we will run into situations that are simply too dangerous for us to attempt a rescue, and the best course of action for us is to allow the victim to die.

And Bull, your point is?

We've discussed this before. If there is a reasonable possibly of success and the responding personnel are equipped, trained and experienced at the rescue, attempt it if conditions allow.

If the victims chances of being rescued are extremly low, or the responding department does not have the equipment, training and experience to be able to make the rescue without a high probability of firefighter death or significant injury, yes, the risk v. benefit model does tell the responding department that this should be a "no go" operation and no attempt should be made to rescue the victim. We are not in the business of sacrificing ourselves. We are in the business of taking calculated risks as long as we have a viable victim and the resources, including training and experience to attempt a rescue. And we are in the business of returning uninjured from a run. Always.

Yes, there are times when it is far better to allow the victim to die rather than suffer a firefighter, or multiple firefighter, injurie(s) or death(s) in a situation that has progressed beyond the department's or the individual firefighter's (if off-duty) resources and capabilities either due to response time or situation.

That's simply the cold, hard facts of firefighter safety and risk v. benefit analysis. We come first, and our operational decisions need to reflect that. Always.

We can't save everyone. And there are situations where we shouldn't make an effort. We need to know our limits and need to know when to say know, both as individuals and as departments.

Limits will vary based on leadership, funding, response times, manpower, apparatus, water supply, general firefighter and specialized training, specialized tools and equipment, mutual aid capabilities and experience. Some of that a department can control. Most of that a department has absolutely no control over.

Civilians die in fires and rescue situations. Always have. Always will. In many cases, we cannot change that. Often they are dead or not viable upon our arrival. And throwing firefighters into a situation that has either progressed beyond the department's abilities or the department is untrained or unequipped causing a high likelihood of injury and/or death to ourselves will not change that. It will simply kill and injure firefighters without changing the outcome.

I have never said anything less in talking with any firefighter. It's my belief that we have a right to come home. Every time. And no obligation to the public overrides that basic right.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-10-2010 at 04:09 AM.

So, did anyone brin any ideas?
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    So, did anyone brin any ideas?
    Hey, we tried.

Forum Member

get rid of LaFire?
    LOL j/k.
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Forum Member

If you really want to improve your department, and have less than 3 years on, concentrate on the task aspect of your job. Nothing wrong with having a basic understanding of the tactical and strategic aspects , but your job is mastering the tasks. Let the officers make the tactical decisions, dont put the cart before the horse - you time will come.

Forum Member

Default Lotsa ROPE!!!

Just an idea for training/pre-planning, use rope instead of hose during training. Rope is alot easier to collect, than the hose and you are able to reset the scenario quicker. What is the biggest resistance to training? Reloading the hose. Its heavy and hot work.
    An example would be combining preplanning and training at a school. The apparatus arrives and positions as if on an emergency call. Instead of pulling hose you pull the rope off that is the same length as the hose you have pre-connected and advance into the structure. The rope of course will be attached in some shape, form, or manner.

You have completed a number of tasks:
    1) Evaluation of engine placement.
    2) How far into the structure can we advance?
    3) Do we need to adjust our hose load for better penetration into the structure?
    4) Do we need to enter through another door?

By tying knots into the rope every 50ft. you now have an idea where connections are and a distance from the truck.

This idea of training can be taken a step further by incorporating wood blocks shaped and painted similairly to adapters and fittings on the truck. A ring for female connection and a snap link for the male. This would allow the firefighter to have an idea of what is needed and when to use it on the fire ground.

Also to throw a sports theme into training would be to have a play book. By keeping the plan simple and calling the play, firefighters arriving on scene will have an understanding of how to position equipment and what hose to run. This of course will have "Options" to adjust for the situation.

An example would be, "We are going to run Johnson House play with Smithville providing relay." This will communicate the basic info of 1st due will be attack engine and 2nd due will act as supply engine after completing a reverse lay down the driveway to the road, with our tanker doing relay with the Smithville tanker. Everyone that hears this over the radio understands and knows how to set up at the scene.
    Jeffrey

"Plan for the worst, hope for the best!"

Thread Information