Forum Member

Default Hello from Southeast Missouri

Hello all! Finally decided to join up on the site after not being to get some exclusive content..A bit about me.. 24 years old, been in the fire service since age 15 as a junior FF, now serve as active FF/EMT on a combination department (paid per call for me). I work fulltime as a Police Dispatcher and am on the hunt for a career fire job some day..just havent gotten set on doing Medic just yet lol. That about wraps it up, looking forward to getting some good insight on new advances in the fire service and other stuff.

Forum Member

Welcome to the Forums. Two things to consider if you want to be taken seriously.

1. The avatar pic, of a trashed engine is not cool. Accidents are a serious matter

2. your screen name. Unless it has a meaning and you are willing to defend it like the Johnny Cash song, " a boy named Sue" it might be worth looking into a new one.

Just my two cents worth
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    Welcome to the Forums. Two things to consider if you want to be taken seriously.

1. The avatar pic, of a trashed engine is not cool. Accidents are a serious matter

2. your screen name. Unless it has a meaning and you are willing to defend it like the Johnny Cash song, " a boy named Sue" it might be worth looking into a new one.

Just my two cents worth

I totally agree, both are not good.

The webteam will switch your screen name for you, come up with a better one and change the avatar, that isn't a good photo. Too many of older guys have seen enough apparatus accidents.

Forum Member

Just my two cents worth
    Well said!

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Forum Member

How about no and no to both...if the pic or the name offends you , dont look. The name is a dept coined nick name and the pic is something I'm proud to say I made it out of..thanks for the concern.
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ****brick3633 View Post
    how about no and no to both...if the pic or the name offends you , dont look. The name is a dept coined nick name and the pic is something i'm proud to say i made it out of..thanks for the concern.

word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

How about no and no to both...if the pic or the name offends you , dont look. The name is a dept coined nick name and the pic is something I'm proud to say I made it out of..thanks for the concern.

Im gonna have to agree, if its offensive dont look. Its that simple.
    Kudos to ****brick3633 for standing up for yourself.
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Forum Member

Well big boy here you go. I am glad you are proud of the accident, really something to be proud of. From what I read "according" to the driver he swerved to the right to avoid a vehicle "hugging" the center of the road. From all indication the driver did not have control of his vehicle. Oh, forgot to add the statement in one article where the driver and front passenger were ejected, whats up with that? I am glad you are really proud of something that NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED. If the oncoming vehicle was inside his line on the road the accident is totally not his fault, it lies on the back of the AO in not having control of the vehicle. Ever see the St. Louis crash video?

Now, about the name.... A few years ago my cuurent chief (he was a battalion chief at the time) was listening to a district chief talk about his department and the "squirrels". He seemed to think beig a "squirrel" was a term of endearment. He even went as far as getting helmet crests for his helmet that said "squirrel". I had to put a stop to the madness. You should have seen his reaction when I told him what being a squirrel meant. He couldn't get rid of the cresents quick enough and you are.... ****brick. Real character reference there friend. If you're proud of it, then so am I

Oh, good thing having your dispatch buddies have your back covered. That is a total different story to come.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down? (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Well big boy here you go. I am glad you are proud of the accident, really something to be proud of. From what I read "according" to the driver he swerved to the right to avoid a vehicle "hugging" the center of the road. From all indication the driver did not have control of his vehicle. Oh, forgot to add the statement in one article where the driver and front passenger were ejected, whats up with that? I am glad you are really proud of something that NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED. If the oncoming vehicle was inside his line on the road the accident is totally not his fault, it lies on the back of the AO in not having control of the vehicle. Ever see the St. Louis crash video?

Now, about the name.... A few years ago my cuurent chief (he was a battalion chief at the time) was listening to a district chief talk about his department and the "squirrels". He seemed to think beig a "squirrel" was a term of endearment. He even went as far as getting helmet crests for his helmet that said "squirrel". I had to put a stop to the madness. You should have seen his reaction when I told him what being a squirrel meant. He couldn't get rid of the cresents quick enough and you are.... ****brick. Real character reference there friend. If you're proud of it, then so am I

