Forum Member

Default Need Answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey im a 19 year old female and i Have been thinking about being a fire fiighter and want some advice from REAL "fight fighters" my questions are

1. whats really the different between fire fighting & wildland firefighting
    2. what other classes should i take?
    3. where is the best place to start my career(city wise)
    4. should i join the military fire squad or work for a city??

thanks in advance for answering my questions

Forum Member

1 grass

2 find out what your state/area requires to apply

3 where ever they are hiring and you can get hired

4 no

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbjayy View Post
    Hey im a 19 year old female and i Have been thinking about being a fire fiighter and want some advice from REAL "fight fighters" my questions are
    1. whats really the different between fire fighting & wildland firefighting
    2. what other classes should i take?
    3. where is the best place to start my career(city wise)
    4. should i join the military fire squad or work for a city??

thanks in advance for answering my questions
    Structural firefighting is fast and intense for a few hours. Wildland goes on for days/weeks/months.

As far as getting hired, it depends on your state/city requirements. Check various cities human resources to get an idea of what they require.

If you're a career firefighter in the US then you most likely will work for a local government. This could be a city, county, or township FD. Joining the military won't guarantee you a FD job.

Forum Member

Wildland is a much different beast. You might be fighting acres and acres of low burning close to the ground fire that moves fast with the wind or terrain, up hill and you might have to hike for miles to get there. The techniques are different you carry much different gear and the stuff burning is usually natural and all the respiratory protection is not needed. If it gets into the trees it is a little different. Usaully driving in more mobile off road trucks or smaller engines pulling long lengths of small diameter hose and using rakes mclouds and small spades to fight the fire. You usually are spread out within visible distance from others and creat a fire line that hopefully the fire will not cross. Wildland firefighting also do a lot of controlled burns to get rid of fuel that a wildfire may use. You use drip torches and start fire in a controlled manner. It usually lasts alot longer and you may spend days out there.

As for structural you wear heavier gear, use SCBA (air tanks and masks) and pull shorter lengths of larger diameter hose. You have hydrants or dump tanks or water relays. Aerials are used more with larger on road engines. Interior firefighting involves moving in high temp low visibility partner systems where you and 1 to more others pull line and use different tactics. These are usually completed within hours and involve cleanup, salvage and overhaul. You may not fight to many structure fires but may be involved in medical calls depending on the area and department.

I do not know enough about the military end of it but as for a city department your best bet would be to find one you are interested in and talk to them or start on a local volunteer department to get some experience, training and an idea of what it is. Different people like different aspects so if you are not sure get as much info on each and see what you would be better at or enjoy more. Good luck.

Forum Member

Start by checking into your local fire department(s). See what they require and offer. Most cities will have a civil service department that can answer most of your questions.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Need Answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the best way to ask for help. How about "Beginner female needs hiring advice"

Check with your local departments for advice, check with a local college for classes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisFF3 View Post
    Need Answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the best way to ask for help. How about "Beginner female needs hiring advice"

Check with your local departments for advice, check with a local college for classes.
    Ya I don't think the 27 exclamation points are really necessary.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

I'm with fire49 with the following additions:

1. grass and lack of seasonal layoffs.
    2. find out what your top 10 departments require and get those done.
    3. nothing to add.
    4. depends on your dreams...for me...City all day/night.
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbjayy View Post
    Hey im a 19 year old female and i Have been thinking about being a fire fiighter and want some advice from REAL "fight fighters"
    What is a "fight fighter"?

Thread Information