Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    57

    Exclamation Firefighter 1 class question

    Hello, i have a question for you guys. How long(on average) it takes a normal firefighter 4th class to get to 1st class firefighter, i mean how long would it take me from the date of hire to get promoted to 3rd,2nd and 1st class. Approximate times please.
    The other question, do you guys think its worth to get hired by a Fire department 100 miles away, just to get hired, so i won't lose my chance of being a firefighter and then after some promotions or couple years to transfer closer to my residence within 20-30 miles.
    And are there any policies about how long you have to stay at certain fire department before you can transfer to a different one.
    Thanks a lot for your time.


  2. #2
    Forum Member Jonnee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denusa View Post
    Hello, i have a question for you guys. How long(on average) it takes a normal firefighter 4th class to get to 1st class firefighter, i mean how long would it take me from the date of hire to get promoted to 3rd,2nd and 1st class. Approximate times please.
    The other question, do you guys think its worth to get hired by a Fire department 100 miles away, just to get hired, so i won't lose my chance of being a firefighter and then after some promotions or couple years to transfer closer to my residence within 20-30 miles.
    And are there any policies about how long you have to stay at certain fire department before you can transfer to a different one.
    Thanks a lot for your time.

    We don't operate with that type of FF Classes. You complete recruit school you are certified as FF-2 by NFPA Standards. It is now up to you to apply yourself to move up the ladder in a career development program. The more you advance the more money you receive. If you decide to remain as a basic firefighter, we pay you for a basic firefighter and no more.


    Transfer? This isn't a bus you are going to be riding.

    If you are working at FD-A and now want to work as FD-X, you have to apply for that job, take their tests and pass everything and be interviewed as well as everyone else who gets an interview. They may hired you or skip over you for someone else.

    You may transfer within the department to a fire house which may be closer to where you live providing the Fire Chief thinks it will benifit the department by transferring you.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,887

    Default

    On the 100 mile question, no if you do not mind the drive and depends on what part of the country you live in. 100 miles in the snow might not be fun
    But remember if you work only very third day, a 100 mile drive is not bad verses doing it five days a week

    As far as changing jobs give it at least a year and off probation before you even thing about applying

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    We don't operate with that type of FF Classes. You complete recruit school you are certified as FF-2 by NFPA Standards. It is now up to you to apply yourself to move up the ladder in a career development program. The more you advance the more money you receive. If you decide to remain as a basic firefighter, we pay you for a basic firefighter and no more..

    Really didn't give me any answers on my question, but that might be cause like you said you don't operate with FF class rankings, i think Colorado does tho,i've seen it couple times.The ladder carier stuff is a common sense.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Transfer? This isn't a bus you are going to be riding.

    If you are working at FD-A and now want to work as FD-X, you have to apply for that job, take their tests and pass everything and be interviewed as well as everyone else who gets an interview. They may hired you or skip over you for someone else.

    You may transfer within the department to a fire house which may be closer to where you live providing the Fire Chief thinks it will benifit the department by transferring you.
    I actually meant applying to a different department, i was just asking if there is a certain time you have to stay at that department that hired you in the first place. Thanks for answers.

    Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    On the 100 mile question, no if you do not mind the drive and depends on what part of the country you live in. 100 miles in the snow might not be fun
    But remember if you work only very third day, a 100 mile drive is not bad verses doing it five days a week

    As far as changing jobs give it at least a year and off probation before you even thing about applying
    You know i do a lot of commute everyday,sometimes i have to work 100 miles away from my house for a week or 2 in a row,it's a long drive but it doesn't bother me too much.The snow issue might be a problem tho. I guess my main question on that is " is it really worth sacrificing IF i get hired by that department, to work there for a year or two and then have much greater chances of getting a job closer to my house? Because i hear you guys say to take every opportunity possible as far as testing
    Last edited by Denusa; 12-15-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: grammar

  5. #5
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denusa View Post
    Really didn't give me any answers on my question, but that might be cause like you said you don't operate with FF class rankings, i think Colorado does tho,i've seen it couple times.The ladder carier stuff is a common sense.




    I actually meant applying to a different department, i was just asking if there is a certain time you have to stay at that department that hired you in the first place. Thanks for answers.



    You know i do a lot of commute everyday,sometimes i have to work 100 miles away from my house for a week or 2 in a row,it's a long drive but it doesn't bother me too much.The snow issue might be a problem tho. I guess my main question on that is " is it really worth sacrificing IF i get hired by that department, to work there for a year or two and then have much greater chances of getting a job closer to my house? Because i hear you guys say to take every opportunity possible as far as testing


    Young lady, I think by the screen name you are, If you get a job as a career fighter, you should decide on where you want to live and make a career. Don't just get job here and then after a year want to try to get a job several hundreds of miles away.



