Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Traffic vests or not?

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Sure is funny how you flip things around.
    I didn't flip anything around. You said it. And you're still a fool if you think it is that inconvenient. Maybe you don't give a crap about yourself, but I'm sure others do. I'm sure they'll feel better knowing you were comfortable and proudly protesting the vest laws when you get run over by a car and die.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I still say its a steamy pile of shi t from Crow..

Forum Member

http://www.respondersafety.com/

Should have answers for all of the OP's questions...
    No good deed goes unpunished

Forum Member

Default safety20

since it is a fed. DOT law and they dp help when out on the road. the only time we don;t wear a vest is when we have bottle on or working on entrapment. all other times we wear them. it could save your life

Stop all the whining and excuse making and wear the vest. Every little bit of safety gear make it a little better for you. Remember..."Everyone Goes Home"
    everyonegoeshome.com

We are required to wear a department issued 6-point break away vest any time we are on any roadway unless wereing an SCBA.

Quote Originally Posted by bcjack View Post
    Remember..."Everyone Goes Home"

"Complacency kills" is a much better phrase.

We did this business long before vest were out. We had turnout gear, like today, that had reflective stripes on it. In fact we used the FDNY Style for years, until a newer Chief came on board and changed things.

Park the apparatus to block traffic that is approaching so that it does run into you or the operation going on.

We get very good cooperation from LEO's in Virginia.

Default vest

i agree if there a mva or some thing that has to do with the road firefighters should wear there reflective jacket or vest

i even got my own vest but its orange and in a few days im going out to buy a large yellow vest for my turnout gear jacket to me safety first idc what people think when they look at me
    Explorer Lieutenant
    2011 - 2011 - 3 days
    Explorer President
    2008 - 2011
    Fire Explorer
    2005 - 2011
    Volunteer Firefighter
    March 7th -?????

Forum Member

In my department....county we have to wear the bright yellow vests. Fire, EMS, and PD are required to wear them but we dont always. Its really just a pain in the *** because my department has bright yellow trucks and we always block off the whole road or if the highway block off all lanes but 1
    Last edited by Harris543; 02-24-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    Sure is funny how you flip things around.

That was the original argument of emt161. I was told benefits will be denied to me if I was killed on a highway without a vest.

Show me an incident where that has happened or something similarly has happened.
    Yep, that's exactly the attitude the fire service should adopt.

"It hasn't happened yet, therefore it won't."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    We did this business long before vest were out.
    W did the job long before SCBAs were out. Were those the good ol' days too?

We had turnout gear, like today, that had reflective stripes on it.
    If you're going to suggest that the striping on fire-grimed turnout gear is the same striping as a vest that lives in the cab of a truck, there's really no point in debating the issue- you're just clueless.

It's also not the fact that there IS striping, it's how that striping is arranged. The Class II vests are specifically designed to create the impression of a human form when nothing else is visible except the stripes. Your turnout gear stripes won't do it- assuming they're not covered in soot to begin with.

While I have not personally seen or read about a denial/reduction of worker's comp benefits for not wearing your PPE (including a vest), the way the insurance business is going, there will be a time, (sooner than later) when you will be held accountable for your personal failure to use all of the appropriate PPE for a given situation.

Insurance companies have, for years, been apportioning responsibility for claims as have the courts. It is just a matter of time before governmental entities (your employers) and their worker's comp carriers (the insurance companies) begin to do the same.

The idea that YOU are responsible for your own safety has been out there for a long, long time, and we should take that to heart and use the safety gear we are provided to keep ourselves as protected as possible.

There will come a time when you will see reduced benefits, and/or the denial of benefits for on-the-job injuries/death because YOU contributed to your injuries/death due to a failure to use the appropriate PPE.

Our work takes us into hazardous situations on a regular basis, and we owe it to our brother and sister firefighters, our employers, the community we serve, and especially our families, to go home healthy and in one piece at the end of EVERY shift.

everyonegoeshome.com
    everyonegoeshome.com

Forum Member

I prefer to wear either a turnout coat or EMS style reflective jacket. I generally would only wear the vest when it's warm out and I only have my duty uniform on. I see way too many guys with the vest on during fire suppression, I don't know what that's about. Personally, I think vests are generally overkill and ineffective. Setting up proper safety zones and blocking or even shutting down a road is going to save more lives. If they hit you and you weren't wearing a vest, you were probably where you shouldn't be, or they already missed a dozen other warning signs and would've hit you anyway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BW21 View Post
    Personally....

If the people on the road driving don't see a giant fire engine with its lights on they probably won't see a vest.

