Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Traffic vests or not?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    NO,you're another YOUNG one that should do a WHOLE LOT LESS talking and MORE listening.
    That is why I am asking questions (this thread).

What YOU KNOW about Fire/emergencies you could put in a thimble and an ant couldn't take a bath.
    I know. It's obvious... I'm only 15. I ate humble pie many posts ago and am asking questions.

Don't know who your Brother is but he's either giving you BAD information OR YOU are not LISTENING,hard to tell from here. T.C.
    One thing's for sure, when I have repeated things I've learned from my brother, it's near verbatim (not the midwest bash, that was me. Although my grandfather and old ff's from the SOC's in Brooklyn used to say that kind of stuff. but it was usually said regarding just about everybody but their dept. of course, I don't really believe that and I know my brother and his brothers don't).

My bro's single company goes to more OSW's (occupied structures) than a lot of cities do in a year...or more. He's my hero. What he believes in is not uncommon as can be seen on NYCfirenet or the rant. The safety sally comment is consistent as well as the smooth bore comment.

Rescue101, any opinion on vests?

Btw, I really don't want to get off topic Rescue101, but I must mention our trip to Maine last year. we went up to Maine a few yrs ago to Naples, on that big lake there that crosses under a highway. Also went to Poland Maine to visit the operation. I believe those towns aren't too far from you because we went to a Dunkin Donuts which I believe is in your town. After staying in a rent for the weekend cottage on Sebago, we also went to Windham on that busy commercial strip in the middle of what seems to be the country, Moosehead, Kittery Outlets, a big huge bridge off of Portsmouth that goes to Kittery (Piscat something) saw a bunch of neat draw bridges lined up near that bridge. We crossed into Canada in downeast Maine, in I think vassle or vance something, i got that confused, because the GPS said it was quicker to get to Holton that way. I also saw some interesting windmills on a mountain in a town called Mars Hill, that was way way up near canada...it took us a few days to see everything. The cell phone service switched to a canadian svc in that area. we couldn't believe our cell svc was Rogiers or Rogers or something like that. Also, I couldn't believe when we were headed upstate that a few towns are named by crazy numbers like T9384 or something. BIG, BIG state.

We try to keep everyone in a vest unless fighting fire, even during extrication. With that said, if you are actually cutting or working on a vehicle and not wearing a vest nothing will be said, but if you are up on the road you will get a talking to back at the station. I usually keep my vest on my coat when working rescue and I can take it off really fast if need be.

As for the fire truck excuse, my concern is yes they can see the lights and BRT but if they are paying more attention to the BRT they may miss the firefighter standing next to it.

Bottom line is your own safety comes first and if you feel safer wearing it then do, next if it is required cover yourself and wear it, if you are fine without it and not required then by all means have at it, but I try to wear it.

Forum Member

DOT regulations now require OSHA approved vests for any response that involves a roadway. Anyone working on or near a roadway during a call is required to have a vest. I'll see if I can find the actual law. DOT is supposed to enforce it and responders can be personally fined, but I'm not 100% sure on the amount.

So the answer AGAIN is - Safety First.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    I am a two time cancer survivor with history fighting California's cancer presumption laws. What else would you like to disagree with me on?
    No need for jackassery. My point was that for you to blatantly state that no FF has been denied benefits for not wearing SCBA is pretty presumptuous. If you have proof of this, I'll gladly eat crow. Until then, wear your mask and your vest...small inconveniences for the protection they offer.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    It's Not a State Law here in N.C. but. . . . . . . AND this is the way that it was presented to me and my Fire Dept. If you are operating on a federally funded Rd/hwy/interstate, you must wear a vest. The exceptions to the rule are as follows. If there is a fire or chance of a fire the FFs operating in the hot zone are not required to wear a vest. If the road is shut down only the flagmen at either end of the scene are the only ones required to wear a vest. As it applies to LEOs If I'm making a vehicle stop, I don't have to wear my reflective vest. If I am taking any type of law enforcement action, I don't have to wear my vest. (officer safety issue) But if I'm at work at the Sheriff's Office or at on a call for the Fire Dept. and on a road that receives Federal money then you have to wear a vest. That goes for everyone, EMS Rescue Squad, FF, LEOs, Wrecker Drivers, Dot workers whoever.

Since sometimes its hard to tell what roads receive fed funds, and it makes good sense our SOG's state that we wear our traffic vest at all incidents that occur on the roadway. The only exceptions are the ones listed above.
    HAHA, I knew I had it twisted a little, I'm still new to the rules and laws here. Thank you brother.

Quote Originally Posted by BW21 View Post
    Personally....

If the people on the road driving don't see a giant fire engine with its lights on they probably won't see a vest.
    Anyways....
    The general rule on them is wear them anytime you're working in the road unless doing extrication and its getting in the way or doing any fire suppression... So I'm going to keep wearing mine
    The problem as I see it would be they DO SEE the BRT, and they keep looking at it, without the vest on I might as well be wearing camoflage. The day glow and reflective tape gets there attention to the fact that there were humans that stepped off the BRT and that the BRT does not do the work by itself.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

They "bust" thru a line here,they WILL be in the back of a cruiser,cut and dried. ZERO tolerance for people entering the action zone that aren't Responders. T.C.
    As I recall, they were. But before entering the cruiser, they damaged a FF's vehicle and put several people in danger...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    That is why I am asking questions (this thread).

