View Poll Results: Have you actually performed trunk tunneling?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, during an actual extrication!

5 26.32%
  • Yes, however only in training

12 63.16%
  • No, never have

1 5.26%
  • Huh? Duh? What is it?

1 5.26%

Thread: Trunk Tunneling

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trunk Tunneling

Trunk tunneling is not new. Been around for many years now. Simply asking how many have actually used the technique.

Forum Member

Billy if I may, I would like to respond to this. My intention is not to subtract or question what you do within your training program, but add to the importance of this topic... hopefully justifying your question.

We at BTR have taken another look within the past two years at "tunneling". So much so, we have brought on another instructor with vast real life experience of doing it in the real world. Personally I have never been a fan of tunneling... maybe because in my tour as rescue chief, and time on the squad, we never trained in it or needed it. We trained on other things I thought where more important.... like air bags/cushions..lol. Anyways, my statement is important, because I know realize even more then ever, it is a technique that must be practiced and perfected in any modern era rescue outfit.

For years are program has been based around other options. Tunneling is no different. When it is impossible to get big equipment to the casualty to perform a lift, or for one reason or another (maybe due to structural soundness) it can't be lifted with equipment or cushions, tunneling is a great technique. Look at all these major pile ups on some of our roadways, to move equipment out of the way takes time... a good team rehearsed in the art of tunneling can get in in no time at all.

My personal opinion is, that most rescuers are not properly trained. They think they are, but they are not. With the addition of Jay on the team, it has allowed us to concentrate a module just on tunneling. The set up is important. when doing tunneling training, don't do it in a parking lot with the car easily accessible. Set up a real world scenario. Another thing, get educated by someone with a resume of experience on this. Check their resumes.

Tunneling is a great tool to have in your toolbox tucked away in your head. But it must be regularly trained. I myself have seen the the importance of having this resource available to you. It is available if you properly train at it. Attending a class and never practicing at it is not being proficient at it. Which is a another discussion, for another time, as to why rescue must to be its own identity, within a department.

Forum Member

Don't LIMIT that thought to just tunneling. Set up ALL your training to challenge the attendees. Set up odd/unusual scenerios and WORK THEM! The weirder, the better. Just when you think you've seen it all SOMEONE will find a new way to reverse that thought. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scooby0066 View Post
    My personal opinion is, that most rescuers are not properly trained. They think they are, but they are not.

Tunneling is a great tool to have in your toolbox tucked away in your head. But it must be regularly trained. I myself have seen the the importance of having this resource available to you. It is available if you properly train at it. Attending a class and never practicing at it is not being proficient at it. Which is a another discussion, for another time, as to why rescue must to be its own identity, within a department.
    Great post! We have run into the problem here where guys did extrication training 15 years ago in the fire academy and maybe a few in service extrication drills since then and they think they are extrication experts then when they get on a scene they get stuck.

Don't LIMIT that thought to just tunneling. Set up ALL your training to challenge the attendees. Set up odd/unusual scenerios and WORK THEM! The weirder, the better. Just when you think you've seen it all SOMEONE will find a new way to reverse that thought. T.C.
    Another great post! Our technical rescue committee has been trying to change the mindset we have. Usually when we get cars to cut, they would just be left on all 4 wheels to practice door pops, dash lifts, etc.

Our committee got together and convinced the chiefs to let us start flipping the car, putting them in odd locations, etc.

We have found that a good way to practice tunneling if you dont have a spare semi trailer laying around and a crane to drop it onto the car, you can simply drape a tarp over the car leaving just the rear of the vehicle open. It has worked well for us.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Tunneling always has had a place with situations such as ride unders with limited access from other avenues. With all of the new vehicle technology and utilization of high strength materials you either need to be able to work with or around these materials. The new side wall impact protection often exceeds the limits of many of the older cutters that departments are currently utilizing. Rear access, tunneling and trenching the roof are often the solutions to these situations. We routinely teach these techniques in our training programs.

Thread Information