Thread: What happens

Forum Member

Default What happens

I'm back once again with yet another question. Its finals time around my college and me and my buddies were kicking back studying and of course the question of how you like your major classes so far came up. I am undeclared and my friends asked me if I was still sticking with the firefighting thing. Now one of the guys is always dogging me about my decision saying you know you won't make a lot of money and things like that. I tell him everytime that its not for the money and that I will make enough to live to my view of comfortable. After I told him this he says what will you do when you go into a fire and get hurt and can't work anymore? I didn't know how to respond. So basically I am wondering, what does happen if you get hurt? If it is bad enough to were you can never return do you get any compensation or are you just left to fend for yourself? Once again, any input is greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Default Sitting around

You can "what if" the fire profession like any other job. The key is to not get hurt and if you do there is many ways one can get by. Workers comp.....sick leave.....exchanges by other firefighters....another position on the fire department (fire prevention) or any other daylight job. I'm sure there will be many more suggestions in the following replies and I think that with any job there are risks .With the fire service being at the top of that list.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Declare a major that will put money in your pocket

That way if you get hurt you can use your major to make a living

Also you can use your major on your second job and be double dipping
    Making double the money

Forum Member

Would it be a good idea to complete a lot of my basics and then get into the fire service and still take online classes? Im wanting to get by the time I'm 21 that give me time to complete my sophomore year. I may even start next year.

Forum Member

There are alot of "What-if's" with any job. That should never be a question when you are considering making a career out of something that you love.

Forum Member

This is true. Truthfully I just worry because I want to be able to always provide for the ones I love as well. Plus it doesn't help that my friends constantly ask what will I do if I get hurt they started the subject again last night. I guess no matter how much I explain that its a calling (this is a cheesy way to put it), something I have wanted to do since I was a child, they will never understand my career choice.

Forum Member

There is not much good pondering over the what ifs, like said that can be for any job almost. Construction sites are dangerous, carpal tunnel restricting typing or writing, car accident on the way to work and so on. The important thing is that the Fire service takes great steps to make sure we are safe in all aspects of the job through training and safety procedures if it is any good department anyways. The more you know and train the safer you will be. Our department has a good program for injury on the job compensation and they take care of their members if that does happen. Luckily we have not had to deal with that due to great safety officers and command staff. I think that is probably more common than not.

MembersZone Subscriber

What are the parachutes and benefits that are going to protect your friends if they're hurt, injured, laid off in the corporate world? Last we heard, that still isn't the most stable of markets.

In most cases we help our own and have certain things in place that help provide if one of us gets hurt.

Although it was said earlier, I'll reiterate; get a degree that you can use. As getting hired is always like winning the lottery, yet with the economy, the odds are more against you as people formerly in the corporate and blue collar markets who find themselves without work are also looking at the fire service.

And yes, it is "a calling". Not everyone wants to do it. And not everyone can do it.

Thread Information