Oh, good thing having your dispatch buddies have your back covered. That is a total different story to come.
    Well..CAPT..with 24 years of service and just promoted to CAPT in 2009..whats up with that..anyway..CAPT..read the articles over and over again and you still wont have the facts of that night or understand the underlying conditions, like the big *** ditches on each side of the highway that has no shoulders.. #1, I never said I was proud that we wrecked the truck, proud to say I made it out alive, yes..#2 there was indeed a car on our side of the road that night, said driver did swerve as a natural instinct. #3, would anyone have control of an apparatus of this size at that point in time, hell no...it was a 2000 gallon tandem axel pumper tanker..not even the best of best drivers would have control of this vehicle, as we had one our better drivers driving that night. #4, again reading the articles still doesnt display the facts, driver was belted, passenger riding officer seat was ejected, yes..however it was discovered after the facts that the driver was pulled from the vehicle by a volly that stopped to assist..he was first on the scene..this all took place before us passengers in the rear regained consciousness..#5..of course I've seen the STLFD crash videos..what does any of that have to do with our specific accident?..nothing that I'm aware of, they both failed to come to a stop or even slow down at a mutual crossing point..we were on a missouri highway with no shoulders..sooo STL has no point in your reference material..I'm not trying to throw a pitty party or anything..you were offended by a picture I have as my avatar stating I should change it if I want to be taken seriously..but I get your type CAPT with 24 years of service with only one of those being a CAPT..you criticize..no big deal for me, i've heard it all after this wreck, i'm used to it. You're the same type of person that will go on these forums or even in person maybe say certain things that you would want people to believe is facts or the gospel because you said it and have over 20years of fire service..well if thats the case, if anyone should understand accidents sometimes just dont get avoided, I would think it would be you.

And as for the screen name..its a station coined nickname..something fun developed because when I first joined, some of the guys couldnt pernounce my last name..its not like I have my nametag's all saying that or stickers on my helmet displaying the name..it stays in station. I think you older folks should seriously relax..I wish a silly screen name was all I had to worry about on a day to day basis.

And as for my "dispatching buddies"..I have no control over what they post..those are my boys, no doubt, sorry I have friends who understand a situation or where we come from. I'm done posting on this issue because its serioulsy a joke that you and others were offended or upset by a picture and a screen name..good luck with your CAPT position
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

Since you were just born the year I started on the job there is a lot you don't know. In my dept Capt is as high as you can get on a shift. And in a career dept with little turnover it took a while considering at times I was vocal in disagreement with the administration and could back it up with training.

As for the accident, I drove for 11 (nearly half of your life) years under every type of condition. Having the vehicle under control is of the utmost importance and here it didn't happen. If it were a surprising, dangerous curve the unexpected person at that time of night should have been prepared for (my reference to the St. Louis video). Guys that have had accidents want to forget them, trust me.

Forum Member

Since you were just born the year I started on the job there is a lot you don't know. In my dept Capt is as high as you can get on a shift. And in a career dept with little turnover it took a while considering at times I was vocal in disagreement with the administration and could back it up with training.

As for the accident, I drove for 11 (nearly half of your life) years under every type of condition. Having the vehicle under control is of the utmost importance and here it didn't happen. If it were a surprising, dangerous curve the unexpected person at that time of night should have been prepared for (my reference to the St. Louis video). Guys that have had accidents want to forget them, trust me.
    and you wonder why you just got promoted.."vocal disagreement", imagine that...and I never said or implied that I knew everything, I very much agree and live by the saying that you never stop learning..I just wanted to point out the FACTS for this specific occurance and the fact that you basically have little to no input on this matter considering you are in no way a part of what happened, therefor, you have no clue...but let me guess..your 24 years of service gives you the automatic clue on everything.. I get it old man
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

