+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Charlotte Fire Department 2011

Does anyone know how many they are looking to hire off of the 2011 test? Also how long does the whole process usually take? I'm getting out of the military in July 2011, and I'm pretty sure i'll be on the right timeline, however, I am just wondering what others think?
    Last edited by DaveKiefer; 12-13-2010 at 07:41 PM.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

I tested last year and judging by the CFD 2010 thread they hired in October I believe. Testing was in March or February and CPAT was in May. They may have hired two recruit classes this year, I'm not for sure. Word had it they were looking to hire about 50 in 2010. So for 2011 that all depends on number of retirees, transfers, etc. Recent new on FH.com talked about CFD needing to restructure their salaries or they could find themselves in financial trouble by 2013. So we'll see if that has any real bearing this year.

Getting out in July should be good timing for you. It's a long process, but just very time consuming to run 2,000+ people through it all. Wish you the best.

I like you sig. I've used that saying verbatim in a couple interviews!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks bennyt. yeah its going to be a whirlwind... should be a fun couple of years trying to get on... somehwere... lol
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

The timing should be good for you getting out of the military. There was a guy hired last year that was going through the process while he was still in the military. He got out in Nov and was hired in Jan.

Our pay has become an issue recently, but Charlotte is still hiring. Two classes were hired off the 2010 list and I haven't heard how many could be hired off the 2011 list. Haven't really been listening. But there will always be people retiring. So they either have to hire or pay OT to keep the staffing levels up.

Forum Member

Heard from the rumor mill that 20-30 will be hired off the 2011 list, all of which are due to retirements.

I would not put all your faith in what you have read online and in the newspapers about CFD. A lot of the info that was printed was not 100% correct. Also, this was merely a suggestion a group has put forth to the chiefs and the city. Now this all has to be discussed, and according to the chief, may not be put in place for 18 months if at all. City has great reserves and things may be different in 18 months.

So dont let that stop you from wanting to apply. Still one of the best in the country.

Hey Kyhunter, hows E11?

Forum Member

just curious to know if being a medic gets you moving along in the process any quicker if you score well on all the tests. or if its just another bullet point on the resume. this is my second time through and didnt take the agility last year due to planning a vacation at the wrong time.

Forum Member

Love it at E11. I'm not leaving here for a while.

Being a medic doesn't give you any points or move you any faster in the process. It does look good on the resume and can help in the interview. It makes you look better. The entire testing process is pass/fail. Your guess is as good as mine as to who moves on and who doesn't.

Be prepared to pass the CPAT on the first practice run. I know some candidates got interviews and conditional job offers shorty after the first or second practice run. They had the offers before the final run of the CPAT. So don't wait and schedule yourself just for the final run. Be prepared to take the practice runs.

Forum Member

Yes, that's generally whats on their tests. The beginning part of the test covers ability to listen to commands and visual memory. That's how it was last year at least.

Just received my email as well for the 15th. The email says this is the only test for 2011. Surely there is going to be multiple days as there is no way that large of a crowd can fit into that building (assuming the same number of testers as last year).
    Last edited by BennyT373; 12-28-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Forum Member

Scheduled for January 22nd. Good luck to everyone!

Forum Member

Default Help on charlotte

So this is my first testing for any department was wondering if anybody could give me pointers on ways to study and what the test might be on i have till the 15th.

MembersZone Subscriber

Below are the testing subjects for the Charlotte fire exam.

Listening and Attention to Details Reading Comprehension/Understanding Written Materials
    Short Term Observation
    Math and Arithmetic Reasoning - includes step-by-step instructional for each question to show you how to arrive at the correct answer
    Mechanical Aptitude

Additional help preparing for the exam can be found at the link below.
    http://www.fireprep.com/charlotte_fi...exam_pre1.html

Assistant Chief Brent Collins, Cleveland Fire Dept.
    Firehouse.com Entry Level Contributor Author since 2002

More Career articles by Chief Collins can be found at the link below
    http://www.firehouse.com/showcase/jobs/articles
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 12-30-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Forum Member

Default Charlotte 2011

Whatsup boys , my test is scheduled on the 22nd. Flying in from the south. From all the videos and storys ive heard.. there a bad *** dept. I also heard 20-30 from the 2011 list PLUS those that are retiring. I wonder what else could be on the test.. i got one of those basic Firefighter exam prep books.. i guess its always good to have those around. Im wondering if there using the fireteam test like everybody else. I tested with another dept in NC and they have FireTeam.
    hhmm..
    if anybody knows anything ,lets help eachother out.
    Over and out.
    See you boys on the diamonds.

