Forum Member

Default Minitor V Problem

My Minitor V is squealing if I turn up the volume to loud. Anyone else have this problem? And Does anyone know how to fix it?

Now have a Video of the Squealing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3KUq...&feature=feedu
    Last edited by Wacker1; 12-29-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Forum Member

Define squealing. A solid tone? What channel/mode are you on? You're not inadvertently putting it into one of the porgramming modes, are you?

Forum Member

It happens in every function. I'm a radio engineer so I know what I'm doing with the pager, but if I turn it up to loud it almost sounds like interference but it doesn't matter where I am it'll still do it if I turn it all the way up.

Forum Member

Default Yes

Yes, I have multiple audio recordings of this problem, and additional details.

Forum Member

Open the pager. Get thin piece of foam and place it behind the speaker. I can not for the life of me remember the name of this phenomenon. But this will fix it. The audio amp is picking up the speaker's own vibration and literally causing its own feedback. I used to do this to all our Minitor V's until Motorola started doing it at the factory.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wacker1 View Post
    It happens in every function. I'm a radio engineer so I know what I'm doing with the pager, but if I turn it up to loud it almost sounds like interference but it doesn't matter where I am it'll still do it if I turn it all the way up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Open the pager. Get thin piece of foam and place it behind the speaker. I can not for the life of me remember the name of this phenomenon. But this will fix it. The audio amp is picking up the speaker's own vibration and literally causing its own feedback. I used to do this to all our Minitor V's until Motorola started doing it at the factory.

nmfire, you miss the point.

He said he is a radio engineer and he knows what he is doing with the pager.

He is bright, let him figure it out.

We went to the radio shop with the truck radio that wasn't working, when I was in the company. The tech's looked, tried this and that. One of my guys asked them, if they checked the fuse?

One of the tech yelled back, "I am fu-king radio tech, I know more about this that you do fireman, you stick to shooting water on fires"!

Turned out it was the fuse all along.

Forum Member

More for the benefit of others...

Forum Member

Default Minitor V microphonics

The squealing sound is "microphonics. It is generated by a mechanical link between the speaker and the receivers VCO. It can usually be fixed by adding a foam material behind the speaker to help isolate the mechanical vibrations. Requires disassembly to resolve. What you will find internal to the pager is degraded foam material which is no longer functional.

In case you are looking for an alternative to the Minitor V you might GOOGLE the WatchDog pager from USAlert. Built in the USA. Times have changed and the best voice pager available no longer has the big M on it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don Branner View Post
    The squealing sound is "microphonics. It is generated by a mechanical link between the speaker and the receivers VCO. It can usually be fixed by adding a foam material behind the speaker to help isolate the mechanical vibrations. Requires disassembly to resolve. What you will find internal to the pager is degraded foam material which is no longer functional.
    YES! Thank you. That word has been on the tip of my tongue for days and it's been driving bonkers.

MembersZone Subscriber

In case you are looking for an alternative to the Minitor V you might GOOGLE the WatchDog pager from USAlert. Built in the USA. Times have changed and the best voice pager available no longer has the big M on it.
    Now here you are again. Part of the post is informative, the second part is designed to line your pockets again. Again, a reputable salesperson or other part of the company would post that relationship before slamming the competition.

I always have gone through life letting my products talk for themselves, not badmouthing the competition. At least in this post you were a bit more subdued than in your second post on this board.

Forum Member

Default Minitor v

It is only the beginning- first were the chargers, then the batteries, then the chargers again and now the pagers- This was the worst the the Minitors built in Taiwan- they need to brinb it back to the USA and reduce the price! We are using Watchdog and are very Happy- USAlert gave us a 30 day demo- we never sent it back. I hope to have all Watchdogs next budget

Forum Member

USAlert says WatchDog is a firemans best friend- we don't disagree!

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a department close to us that has a pile of both the USALERT (Nova I think) pagers, and a pile of the Sceptars. They are all inoperable, and too expensive to repair.

They are now looking at Apollo.

One has to ask, was the cheapest the best?

At least the salespeople for Apollo have been honest and straightforward with them, unlike what we see from USAlert here.

Forum Member

Talking

We have switched to Swissphone and Apollo pagers over the last three years.
    Juries still out but they both seem to work much more reliably than the last batch of Min V's we got ,which were off to depot repair more than on our belts.

Thread Information