Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We looked at these "tools" two weeks ago, due to the fact that we were lucky enough to receive a AFG grant. They were nice, but seemed to me, to open and close slower than the old standard. I can see where there is a place the battery tools if you had to go to a remote area, where a portable pump and lines would complicate matters, but if you have access to your truck and mainly run up and down the Hwy, why not just stay with the older proven tech.
    Our major concern with the battery operated tools was the overall cost of the batteries and their availability 10 years from now. After looking at the tools we have chosen to stay with what we now works 99.9 % of the time.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Just looked at them with rep. We have a nearly new high pressure Hurst set and they do appear to be slightly slower compared to that.
    I asked the same questions you are about batteries, I felt that I never really got an answer.
    It was fun to play with, neato tool in the parking lot, we are sticking with what we know works every time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Using WHO's tool as a criteria? There is NO WAY a battery powered tool is going to have MORE power that a gas or Pto powered hyd tool. At $7800 that would put them on par with a conventional hydraulic tool. We've had ZERO luck with battery powered tools,part of this is due to the way the batteries are used. We've also had ZERO problems with our generators and they run well over an hour on a tank of fuel.No battery change required. T.C.
    Although I'm not a big fan of having more batteries on my truck...I've used the Hurst edraulics tools at a class. Their big cutter is heavy but it does work as advertised. We did one full car (4 doors and roof with one battery) When I asked the dealer for specs...they didn't offer the cutting force, but they did have the NFPA rating A8/B9/C8/D9/E9. This is comprable to the Genesis C236 Cutter which advertises 236,000 lbs of cutting force & the TNT BFC-320 which advertises 320,000 lbs of cutting force.

Quote Originally Posted by GFD615 View Post
    Although I'm not a big fan of having more batteries on my truck...I've used the Hurst edraulics tools at a class. Their big cutter is heavy but it does work as advertised. We did one full car (4 doors and roof with one battery) When I asked the dealer for specs...they didn't offer the cutting force, but they did have the NFPA rating A8/B9/C8/D9/E9. This is comprable to the Genesis C236 Cutter which advertises 236,000 lbs of cutting force & the TNT BFC-320 which advertises 320,000 lbs of cutting force.
    Couple things come to mind. Nothing untruthful about my original statement. Let's take the E-system and work it on the job at 0 F and see how long the batteries last.
    It's WELL known I'm NO fan of battery powered tools. If you like them by all means buy 'em. To date,we have not had a job we couldn't get our gas powered tools to. Nor one we couldn't get into. We WON'T have battery powered tools on OUR rigs, we have POOR luck with them. Mostly because of rotation,charging and lack of use but in ANY event,they don't work here. T.C.

Thread Information