Forum Member

Whatsup boys , my test is scheduled on the 22nd. Flying in from the south. From all the videos and storys ive heard.. there a bad *** dept. I also heard 20-30 from the 2011 list PLUS those that are retiring. I wonder what else could be on the test.. i got one of those basic Firefighter exam prep books.. i guess its always good to have those around. Im wondering if there using the fireteam test like everybody else. I tested with another dept in NC and they have FireTeam.
    Any idea on how many are POSSIBLY retiring? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been told when I asked that Charlotte does not have any FireTeam ergometric testing, BUT a very difficult visual portion of the exam.

Forum Member

it was just a comment from a fireman at the airport.. i just saw a video about the whole process with charlotte with there chief speaking in the video. It goes into detail about everything thats going to happen.. no insight as to the test. It just said after the written is a cpat , then a backround and polygraph test, then an interview.. then they present you to the board.. then once you pass all that its probee school. They did mention the driving record and backround are strict..
    here we go.
    Peace

Forum Member

Is this video available online?

Forum Member

The video is on the charlottefire.org website, under the recruitment section. As previously stated, it's a general knowledge exam, and is not emergency-services related. There is both a visual memory portion, as well as an audio portion, that gauges how well you can follow directions.

Charlotte is an excellent department. Good luck to anyone applying. FFMedicMiami, what part of Miami are you from? I grew up in Hialeah/Miami Springs.

Forum Member

The test is general knowledge, reading comprehension, mechanical aptitude, mathematics, so on...same stuff as an ACT/SAT. If you've tested anywhere before the test is the same as any other dept. The first part of the test is usually what makes or breaks people. Be sure you're WIDE AWAKE!!!

The process is the same as about the same as any other FD you'll test for. I don't believe a lot of you are going to get detailed answers as to what's on the test. Hiring 30-40 (supposedly) out of the 4,000 + applicants (per numbers from 2010) is slim pickin'. This is all super competitive, so everyone wants an edge. So no offense, but if you don't know what's going to be on the test and others do, well... you're on your own brother.

There's plenty of information out there and routes to go by to prepare yourself. Charmeck's website, books at amazon/barnes and noble.

Good luck all

Forum Member

Yo Fuss,

Check your PM's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Sure do love the new days of "help yourself and screw everyone else"!

You'll get far with that attitude in fire school.... until you need help with something.
    It's no type of attitude. I've helped out quite a bit by saying what is covered in the test, if you would check my previous comments. I was only saying why there hasn't been much response to this thread about what the test covers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by battlecomedown View Post
    The video is on the charlottefire.org website, under the recruitment section. As previously stated, it's a general knowledge exam, and is not emergency-services related. There is both a visual memory portion, as well as an audio portion, that gauges how well you can follow directions.

Charlotte is an excellent department. Good luck to anyone applying. FFMedicMiami, what part of Miami are you from? I grew up in Hialeah/Miami Springs.
    I'm in Jupiter.

Forum Member

have any of you sent resumes and cover letters??

Forum Member

Default Redirect to charmeck.org

Quote Originally Posted by battlecomedown View Post

I can't seem to find this video. Apparently the charlottefire.org is an old website. Can you post the link or an URL to that video? I'd like to check it out.

Thanks!

Default Preference points

Does anyone know how they do preference points for Charlotte, such as living in the city, experience, training, or if they do the IAFF stamp for already active members?

Forum Member

have any of you sent resumes and cover letters??
    Yes, I also put one in. I have a question about it though...I saved two Word files and uploaded the wrong one to my application by accident and didn't realize it until after I submitted it. It was just missing the part where it says I am currently in an EMT-B class, but I later added it on after I submitted my app. Will it still show up?

Forum Member

Here's a link to the page that the video is on. Scroll dow and click on the image.

http://204.84.25.212/Departments/Fir...tment/Home.htm

Also, CFD doesn't award preference points for anything. If you pass the written test and the CPAT, you are on equal footing with everyone else in the process. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

Thread Information