Forum Member

Default Battery Powered Hydraulic Tools

Does anyone have experience with the newer battery operated hydraulic tools such as the Hurst ones. Looking for any pros or cons that people have noticed.

Forum Member

Try a search,expand it to like a 90 day period. We've discussed this "recently"but I'm not remembering all the details, T.C.

Forum Member

Thanks for the help Rescue101.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are a couple videos I found of the new Hurst Edraulic Tools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz6qvpxPhIQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWhQxHzE5s

Have not had the opportunity to evaluate these yet but they appear to be bulky.

These are the weights that Hurst lists for these tools:

S700E Cutter 54.8 lbs. (without power source)
    S211E Cutter 38.5 lbs. (without power source)
    SP300E Spreader 44.0 lbs (without power source)

Unable to locate the exact weight of the Bosch Battery Packs they utilize but would estimate these to be somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 additional pounds.

Forum Member

I used a set of these during an extrication class about a month ago. They are BIG, and heavy, but it was nice that there was no hose to get tangled up with. They worked much better than the connected ram we had that was coupled to a too small a pump for the tool.

I can't really tell you how long a battery would last, but they would worked fine for a rather complicated evolution.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

BCT from holmatro is awesome love the tool

Forum Member

Just used a set last weekend, More power than standard hyd tools and weigh about 5 lbs more but managable.

They open faster, no hose in the way, no pump to carry to extrication site and they take up less room in compartment and you dont need to keep gas for the pump.

We removed 10 doors, 3 roofs, 3 trunk lids and 4 b pillars at the floor on 4 batteries. Hurst is working on a cord to plug the tool in a 120 volt source.

Cars was a Saturn,Buick and chevy.

Overall they performed very well and are about $7800 each for cutter and spreader

Forum Member

110V cord comes with the tool. Each tool comes with 2 batteries and charger, plus the 110v cord. Hurst claims the batteries are good for 30 minutes of CONTINOUS use. The charger will charge a battery in 30 minutes.

Right now, they have a spreader, 2 cutters, and a ram. A combi-tool is coming soon.
    Last edited by MEAN15; 02-25-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rellik74 View Post
    Just used a set last weekend, More power than standard hyd tools and weigh about 5 lbs more but managable.

They open faster, no hose in the way, no pump to carry to extrication site and they take up less room in compartment and you dont need to keep gas for the pump.

We removed 10 doors, 3 roofs, 3 trunk lids and 4 b pillars at the floor on 4 batteries. Hurst is working on a cord to plug the tool in a 120 volt source.

Cars was a Saturn,Buick and chevy.

Overall they performed very well and are about $7800 each for cutter and spreader
    Using WHO's tool as a criteria? There is NO WAY a battery powered tool is going to have MORE power that a gas or Pto powered hyd tool. At $7800 that would put them on par with a conventional hydraulic tool. We've had ZERO luck with battery powered tools,part of this is due to the way the batteries are used. We've also had ZERO problems with our generators and they run well over an hour on a tank of fuel.No battery change required. T.C.

Forum Member

The Rescue Squad that I used to be a part of had a set of battery powered Hurst tools. Mostly they used them as a backup set to throw in the Suburban or They would use them in situations where you wouldnt want a gas motor. I only got to use them once and it was in training and I was not much for them but the powers that be wanted them
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

The new e tools from hurst have a closing power over 100000 psi as hosed units are at 60000 psi

Forum Member

Default Hurst E-tools

Where are finding the specs for the Hurst E-tools?? Their site is pretty vague and I could not find closing forces (which are a sham across the board).

You compare forces but some documentation would be helpful.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Isitjustme View Post
    Where are finding the specs for the Hurst E-tools?? Their site is pretty vague and I could not find closing forces (which are a sham across the board).

You compare forces but some documentation would be helpful.

