Forum Member

Default Looking to join the crew

Gents, I got out of the military in '07 and have spent the last few years really trying to determine wether I wanted to get into Firefighting and Rescue, or the Department of Safety and am leaning HEAVILY on Fighting and Rescue. What should my next step be? Finding a Volunteer house? Taking classes? Ride alongs? Thanks for all the help. FYI I currently reside in Denver and would be willing to relocate for a permanent job, but I want to stay in the Rockies somewhere. I cant be without the Mountains any longer.

Forum Member

Hey man,

First off thanks for your service. I personally started out when I was still on AD in Charleston SC.

My suggestion would be to find a house you can volunteer with to start out. Its usually the quickest and easiest way to get your foot in the door. At the same time I would work on getting all the training you can. Most Depts are going to require a Min of FF I and II, EMT-B, and Hazmat Awareness.

Getting in with a good Volunteer house and they will get you most of the training you need as well as some real world experience.

Most depts will get you the FFI and II and in MO you can do hazmat awareness online for free from the state fire acad.

Now the EMT class you will likely have to pay for but if you havent used your GI Bill there are training centers you can use it to cover it.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Joddy

Forum Member

Default some info for you

I don't know if it closed yet but there is a test for an apprentice firefighter opening on the colorado springs FD on Jan 8 I tried to find the link but wasn't able so you might want to call them and see if you can get some info from them. I'm looking for a firefighting job too and this is one of the few I've found that you don't have to have an EMT cert for.
    Thanks for your service
    Matt O
    USN

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt oneill View Post
    I don't know if it closed yet but there is a test for an apprentice firefighter opening on the colorado springs FD on Jan 8 I tried to find the link but wasn't able so you might want to call them and see if you can get some info from them. I'm looking for a firefighting job too and this is one of the few I've found that you don't have to have an EMT cert for.
    Thanks for your service
    Matt O
    USN

Closed on 12-17-2010...

http://www.springsgov.com/Page.aspx?NavID=174
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information