Anyways....
    The general rule on them is wear them anytime you're working in the road unless doing extrication and its getting in the way or doing any fire suppression... So I'm going to keep wearing mine
    It isn't the firetruck I am afraid of getting hit. It is the safety personel that isn't as noticeable especialy with the distractions of lights etc...

Personally I vote for vests unless the coats with safety stripes are clearly noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    W did the job long before SCBAs were out. Were those the good ol' days too?

If you're going to suggest that the striping on fire-grimed turnout gear is the same striping as a vest that lives in the cab of a truck, there's really no point in debating the issue- you're just clueless.

It's also not the fact that there IS striping, it's how that striping is arranged. The Class II vests are specifically designed to create the impression of a human form when nothing else is visible except the stripes. Your turnout gear stripes won't do it- assuming they're not covered in soot to begin with.

His department was probably doing more to protect the members than you might have ever heard of. They had large traffic direction lights on apparatus that ran the major highway(s) in the area which they service, that would be Interstate 95 and what is known as the mixing bowl in his area, that is Interstate 95, Interstate 395 and Interstate 495 and everyone is running late at any time of the day.

Even now they have widen those roads and changed some patterns, there still is more traffic running through that area any day of the week than on any other Interstate in this country.

The Chief back then was Warren Isman a very pro active Chief in firefighter safety and well as apparatus development. They ran E-One Hush's long before other departments had them, to get that engine noise away from the crew area!

Any time I am going to Baltimore or north of there, I cut off I-95 and hit US 301 until I get to I-695 in Baltimore, to avoid that backup. Rush hours begin at 4 AM and goes to 10 PM every day and traffic can be backed up for miles on miles.

As he said we used what we had before the vest came out, because there wasn't any back in the earlier days of some of us.

By the way, we had SCBA's back in the 1950's!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

The more I think about it, the more I think the vests are pretty much useless if you already have turnout gear or a EMS jacket, except when we do the Fill the Boot for MDA. Any other time, The street or road is either shut down or the area I'm working in should be blocked off. I see so many reports of idiots just plowing into trucks and emergency scenes. A vest isn't going to do jack to stop an idiot or drunk driver that can't see a truck lit up like a Christmas tree. I figure if I get hit it will be because of an idiot or because I'm somewhere I shouldn't be. I'd rather the money for vests be spent on bazooka's and we could post a lookout for idiots. Just sayin'

Forum Member

Right now, in the back of my SUV is my turn-out gear. On my jacket is a DOT approved vest. Since 90% of my runs are medical/MVA, I just keep my vest on my jacket. That way as soon as I put on my gear, the vest is on and ready to go. I don't see it as something that helps on road situations only. When backing a medic unit into a driveway, it helps the driver see me. When sitting in middle of a dark field with a ATV rider that is down, it helps others locate me & the downed rider.

Field fires, I wear SCBA & vest. If I'm working a portion of the field, I want the BRT to see me as it comes around the smoke.

Now, when we get the occasional structure fire, since our vests are velcro/quick remove, I can just rip it off before donning my SCBA.

I do realize that a vest isn't a cure-all, prevent all. It is another tool to be used appropriately. My feeling on the vest can be summed up by this: If it even increases my safety by 1%, I'm wearing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jkoby View Post

Field fires, I wear SCBA & vest.
    Not to get off-topic and not to judge, but you wear your SCBA for field fires? Havent heard of that before, but we may be talking about different types of fields. When I think of fields I imagine an open space with vegetation 1 foot to 3 feet where fire spreads quickly. Is that the same for you? We dont wear SCBA and most of the time dont wear structural gear for those fires.

As I said, not judging, just interested in the how different departments do things differently.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer534 View Post
    Not to get off-topic and not to judge, but you wear your SCBA for field fires? Havent heard of that before, but we may be talking about different types of fields. When I think of fields I imagine an open space with vegetation 1 foot to 3 feet where fire spreads quickly. Is that the same for you? We dont wear SCBA and most of the time dont wear structural gear for those fires.

As I said, not judging, just interested in the how different departments do things differently.
    I used to not wear the SCBA on field fires. However, after hanging over the edge of our Brush Truck while manning the hose and having the smoke come up over me a few times, I started wearing the SCBA. It makes it much easier to actually spray the fire when you can see it. My eyes don't water from the smoke and I can actually breathe.

I have worn the SCBA while on the ground with a shovel as well. I'm not always on air, but if the wind changes or I get into the smoke, I'll put the mask on so I can breathe and see.

The other guys gave me a hard time at first about it as well. But then a few others tried it and agreed that it is easier to work with it on. In fact, we are trying to come up with a way to mount bottles on the truck so you just plug your regulator into the truck and not have to worry about wearing the bottle.

Thread Information