Thanks
    the eDRAULICS tools are actualy manufactured by Lukas who is also part of the IDEX Rescue Group (HURST Jaws of Life, LUKAS, Dinglee, VETTER)

All of the specs are listed on the Lucas website http://www.lukas.com/rescue/

*(The tool weights are also without cable plug or battery)

SP 300 E Spreader
    http://www.lukas.com/rescue/Rescue+P.../SP+300+E.html

S 700 E Cutter
    http://www.lukas.com/rescue/Rescue+P...s/S+700+E.html

S 311 E Cutter
    http://www.lukas.com/rescue/Rescue+P...s/S+311+E.html

R 411 E Ram
    http://www.lukas.com/rescue/Rescue+P...s/R+411+E.html
    Last edited by ejfeicht; 02-26-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rellik74 View Post
    The new e tools from hurst have a closing power over 100000 psi as hosed units are at 60000 psi
    And my new cutter is 242,000 Closing lbs(121 TONS). See what I'm getting at? NO battery powered tool is going to match a Gas or Pto unit. Sorry,but think about it for a minute. You have a BATTERY running a SMALL electric motor running a pump. OR you have a 400 hp engine running a PTO multi unit pump or a 6 Hp gas engine doing the same thing. The pumps are BIGGER, higher flow because the bigger powerplants can support it. Same with sawsalls,check the amperage. AMPS= POWER. Batttery units are handy but they will NOT have more POWER than an engine driven unit. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-26-2011 at 04:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    And my new cutter is 242,000 Closing lbs(121 TONS). See what I'm getting at? NO battery powered tool is going to match a Gas or Pto unit. Sorry,but think about it for a minute. You have a BATTERY running a SMALL electric motor running a pump. OR you have a 400 hp engine running a PTO multi unit pump or a 6 Hp gas engine doing the same thing. The pumps are BIGGER, higher flow because the bigger powerplants can support it. Same with sawsalls,check the amperage. AMPS= POWER. Batttery units are handy but they will NOT have more POWER than an engine driven unit. T.C.
    They are not listing the actual forces for this cutter only the NFPA ratings of A8/ B9/ C8/ D9/ E9 and EN-Class BC 182 H-24.

From the Lukas Website: "To ensure that you are optimally prepared, LUKAS no longer takes part in the race for theoretical maximum force. With the S 700 E, we have instead developed a cutter in which blade opening and force application are perfectly matched to the relevant working range."

Even if they have the technology to achieve those forces in a battery operated tools they are extremely heavy tools.

The most powerful cutter they are listing is the S700E which weighs in at 54.0 pounds without a battery or cable plug. Add the weight of the Bosch battery pack and you have a over 55 pounds of cutter. This is 8 pounds more than their equivalent non-battery operated model cutter the S700.

Forum Member

I'm taking this as an indication you WILL be staying with your current tool system? Hehe T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 03-15-2011 at 09:37 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm taking this as an indication you WILL be staying wih your current tool system? Hehe T.C.
    No question there !

TNT SLC-29 Cutters at 40.0 pounds http://www.tntrescue.com/pages/products/SLC-29specs.pdf

TNT SL-32 Spreaders at 38.5 pounds http://www.tntrescue.com/pages/products/SL-32specs.pdf

Forum Member

Smile eDraulics (Speed, Power, Mobility and Versatility)

I have been using the HURST eDraulics several times a week to train Auto X all over California and Nevada since last September. I train with both the cutters, the spreader and the ram and will have the new eDraulic combi-tool shortly. The smaller 311e cutter I have has cut more than 190 cars to date and the spreader has been right along side it on almost every evolution. The speed, power , mobility and versatility combined in these hydraulic tools make an amazing paradigm shift in rescue tool technology. I have hundreds of photos of them in use and if you have more questions on these I'd be glad to share my experiences. The Lithium Ion batteries have performed far better than I expected. More to follow....

