Thread: eDispatches

Forum Member

Question eDispatches

Hello Everyone

I am trying to find some reviews from firefighters who have used edispatches. I did a search on the forum and only found one thread announcing about edispatches in 2005. If you are not familiar with it, its a service that sends voice calls or text messages to your cell phone if any tones go out. Their website is here http://www.edispatches.com. Any feedback on the service would be greatly appreciated. My fire dept is thinking about trying this service.
    Matt

Forum Member

Default PageGate

We have used pagegate for years. Here are a list of pros and cons I have found in my experience with these systems

Cons
    1. This is a secondary system by nature and are usually treated as such by the dispatchers handling the calls. The dispatch will get busy handling radio traffic and logging that it takes a while to get a pagegate sent. Especially in small dispatch offices.
    2. SMS delivery is not always immediate. I have gotten text messages for calls a day later. This is not due to the software, but the messaging system of the carriers.
    3. 160 character limit count. If not worded correctly the text will not contain useful information.

Pros
    1. If the firefighter is engaged in an activity that requires him/her to turn down the radio, his cell phone will usually still be on vibrate. Although late to the call, the firefighter would not have came otherwise.
    2. Firefighters are notorious about not charging their radios, but cell phones are charged religiously.
    3. Even out of town firefighters can help with specific knowledge of structures, situations, etc. Example is a firefighter who knows a home intimately for one reason or another. He is aware that the resident has oxygen bottles in the cupboard off the kitchen. If he is out of town he can still call dispatch and alert other members to this specific hazard.

In my opinion the total effectiveness of a system like this depends on how it is implemented and the SOPs covering the use. They should not be relied upon as a first line paging system.

Just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EFD15FF7 View Post
    Hello Everyone

I am trying to find some reviews from firefighters who have used edispatches. I did a search on the forum and only found one thread announcing about edispatches in 2005. If you are not familiar with it, its a service that sends voice calls or text messages to your cell phone if any tones go out. Their website is here http://www.edispatches.com. Any feedback on the service would be greatly appreciated. My fire dept is thinking about trying this service.
    You might want to try this FREE application that can send your two-tone voice pages as a .wav or .mp3 attachment to any email address (including mobile phones)

http://sites.google.com/site/radioet...twotoneprogram

Forum Member

Sorry,

I have not seen this product. But if you would like to look at an alternative I would be happy to talk with you.

We have been doing Incident Notification for public safety for 10 years now and have looked at the Text-To-Speach and Voce-XML soultions out there with a goalof possiably intergarting something with our DAPage(tm) product. Mostly I have found that nothing is avilable to support the industries vocabulably and abreviations.

We instead do live CAD links, standard to the vendor or custom to the agency depending on the needs, and have a number of deprtments that say this secondary dispatch often arrives on personel pagers and phones prior to the primary tone out.

DAPage(tm) is a hosted solution and can be deployed in most cases with in 24 hours.

Let us know if we can help.
    htttp://www.dapage.net

Hello Everyone

Forum Member

My fire dept is thinking about trying this service.
    Have you checked with your 9-1-1 call center? Chances are very good that they already have the capability of doing this themselves or could add it more economically than using a thrid party subscrition service.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SHFire View Post
    You might want to try this FREE application that can send your two-tone voice pages as a .wav or .mp3 attachment to any email address (including mobile phones)

http://sites.google.com/site/radioet...twotoneprogram
    Now, this looks like fun program to play around with.

Forum Member

Sir,

While you are basically correct, the initial capital to setup a quality system can be significant. But in todays world maintaining all the various links to carriers and service providers that will enable the message traffic to get through to the pager and/or iPhone and/or Amdroid is a full time job, requires numerous agreements and significant time to stay ahead of it. If you can dictate the provider you may be able to manage this, but for Volunteer groups that have no say as to what device the end user carries this becomes a headache.

When you use a service like ours, part of our value add is you do not deal with the network connectivity headaches and the VPN / Security issues of moving message traffic.

----------------

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Have you checked with your 9-1-1 call center? Chances are very good that they already have the capability of doing this themselves or could add it more economically than using a thrid party subscrition service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firebuff880 View Post
    maintaining all the various links to carriers and service providers that will enable the message traffic to get through
    With all due respect, all the "various links" needed are inherent in any broadband internet connection. Many 9-1-1 centers already have all the hardware they need in place and some even have the software in place without realizing it. (Everbridge comes to mind. While often installed for other purposes -- like civilian disaster/evacuation notification -- it also has robust responder alerting capabilities.)

to the pager and/or iPhone and/or Amdroid is a full time job
    Sorry, but I disagree. That is undoubtedly the case for a commercial paging center but not for the needs of a typical 9-1-1 center transmitting only emergency notifications to a set of responders. The necessary functionality already exists in hardware/software in many call centers and requires minimal additional maintenance.

