12-17-2010, 09:02 AM #1
16 Firefighter Life Safety Initiatives
Some of the discussions in other threads got me wondering....how many have heard of this program, and what are your thoughts?
From the Everyone goes home Website....
1. Define and advocate the need for a cultural change within the fire service relating to safety; incorporating leadership, management, supervision, accountability and personal responsibility.
2. Enhance the personal and organizational accountability for health and safety throughout the fire service.
3. Focus greater attention on the integration of risk management with incident management at all levels, including strategic, tactical, and planning responsibilities.
4. All firefighters must be empowered to stop unsafe practices.
5. Develop and implement national standards for training, qualifications, and certification (including regular recertification) that are equally applicable to all firefighters based on the duties they are expected to perform.
6. Develop and implement national medical and physical fitness standards that are equally applicable to all firefighters, based on the duties they are expected to perform.
7. Create a national research agenda and data collection system that relates to the initiatives.
8. Utilize available technology wherever it can produce higher levels of health and safety.
9. Thoroughly investigate all firefighter fatalities, injuries, and near misses.
10. Grant programs should support the implementation of safe practices and/or mandate safe practices as an eligibility requirement.
11. National standards for emergency response policies and procedures should be developed and championed.
12. National protocols for response to violent incidents should be developed and championed.
13. Firefighters and their families must have access to counseling and psychological support.
14. Public education must receive more resources and be championed as a critical fire and life safety program.
15. Advocacy must be strengthened for the enforcement of codes and the installation of home fire sprinklers.
16. Safety must be a primary consideration in the design of apparatus and equipment.
01-01-2011, 01:56 PM #2
- Join Date
- Nov 2010
- USA baby
I'm familiar with them. Every year we participate in the national stand down day. Overall I like the concept.Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !
01-01-2011, 02:56 PM #3
thanks for the reply JT - only took over 2 weeks for someone to comment!
01-02-2011, 03:15 AM #4
- Join Date
- Apr 2004
- Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
01-03-2011, 08:49 AM #5
Most Departments won't get past initiative #1."This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By wyesguy24 in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 27Last Post: 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM
By DaSharkie in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 150Last Post: 01-24-2006, 07:19 PM
By PaulGRIMWOOD in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 57Last Post: 11-11-2005, 04:48 PM
By NJFFSA16 in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 0Last Post: 07-10-2003, 02:24 AM
By INDY FIRE in forum Firefighters ForumReplies: 384Last Post: 05-18-2002, 11:17 AM