Cheers! Jordan
    Last edited by jordanwsr; 03-29-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Forum Member

after using these at FDIC and at a training site last month, my question is on the batteries. Both were warm days, the first in the mid 80's and nearly 75 in Indy. The batteries lasted only about 10 minutes. The reps said that the cure is to have multiple batteries. Those guys ran themselves ragged shuttleing nearly 25 batteries for one set of tools! that does not seem practical at a rescue scene. I researched lithium ion batteries and it seems they do have quite the issue with temps. Cold, below freezing they will not charge, and hot above 80 degrees they discharge rapidly.
    Also, how do we address inclement weather? It rained briefly at Indy and the reps rushed to cover the tools. Do we not have wrecks during the rain? I talked with Holmatro and Amkus at the show as well as TNT. All said the same. Holmatro has a battery over hydraulic tool which I was told was going into its tenth year of production. It has been a combi tool marketed as a back up or forcible entry/light extrication tools or tool for remote operations. They said they never pursued a full battery set, which would have been easy, because of the inclement conditions normally encountered at car wrecks and that electronics are not as durable.

I think we'll stick with our "heavy" hydraulics, which by the way are lighter than the battery ones. LOL

Forum Member

One of the reasons I follow YOUR posts. Right on all counts. While the Li-ion don't have memory like Ni-cads they don't like cold weather very well either. We're sticking with gas pumps and conventional hydraulics. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We looked at these "tools" two weeks ago, due to the fact that we were lucky enough to receive a AFG grant. They were nice, but seemed to me, to open and close slower than the old standard. I can see where there is a place the battery tools if you had to go to a remote area, where a portable pump and lines would complicate matters, but if you have access to your truck and mainly run up and down the Hwy, why not just stay with the older proven tech.
    Our major concern with the battery operated tools was the overall cost of the batteries and their availability 10 years from now. After looking at the tools we have chosen to stay with what we now works 99.9 % of the time.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Just looked at them with rep. We have a nearly new high pressure Hurst set and they do appear to be slightly slower compared to that.
    I asked the same questions you are about batteries, I felt that I never really got an answer.
    It was fun to play with, neato tool in the parking lot, we are sticking with what we know works every time.

Forum Member

Using WHO's tool as a criteria? There is NO WAY a battery powered tool is going to have MORE power that a gas or Pto powered hyd tool. At $7800 that would put them on par with a conventional hydraulic tool. We've had ZERO luck with battery powered tools,part of this is due to the way the batteries are used. We've also had ZERO problems with our generators and they run well over an hour on a tank of fuel.No battery change required. T.C.
    Although I'm not a big fan of having more batteries on my truck...I've used the Hurst edraulics tools at a class. Their big cutter is heavy but it does work as advertised. We did one full car (4 doors and roof with one battery) When I asked the dealer for specs...they didn't offer the cutting force, but they did have the NFPA rating A8/B9/C8/D9/E9. This is comprable to the Genesis C236 Cutter which advertises 236,000 lbs of cutting force & the TNT BFC-320 which advertises 320,000 lbs of cutting force.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFD615 View Post
    Although I'm not a big fan of having more batteries on my truck...I've used the Hurst edraulics tools at a class. Their big cutter is heavy but it does work as advertised. We did one full car (4 doors and roof with one battery) When I asked the dealer for specs...they didn't offer the cutting force, but they did have the NFPA rating A8/B9/C8/D9/E9. This is comprable to the Genesis C236 Cutter which advertises 236,000 lbs of cutting force & the TNT BFC-320 which advertises 320,000 lbs of cutting force.
    Couple things come to mind. Nothing untruthful about my original statement. Let's take the E-system and work it on the job at 0 F and see how long the batteries last.
    It's WELL known I'm NO fan of battery powered tools. If you like them by all means buy 'em. To date,we have not had a job we couldn't get our gas powered tools to. Nor one we couldn't get into. We WON'T have battery powered tools on OUR rigs, we have POOR luck with them. Mostly because of rotation,charging and lack of use but in ANY event,they don't work here. T.C.

Thread Information