Well..CAPT..with 24 years of service and just promoted to CAPT in 2009..whats up with that..anyway..CAPT..read the articles over and over again and you still wont have the facts of that night or understand the underlying conditions, like the big *** ditches on each side of the highway that has no shoulders.. #1, I never said I was proud that we wrecked the truck, proud to say I made it out alive, yes..#2 there was indeed a car on our side of the road that night, said driver did swerve as a natural instinct. #3, would anyone have control of an apparatus of this size at that point in time, hell no...it was a 2000 gallon tandem axel pumper tanker..not even the best of best drivers would have control of this vehicle, as we had one our better drivers driving that night. #4, again reading the articles still doesnt display the facts, driver was belted, passenger riding officer seat was ejected, yes..however it was discovered after the facts that the driver was pulled from the vehicle by a volly that stopped to assist..he was first on the scene..this all took place before us passengers in the rear regained consciousness..#5..of course I've seen the STLFD crash videos..what does any of that have to do with our specific accident?..nothing that I'm aware of, they both failed to come to a stop or even slow down at a mutual crossing point..we were on a missouri highway with no shoulders..sooo STL has no point in your reference material..I'm not trying to throw a pitty party or anything..you were offended by a picture I have as my avatar stating I should change it if I want to be taken seriously..but I get your type CAPT with 24 years of service with only one of those being a CAPT..you criticize..no big deal for me, i've heard it all after this wreck, i'm used to it. You're the same type of person that will go on these forums or even in person maybe say certain things that you would want people to believe is facts or the gospel because you said it and have over 20years of fire service..well if thats the case, if anyone should understand accidents sometimes just dont get avoided, I would think it would be you.

And as for the screen name..its a station coined nickname..something fun developed because when I first joined, some of the guys couldnt pernounce my last name..its not like I have my nametag's all saying that or stickers on my helmet displaying the name..it stays in station. I think you older folks should seriously relax..I wish a silly screen name was all I had to worry about on a day to day basis.

And as for my "dispatching buddies"..I have no control over what they post..those are my boys, no doubt, sorry I have friends who understand a situation or where we come from. I'm done posting on this issue because its serioulsy a joke that you and others were offended or upset by a picture and a screen name..good luck with your CAPT position
    Slow down, get there.

Forum Member

Both of you guys need to step back, take a breath and chill for a day or two before your blood pressure goes over 300!

Try to get along better.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I told my self I would not comment on this I am the driver of the fire truck from farmington along with being**itbricks brother I was the senior ff of the six on the truck that night I have been in the fire service since 1996 and been driving fire trucks since 2000 I consider my self a very experienced driver and firefighter we can all sit here and argue about things bottom line is that it was accident I was driving a 2000 gallon pumper tanker on a rural highway with no shoulder the truck took the whole driving lane as it was I had vehicle approching my only choice was to slow down and try to move over to a avoid contact with the vehicle when this happened one of the duals lost contact with hard surface and the incline pulled me off the road and when I brought it back on the road along with the water shifting there was no controlling what happned next all I can say thank god all my brothers in the truck are ok and Im being released next week after a long 6 months accidents happen and all we can hope is that we can learn from this and move on .

And second as far as his **itbricks screen name he did get that nickname at the fire house from one of the full time guys its not ment to offend anyone just some good firehouse fun.

** And remember guys be safe on every call**

Forum Member

After reading these post I am both amazed and disgusted. The Fire Service is a brotherhood and sisterhood we stick together. There should be no negative criticism on each others depts or events within their dept. The wreck was a horrible event but we should do exactly as cfarr said to do learn from it and move on.
    Last edited by BigE3600; 12-14-2010 at 04:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Both of you guys need to step back, take a breath and chill for a day or two before your blood pressure goes over 300!

Try to get along better.
    Why can't we all just get along....

Ok, really now.

Itbricks, your a kid that just has not lived long enough to learn better. Hopefully you will live that long. It is a learning process, and every one of us went through it. Don't take offense, it is what it is. Those of us that are supervisors have to learn to channel your efforts and make you not only an effective firefighter, but an effective supervisor at some point.

Capt387? The old adage about teaching a pig to sing applies here. He is young, and is certainly not going to listen here. I suspect that with proper supervision and guidance, one day he will make a hell of a firefighter, and yes, supervisor. He just needs to get to that point.

Cfarr? Who was charged in the wreck? No such thing as an accident, they are wrecks and someone is at fault. HIPO is big on that, they no longer refer to them as accidents.

Chewy, A bit off topic, but do you know anyone on a fire department up there that does bushhog work? I need a site in Park Hills mowed down, up on top of Wood Street. I try to use firefighters whenever possible, to "keep it in the family".

Forum Member

Default Welcome

Wow !!Talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool. It looks like " It's going to be a long and bumpy ride." as Betty Davis would say....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Why can't we all just get along....

Ok, really now.

