Forum Member

Default Not forgetting out past

I have noticed when working with new climbers and riggers on job sites that they are not learning or being shown the most basic ways of doing their jobs. For example ( small example ) the use of a single biener as a descender over using a newer device like a I'd or a Gri Gri. The examples can be many and I am sure every old guy out there had their own story. I have always trusted in the method of teaching that you learn from the ground up. Meaning, I will be more then willing to teach you what I can but you will learn the old way first, master that and then you can move onto the new gear being used. I feel this does a few things for a climber/rigger. It gives the student solid back up skills in case all fails them, and gives a greater appreciation for the history of what they are doing that has been made easyer for them.
    I like to drill into students heads that it wont be a fancy new toy that will solve most problems but a skill that is used little but will always be there when you need it ( as long as you took the time to learn it ). I had a teacher that had me lay out all my climbing gear one day, had me tell him why I have what I have. As I was going thru all the nice new gear he had a smerk that I new was going to be bad for me at some point. After I was done he took every thing from me for the exception of a rope, 4 bieners and a prusick. He gave me a normally easy task and told me to do it.... with what he left me. Down in flames I went. Point was made, all the gear in the world is nice but when thats all you know you are setting your self up for failure.
    How many of the reader/posters here drill using the minimum amount of gear, just so they know that there crew will be able to operate when in a jam?

Forum Member

I agree, you have to crawl before you walk. So what was the task?
    John D. Calamia, BS, NREMTP, FP-C
    Firefighter/Flight Paramedic
    Broomall, PA

I'm a big fan of building a solid foundation of the basics first. An understanding of the basics will provide the foundation needed to successfully master the advanced. There's an old saying that goes "When the battery dies the old fashion hand tool always works."
    Nice Topic
    Mike
    "Training Prepares You...For Moments That Define You

Forum Member

The task was to ascend a tree build a MA raise an object, and then dscend in a setup diffrent to how I came up. Like I said it was ugly, but now looking back its not that heavy of a task.

Forum Member

Good idea, I may just have to try it!
    John D. Calamia, BS, NREMTP, FP-C
    Firefighter/Flight Paramedic
    Broomall, PA

Thread Information