Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildland Gear

Default Wildland Gear

I'm sure this could probably fit under the "wildland" section on forums..but I thought it may get more replies on this section..anywhoooo

I'm on a combination department, paid per call for myself, and we are issued structural ff gear as well as wildland ff gear. Our wildland setup as issued includes, pants, shirt, and a helmet, which is just fine but i'm looking to incorporate a few other items to have.

Where I live, southeast missouri, we often go on mutual aid natural cover fires and are sometimes quite large. I have put together a jump bag for my wildland gear, including good pair boots, gloves, my station assigned gear, a few first aid items, and am looking for other ideas to have a well put together setup.

I'm in the process of getting a set of goggles, a canteen, maybe a compass..and a few other items. I'm curious what everyone else carries or would carry? Maybe its a bit over the top but I like the idea of being prepared for anything..and just something to make my job a little easier or comfortable.
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

(no wildland expert here, but here's what I've heard of)

some snack bars
    a glowstick or two (for that FUBAR situation)
    extra socks
    extra gloves
    chewing gum
    multi tool
    good knife

Quote Originally Posted by ATFDFF View Post
    (no wildland expert here, but here's what I've heard of)

some snack bars
    a glowstick or two (for that FUBAR situation)
    extra socks
    extra gloves
    chewing gum
    multi tool
    good knife
    yea good stuff..thanks for the reply..I used to carry glowsticks back in the day on a different dept..but these are good things too
    "First In, Last Out"

Quote Originally Posted by ****brick3633 View Post
    yea good stuff..thanks for the reply..I used to carry glowsticks back in the day on a different dept..but these are good things too
    Camelback...

Why don't you start with web gear with a USFS approved fire shelter. Then worry about hanging all that gingerbread on your back.

BTW. Nice username. I don't know how that got in but I salute you.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Why don't you start with web gear with a USFS approved fire shelter. Then worry about hanging all that gingerbread on your back.

BTW. Nice username. I don't know how that got in but I salute you.
    LOL..fire shelter..yea thats on my list I have going..forgot to mention that lol..but thats funny you said nice name..on a previous post I was being harassed about it lol
    "First In, Last Out"

Assuming I have all PPE,
    My Pack From the Top down
    3 Ls of water
    Local Maps,
    Clonning Cable,
    GPS,
    Spair Socks,
    Cotton Shirt,
    Toilet Paper,
    2 MRE's,
    Beacon,
    HeadLamp,
    Flagging,
    P-cord,
    File,
    8-fusess,
    disposable camera,
    Gerber Diesel,
    Shelter.

I Need to be self sufficent for at least 48 hours, and i have to live out of this thingat times, but most of the time my engine carries alot of it. 4This is just whats on my Line Gear, A Break down of everything we Take for a deplyoment is a little bigger.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Man thats awesome bushwacker..I dont think we will be getting that extreme around here but I see ur in the rockies area so it makes sense..thanks for the ideas!
    "First In, Last Out"

As others have said and additional...

Take a pencil, cut it down to 1.5". Wind a long strip of duct tape onto it.

Pencil (rest of that pencil, don't need a whole pencil) and a small pad of paper.

Leatherman tool
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Just how far do you get away from the engine ? Are you cutting line or spraying water ? On your line gear - leatherman type tool , plenty of water , hard candy/energy bar , spare gloves ,a compass or gps - on your helmet -helmet light. I dont think many municipal and or rural depts in Missouri spike out, so stay light , If you want some luxuries - keep a bag in the engine with a dry tee shirt & socks - extra batteries ,spare sunglasses/eye protection, baby wipes, bandana, a couple of packs of ener-C type powder and if you want to go all out, sunscreen and some of that poison ivy wash.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    a couple of packs of ener-C type powder
    What about some Ginsing?

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Or Red Bull

Quote Originally Posted by ****brick3633 View Post
    Man thats awesome bushwacker..I dont think we will be getting that extreme around here but I see ur in the rockies area so it makes sense..thanks for the ideas!
    Thanks Man, Thats a Awesome Name too. How long do you think you guys will be out for? Do you stay with the Engine most of the time? Are you going to be bouncing around alot?

MembersZone Subscriber

A flashlight and a lighter.

nah we dont "spike out" lol normally..there has been a few cases over the past years of some very large fires where they may have but not likely the case in our area..and as far as being away from the engine..its very likely the case as we are a very heavily wooded area so there are times where we are out quite a ways..so i like the energy bar idea
    "First In, Last Out"

Forum Member

Ditto on the lighter - nothing more embarrasing than setting up to burn out a road and have to run to a spot on the flank some where, to light off your torch. With about 7 engines lined up laughing and hollering "hurry up "

Ditto on the lighter - nothing more embarrasing than setting up to burn out a road and have to run to a spot on the flank some where, to light off your torch. With about 7 engines lined up laughing and hollering "hurry up "
    More then once, that was how I got to work the torch.

MembersZone Subscriber

B.W. or T.P. is like "Fire Line Gold..." You'd be surprised what a Guy would trade for it in desperate times..... LOL.

Medicated Gold Bond (blue bottle) Powder. It's good fer the tootsies and also in the valley, hopefully you're picking-up what I'm throwing down... LOL.

I carry similar to what Bushwacker carries minus the fusees and diesel since we have those on the Rig. If I'm doing a burn job, then I'll carry fusees and lots of them so I can stack them and not have to bend over. We light our Drip Torches from our fusees, keeps the digits away from the dripping fuel.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Fusees vs drip torches - kinda another "regional" type thing - We carry a bunch on the engine , but seldom used.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    B.W. or T.P. is like "Fire Line Gold..." You'd be surprised what a Guy would trade for it in desperate times..... LOL.

Medicated Gold Bond (blue bottle) Powder. It's good fer the tootsies and also in the valley, hopefully you're picking-up what I'm throwing down... LOL.

I carry similar to what Bushwacker carries minus the fusees and diesel since we have those on the Rig. If I'm doing a burn job, then I'll carry fusees and lots of them so I can stack them and not have to bend over. We light our Drip Torches from our fusees, keeps the digits away from the dripping fuel.
    Lol Diesel is what my Multi tool is called, Sorry about that.

Fusees vs drip torches - kinda another "regional" type thing - We carry a bunch on the engine , but seldom used.
    You can use the Fusses to Light the Drip Torch I love the torch but they are kinda unpractical to to carry in your line gear, but man they sling do much more fire SO much faster.

Thread Information