Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We all get a pager (plus we have text-on-dispatch on our cell phones available) and respond when available. At just over 100 calls a year, with half of them strictly EMS, it's just not worth keeping people in the station. After a while they'd get tired of preplans, scut work and sitting around and would stop showing up anyhow.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    So I'm a little new to the process, but how does volunteer FFing actually work? Do vollies pull shifts at the house or what? I've read other forums that mention beepers for volunteers and I'm not sure how the whole process works once you've gone through training.
    Like mentioned before, everyplace is different. We are issued a pager once we are through training and have maintained a minimum call volume for a while. We try to keep a minimum staffing at the station all of the time. Everybody is expected to run either a day evening or overnight duty every week. Home response is used to staff the 2nd piece. We run just over 2000 calls a year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Like mentioned before, everyplace is different. We are issued a pager once we are through training and have maintained a minimum call volume for a while. We try to keep a minimum staffing at the station all of the time. Everybody is expected to run either a day evening or overnight duty every week. Home response is used to staff the 2nd piece. We run just over 2000 calls a year.
    With that high a call volume for a volunteer (or is it a combo) department, I would imagine you are trying to keep as high a membership as possible.

Dedication from volunteer firefighters is extraordinary, but having to carry the load for members that feel they have an excuse not to make as many runs can wear on those dedicated FF's.

Has anyone ever noticed that membership from certain employer or employment location, tend to participate less than other FF's do? In our county the largest employer who also pays a very high wage and offers a 4 day per week job has the lowest participation when it comes to attending meetings, training and responding. I cannot put my finger on why they are like this, but every new application for membership which has them as an employee of this plant, always ends up having minor involvement.

Wonder if it is the same in other areas?

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Has anyone ever noticed that membership from certain employer or employment location, tend to participate less than other FF's do?
    I've encountered the opposite - one employer in particular was very open to their FF employees leaving.

Perhaps it would do well to investigate - there might be a company policy or philosophy involved. You never know - discussing the issue with the company could provide that insight or perhaps lead to the company visibly supporting the fire service, which might increase the participation from those members.

If this is a major employer in your area partnering with them could be a good thing. Offering to do a walk-through to familiarize your FF's with the layout and fire load might be a good start.

Too, there may be an economic side. If said employer has mostly low wage employees, second jobs may well be a reason for reduced participation.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    With that high a call volume for a volunteer (or is it a combo) department, I would imagine you are trying to keep as high a membership as possible.

Dedication from volunteer firefighters is extraordinary, but having to carry the load for members that feel they have an excuse not to make as many runs can wear on those dedicated FF's.

Has anyone ever noticed that membership from certain employer or employment location, tend to participate less than other FF's do? In our county the largest employer who also pays a very high wage and offers a 4 day per week job has the lowest participation when it comes to attending meetings, training and responding. I cannot put my finger on why they are like this, but every new application for membership which has them as an employee of this plant, always ends up having minor involvement.

Wonder if it is the same in other areas?
    Ours is an all volunteer department, in fact the entire county is still volunteer.

As tree mentioned, we have almost the opposite. We are fortunate to have several people who work shift work and are able to staff the station during the day.

It does get frustrating having people who can't run as much as others. I myself get frustrated when I can't help up as much as others. It's just the nature of the beast and we try to remember that those that aren't running as much are hopefully helping out in other ways.

Forum Member

. Im also in the same boat as you as student/FF.
    Last edited by MeadowGlen; 02-24-2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: D

Forum Member

Just giving an update my brothers. The FD has officially ended their career FF hiring process. My assumption is that during the summer they will begin bringing on volunteers. Keep your fingers crossed...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeadowGlen View Post
    . Im also in the same boat as you as student/FF.
    That is most excellent. Do you mind sharing your personal experience as a student and a volunteer?

Thread Information