Forum Member

Default Brand New...What the should I do?

So, I'm a 21 year old college senior (graduating next December) who has developed a recent interest (past year or so) in fire/rescue. My college major has nothing to do with fire science or anything like that. I'm healthy, have a clean criminal record (a couple of speeding tickets that have been dropped, that's it), and will be getting my bachelor's within the year. I'd love to get on with a department, but have no clue what steps I should be taking. No one in fire/rescue in my family, nor any close family friends who I can talk to.

I'm taking an EMT-B course starting in January, but the local volunteer agency won't take me because they require at least a 2-year commitment as an EMT and I'll only be there for 12 months after the course is over with. I figure if I can at least become certified as a Basic EMT, I can get a job doing EMS somewhere when I graduate. Beyond that, I'm at a loss about what to do.

Anyone have any advice to offer? Anything I can do in these next 12 months before I graduate besides taking an EMT-B course?

Forum Member

What state are you in now??

What state do you want to work in???

Forum Member

^

Live in North Carolina now, and want to stay in North Carolina if at all possible. I love my hometown, so I'd like to stay close to it. Looking at Fayetteville, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Wilmington, etc.

Forum Member

Check with those cities to see what the minimum requirements are to apply and then get them

Sometimes it is on the city web site

Forum Member

Looks like you can apply for raliegh next tint they take applications:::

http://www.raleighnc.gov/safety/cont...itAcademy.html

Thread Information