I know. It's obvious... I'm only 15. I ate humble pie many posts ago and am asking questions.

One thing's for sure, when I have repeated things I've learned from my brother, it's near verbatim (not the midwest bash, that was me. Although my grandfather and old ff's from the SOC's in Brooklyn used to say that kind of stuff. but it was usually said regarding just about everybody but their dept. of course, I don't really believe that and I know my brother and his brothers don't).

My bro's single company goes to more OSW's (occupied structures) than a lot of cities do in a year...or more. He's my hero. What he believes in is not uncommon as can be seen on NYCfirenet or the rant. The safety sally comment is consistent as well as the smooth bore comment.

Rescue101, any opinion on vests?

Btw, I really don't want to get off topic Rescue101, but I must mention our trip to Maine last year. we went up to Maine a few yrs ago to Naples, on that big lake there that crosses under a highway. Also went to Poland Maine to visit the operation. I believe those towns aren't too far from you because we went to a Dunkin Donuts which I believe is in your town. After staying in a rent for the weekend cottage on Sebago, we also went to Windham on that busy commercial strip in the middle of what seems to be the country, Moosehead, Kittery Outlets, a big huge bridge off of Portsmouth that goes to Kittery (Piscat something) saw a bunch of neat draw bridges lined up near that bridge. We crossed into Canada in downeast Maine, in I think vassle or vance something, i got that confused, because the GPS said it was quicker to get to Holton that way. I also saw some interesting windmills on a mountain in a town called Mars Hill, that was way way up near canada...it took us a few days to see everything. The cell phone service switched to a canadian svc in that area. we couldn't believe our cell svc was Rogiers or Rogers or something like that. Also, I couldn't believe when we were headed upstate that a few towns are named by crazy numbers like T9384 or something. BIG, BIG state.
    Opinons on vests: We are REQUIRED to wear them.That being said,I've worked in and on the highways of this State for OVER thirty five years WITHOUT the damn things. Vehicle placement and situational awareness will do more to keep you alive than cones and vests. Yes,I think vests are a GOOD idea but the average person who is gonna get you is usually impaired and the vest doesn't do a lick of good there. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do a search for "Hi Vis Vests" and you will see my .02

I also posted the "Regulation on Use" and the "Regulation for Manufacturing" the Hi-Vis Vests in a post here.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

When I first started out in the fire service, safety traffic vests didn't exist on the engine. It has only been recently that they are a required piece of equipment. They are mainly use on MVA's but if a driver doesn't see a big red fire engine with lights flashing, I highly doubt they will see me or my fellow fire fighters with a reflective vest. But we wear them none the less and hope that those who are out on the road, don't think we are targets of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Actually brother, he's telling the truth. No BS.
    I don't doubt he's telling the truth. But it has nothing to do with this.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I don't doubt he's telling the truth. But it has nothing to do with this.
    Noted.....
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    No need for jackassery. My point was that for you to blatantly state that no FF has been denied benefits for not wearing SCBA is pretty presumptuous. If you have proof of this, I'll gladly eat crow. Until then, wear your mask and your vest...small inconveniences for the protection they offer.
    Show where they have been denied? It isn't any different. Someone killed for not wearing a vest. Someone dies of cancer for not wearing a BA?

I'm not being a jackass. All I am saying is that nothing with your benefits would change regardless if you had a vest on or not.

I might change my outlook if I saw a previous case where it has. Until then, that is my stance on the subject.

Forum Member

Show where they have been denied? It isn't any different. Someone killed for not wearing a vest. Someone dies of cancer for not wearing a BA?

I'm not being a jackass. All I am saying is that nothing with your benefits would change regardless if you had a vest on or not.

I might change my outlook if I saw a previous case where it has. Until then, that is my stance on the subject.
    I've read here long enough to formulate a personal opinion....You, snowball, Johnny46, nozzlenut22, Ndemarse, Nyctkbl, ChicagoFF, Massfireguy, 111truck, e211LT aka calmb4storm, feugobuff and a few others are a breath of fresh air!

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    I've read here long enough to formulate a personal opinion....You, snowball, Johnny46, nozzlenut22, Ndemarse, Nyctkbl, ChicagoFF, Massfireguy, 111truck, e211LT aka calmb4storm, feugobuff and a few others are a breath of fresh air!
    111Truck? Are you serious? Just go away please. I'm emailing the WT
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Until then, that is my stance on the subject.
    So your stance is you could care less about anything unless it effects your money?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    So your stance is you could care less about anything unless it effects your money?
    Sure is funny how you flip things around.

That was the original argument of emt161. I was told benefits will be denied to me if I was killed on a highway without a vest.

Show me an incident where that has happened or something similarly has happened.

Forum Member

I would wear a traffic vest because I think I look pretty damn cool in them. In fact, I'm wearing one right now, sitting in my living room.
    -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Forum Member

.............edit, its off topic now anyway

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtg55 View Post
    111Truck? Are you serious? Just go away please. I'm emailing the WT
    The WT should remember 111truck then, aka former FH editor and FDNY retired - Tom Brennan.

I'd heard nothing but good things about him and have made sure to read every one of his posts from his old account: 111truck.

RIP

Thread Information