    I don't know and you don't say where you are located in what state.

    Most of the large urban department have firfighter ratings as you indicated. I know the FDNY does and really don't know how long it takes from Grade 4 to get to grade 1.

    As Jonnee indicated, that is the way it is done over here in Virginia. You complete recruit training under the Virginia Fire Training rules and the member has a FF-2 certification. The serve a one year probatinary oeriod and in some departments it may be shorter or longer.

    For a member to achieve higher certification they have to attend various classes, some provide by their department and some on their own.

    I would make an attempt to find the location and department that I wanted to stay at for my career. I know sometimes the grass looks better on the other side of the fence, but it isn't always the case. I can tell you that.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    108

    Default

    I can't speak to the class question as we don't use it out here in the Southwestern US. I will speak, however, to the question of getting hired on one department and switching. In a perfect world, we could expect to get hired exactly where our first choice is and spend a career making it a better place. Unfortunately, we're living in a world that forces to always prioritize and consider plans B, C, and onward...

    Fire jobs are going to be more scarce for the next few years (as compared to the last say, eight...), and the competition for these jobs is going to be more intense than ever. You should apply and work for the first department that hires you on the list of ones you would consider. You have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone years from now, so its best to take care of first things first...Get the job.

    I have no intention of leaving the department i've been with for over a decade, and tradition generally frowns upon it...The world, however, is rapidly changing and we must adapt to it...or risk never getting the job we dream of in the first place.

    Paul

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,887

    Default

    If I had to make the 100 mile drive only very third day I would not have a problem with applying for the job

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Young lady, I think by the screen name you are, If you get a job as a career fighter, you should decide on where you want to live and make a career. Don't just get job here and then after a year want to try to get a job several hundreds of miles away.



    I don't know and you don't say where you are located in what state.

    Most of the large urban department have firfighter ratings as you indicated. I know the FDNY does and really don't know how long it takes from Grade 4 to get to grade 1.

    As Jonnee indicated, that is the way it is done over here in Virginia. You complete recruit training under the Virginia Fire Training rules and the member has a FF-2 certification. The serve a one year probatinary oeriod and in some departments it may be shorter or longer.

    For a member to achieve higher certification they have to attend various classes, some provide by their department and some on their own.

    I would make an attempt to find the location and department that I wanted to stay at for my career. I know sometimes the grass looks better on the other side of the fence, but it isn't always the case. I can tell you that.
    thanks, well the only reason for switching for a different department would be the commute,that's the only thing. I live in North Denver and i just applied for Colo Springs department(and i did mention Colorado state earlier). I do understand that you can't jump around fire departments.The only reason to get that job 100 miles away is just to get the job and get all the certification and experience so it will be much easier to apply for Denver metro FDs, i might be wrong tho.
    P.S. and im not a lady,Den=denver,and usa=usa
    Last edited by Denusa; 12-15-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Additions

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulC. View Post
    I can't speak to the class question as we don't use it out here in the Southwestern US. I will speak, however, to the question of getting hired on one department and switching. In a perfect world, we could expect to get hired exactly where our first choice is and spend a career making it a better place. Unfortunately, we're living in a world that forces to always prioritize and consider plans B, C, and onward...

    Fire jobs are going to be more scarce for the next few years (as compared to the last say, eight...), and the competition for these jobs is going to be more intense than ever. You should apply and work for the first department that hires you on the list of ones you would consider. You have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone years from now, so its best to take care of first things first...Get the job.

    I have no intention of leaving the department i've been with for over a decade, and tradition generally frowns upon it...The world, however, is rapidly changing and we must adapt to it...or risk never getting the job we dream of in the first place.

    Paul
    Thanks Paul for the answer, see that's exactly what im thinking about. Im in between two roads. At this moment i make around 70k with a chance to get promoted to management(and i kinda do like what i do) ,the FF job that 100 miles away will start out around 40k. I just wonder if i should stay where im at right now till i get the offer in Denver metro.So it won't be too hard on family and finances as well.(don't forget that somebody does have to pay for that commute). thanks for the great answer,im going to take a really close look at what i should do here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. "How low can you go?"
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 11:40 PM
  2. saying from 9-11-01 and the year 2001
    By mtnfyre21 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2005, 08:51 AM
  3. Replies: 384
    Last Post: 05-18-2002, 11:17 AM
  4. We have to look into our darkest day
    By harlemBrother in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2002, 06:41 PM
  5. Man Allegedly posses as Firefighter
    By LtStick in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-04-2001, 01:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts