Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dispatchers response to a MAYDAY

Does anyone have an SOP for a dispatchers response to a mayday. As a full-time firefighter and part time dispatcher i see that there are dispatchers that have no experience in the fire field and may not know what to listen for or what to do in this situation. A majority probably never heard the acronym LUNAR, which is what information a firefighter is trained to give in a mayday situation.
    L-LOCATION
    U-UNIT
    N-NAME
    A-AIR SUPPLY
    R-RESOURCES NEEDED

ahhh I'm the opposite..lol fulltime dispatcher and part-time firefighter..however, I'm very familiar with LUNAR. I actually work as a police dispatcher now, but before this I had 4 years with a 911 center that dispatched for fire,ems, and police..I think with my background and experience..as a dispatcher..if I was able to hear the mayday(knowing the fireground procedures) I would probably do an immediate closure of the channel and advise of the mayday(so the county knew why we closed the channel) and then stand by for a moment and see if the command responded appropriately to the MAYDAY on the fireground..and most likely let them handle it from their end..I wouldnt want to start talking and interupt any traffic they may have or need to have. Now in our county we usually switch to a fireground channel for communications and alot of times the dispatch center doesnt hear that traffic at all..so in the event that a mayday was called on a main channel and I was to hear it..I would only intervene if there was a breakdown in communication and it was necessary to step in.

Just my personal opinion, the center I worked for never had a policy for anything like that..what do you think?
    "First In, Last Out"

Our chiefs have said they will handle any MAYDAYs announced during an incident. Our only action would be to monitor and of course advise command if they do not hear the MAYDAY.
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are currently looking to update our RIT/RIC SOP; I have been charged with this. I have an SOG that I could share with you that is pretty specific and could be used by your Department if it works for you. Send me a P.M. with your email address and I'll shoot it over to ya..... Stay safe.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Our dispatchers think it is a celebration held in may.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

When I was a dispatcher, (Fire/EMS that is - not the PD) - if a Mayday was called, I would ensure that the units on scene heard/acknowledged and let it be run from the scene - with support relaying messages if needed, and/or getting more apparatus - whatever the IC wanted/needed.

Now, working on the PD side - we had a 'Signal 5' I believe it was....the same as a 10-13 'officer needs assistance'.....as a dispatcher I would confirm the location, relay transmissions so everyone could hear, get on the Hotline and make any required notifications.....and try to get a status/update if possible from the officer...not always easy!.....

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Our dispatchers think it is a celebration held in may.
    Thats if they hear the transmission.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Default Dispatcher response to a MAYDAY

renomed13:

Our County's MAYDAY protocol, complete with specific directions for Dispatchers, is located on our website. Go to http://www.city.fitchburg.wi.us/depa...nual/index.php Then scroll down to "8004-1 Dane County Fire/EMS Radio Communications Protocol," click on that link. Then, scroll down to "2S-1 Emergency Traffic/MAYDAY." RLP

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    Thats if they hear the transmission.
    You have the same dispatchers/radio system I have.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Too Complicated

Quote Originally Posted by renomed13 View Post
    Does anyone have an SOP for a dispatchers response to a mayday. As a full-time firefighter and part time dispatcher i see that there are dispatchers that have no experience in the fire field and may not know what to listen for or what to do in this situation. A majority probably never heard the acronym LUNAR, which is what information a firefighter is trained to give in a mayday situation.
    L-LOCATION
    U-UNIT
    N-NAME
    A-AIR SUPPLY
    R-RESOURCES NEEDED
    I would venture to say if you asked your firefighters what LUNAR stands for many would not know of have to really think about it. If you cannot remember in a non-emergency what happens when everything is hitting the fan. I prefer LIP
    L-Location
    I-Identification
    P-Problem

MembersZone Subscriber

Ahhh, when I asked mine they knew what it meant... But then again, we train and use it so repetition, repetition, repetition... I'm not saying LIP is bad, but seems that this is an area where maybe we (the FS) could get together and come-up with (1) answer and implement it.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

no written policy at my department either it is late in the game we all need to be aware of these sog / sop lapses and fix them before we need them

MembersZone Subscriber

Our dispatch center has a SOP for mayday situations. I'd have to review it for details, but the basics are:

Make sure that command has heard and acknowledges the Mayday.
    Switch operations to another tac channel: the RIT activities and incident command remain on the original channel.
    Monitor both channels (separate dispatchers) to provide IC whatever resources or info that they need.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Our dispatch center has a SOP for mayday situations. I'd have to review it for details, but the basics are:

Make sure that command has heard and acknowledges the Mayday.
    Switch operations to another tac channel: the RIT activities and incident command remain on the original channel.
    Monitor both channels (separate dispatchers) to provide IC whatever resources or info that they need.
    Just happened for you guys the other day right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Just happened for you guys the other day right?
    I believe so. I've been out of service all weekend, so I wasn't there and wasn't able to listen to the scanner. I don't know what happened. I've been told that everybody will be OK, so that's good.

Thread Information