Itbricks, your a kid that just has not lived long enough to learn better. Hopefully you will live that long. It is a learning process, and every one of us went through it. Don't take offense, it is what it is. Those of us that are supervisors have to learn to channel your efforts and make you not only an effective firefighter, but an effective supervisor at some point.

Capt387? The old adage about teaching a pig to sing applies here. He is young, and is certainly not going to listen here. I suspect that with proper supervision and guidance, one day he will make a hell of a firefighter, and yes, supervisor. He just needs to get to that point.

Cfarr? Who was charged in the wreck? No such thing as an accident, they are wrecks and someone is at fault. HIPO is big on that, they no longer refer to them as accidents.

Chewy, A bit off topic, but do you know anyone on a fire department up there that does bushhog work? I need a site in Park Hills mowed down, up on top of Wood Street. I try to use firefighters whenever possible, to "keep it in the family".
    LVFD...i'm not sure what me being young has anything to with the original post and CAPT's comments...I simply posted a Hello greeting, and capt replied with a very arrogant remark concerning my avatar and screen name..

and as for my being young..I will agree..as I said in a previous post which you obviously didnt catch..I live by the saying that you never stop learning, and I can take constructive criticizism, no problem..of course I dont know all there is to know and probably never will..my point in this whole issue is why does CAPT have to come on here and post on someone's simple greeting that "I should change my screen name and avatar pic if I wanted to be taken seriously"..I took offense to that, sure. And all I ask of my later posts is that folks like you and him(which I figured after 24 years of service) would understand that accidents happen, its not a big deal. Everyone made it out alive, the picture is an eye-opener for any other firefighters out there that may think.."it'll never happen to us". Thats it, thats all I want Capt to understand, is my side of things, but just as I am "young and won't listen here" (according to you), CAPT is of an older generation and stuck in some deep roots and ways of thinking, so same concept..cant change the mindset. I've spoke my mind enough here and it's not that I'm anymore right than the next guy, and I understand that some folks just wont understand or allow themselves to understand and will think negatively no matter what.
    "First In, Last Out"

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually I think he was just trying to offer his thoughts. I tend to agree with him on the name, but actually disagree on the picture. The picture is a reminder - and the source of conversation about the incident. We learn from those conversations. If nothing else, it got me to go back and look at the incident again - I am sure with my memory refreshed I will take it back to my firefighters at next training. You all any relation to Bill?

The name - thats one of those things I talked about when I mentioned growing and developing.

If you don't want his thoughts, or mine, just like your advice to him about not looking at it, you don't have to look at his or my advice.

I tend to look at wrecks like HIPO does - there are no accidents on the road.

And although Capt and I may disagree about the picture, I suspect we are both of the same era..... Even us old fossils have differing opinions.

Forum Member

Actually I think he was just trying to offer his thoughts. I tend to agree with him on the name, but actually disagree on the picture. The picture is a reminder - and the source of conversation about the incident. We learn from those conversations. If nothing else, it got me to go back and look at the incident again - I am sure with my memory refreshed I will take it back to my firefighters at next training. You all any relation to Bill?

The name - thats one of those things I talked about when I mentioned growing and developing.

If you don't want his thoughts, or mine, just like your advice to him about not looking at it, you don't have to look at his or my advice.

I tend to look at wrecks like HIPO does - there are no accidents on the road.

And although Capt and I may disagree about the picture, I suspect we are both of the same era..... Even us old fossils have differing opinions.
    Very well then, classic case of opinions here I guess..and we all know what those are like! lol thanks for the honesty in your posts
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

Charged what are you talking about the other vehicle did not stop and there was other witnesses besides who was in the truck that saw this vehicle on the road so now are we charging FF for having a accident are you serious and im sorry never heard of HIPO who is this .

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cfarr36 View Post
    Charged what are you talking about the other vehicle did not stop and there was other witnesses besides who was in the truck that saw this vehicle on the road so now are we charging FF for having a accident are you serious and im sorry never heard of HIPO who is this .
    HIPO = Missouri State Highway Patrol.

Forum Member

HIPO = Missouri State Highway Patrol.
    Where I come from Missouri State Highway Patrol = MSHP

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cfarr36 View Post
    Where I come from Missouri State Highway Patrol = MSHP
    LOL... That too. HIPO is more of a slang. Notice the reference here,

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-drun...,1573077.story

Forum Member

LVFD301 where are exactly are you from !!

Thread Information