I know you want to sell your service but, in all fairness, anyone looking for responder paging via SMS and/or email owes it to themselves to explore all the options. Doing it themselves may very well be the better option for many.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    With all due respect, all the "various links" needed are inherent in any broadband internet connection. Many 9-1-1 centers already have all the hardware they need in place and some even have the software in place without realizing it. (Everbridge comes to mind. While often installed for other purposes -- like civilian disaster/evacuation notification -- it also has robust responder alerting capabilities.)
    Not true at all, Sprint Verizon and AT&T have all moved to one form or another of Enterprise gateways which require a substantial effort to setup and maintain any respectable level of service and throughput. Even the remaining Paging carriers want to white list most valid servers for processing otherwise your traffic is subject to throttling and pacing.

Sorry, but I disagree. That is undoubtedly the case for a commercial paging center but not for the needs of a typical 9-1-1 center transmitting only emergency notifications to a set of responders. The necessary functionality already exists in hardware/software in many call centers and requires minimal additional maintenance.

I know you want to sell your service but, in all fairness, anyone looking for responder paging via SMS and/or email owes it to themselves to explore all the options. Doing it themselves may very well be the better option for many.
    I did a quick look and most of the 9-1-1 centers we support have a minimum of three carriers even the small ones with under one-hundread devices. Remember this is not primary station alerting this is paging over commercial carriers.

An yes I agree evaluating all the options out there is the correct process for any and all centers considering using Alpha Messaging / Paging as a dispatch medium.

-------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firebuff880 View Post
    Not true at all, Sprint Verizon and AT&T have all moved to one form or another of Enterprise gateways which require a substantial effort to setup and maintain
    The experience of the two dispatch centers (one regional dispatch center / PSAP and one municipal police department based PSAP) I work out of would seem to contradict that claim. Both have and use multi-mode alerting systems than include SMS, email, paging, and automated voice call capability.

any respectable level of service and throughput.
    I typically receive SMS alerts before or at least simultaneously with the siren down the street winding up for an call. The service level and throughput appear to be fine here.

Even the remaining paging carriers want to white list most valid servers for processing otherwise your traffic is subject to throttling and pacing.
    IMHO, pagers are a dead technology anyway. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who still even carries one with the exception of a few guys who carry whacker-news pagers of one kind or another. Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime extra on technology to mass alert pagers. If it was really important, I have phone based alphanumeric paging software on at least one of my old computers already. It was free.

An yes I agree evaluating all the options out there is the correct process for any and all centers considering using Alpha Messaging / Paging as a dispatch medium.
    As noted, I wouldn't bother with that medium anyway -- it's archaic.

Forum Member

Motorola pagers are still the standard in my area and most of my county, plus the county just north of me.

We too are looking at various phone/test messaging options. No, my 911 dispatch center (local PD) does not have the ability/equipment.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Have you guys seen www.Amerilert.com/firstresponder?

It simultaneously sends dispatches to alpha pagers, cell phones (SMS text messages) and email. You can also add a voice option to call land line phones. FDs across the country are using it today with great success. The service is more reliable than alpha pagers and is much easier to use, plus alerts can be issued from any net-connected PC or cell phone. You can also set up groups so only the right people get the call, such as HAZMAT, water rescue, outreach volunteers, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bryancrum View Post
    Have you guys seen www.Amerilert.com/firstresponder?

It simultaneously sends dispatches to alpha pagers, cell phones (SMS text messages) and email. You can also add a voice option to call land line phones. FDs across the country are using it today with great success. The service is more reliable than alpha pagers and is much easier to use, plus alerts can be issued from any net-connected PC or cell phone. You can also set up groups so only the right people get the call, such as HAZMAT, water rescue, outreach volunteers, etc.
    I can only assume you sell this drivel.

And that you post this stuff on your web page as only applying to YOUR system, and not to anyone elses that YOU decide to spam.

"We hate SPAM too.

In order to maintain the integrity of our mass notification system, Omnilert, LLC (parent of Amerilert) commits to the absolute prohibition of "spam" and unwanted telemarketing to Omnilert subscribers. Omnilert will adhere to all applicable CAN-SPAM and telemarketing laws as directed by the Federal Trade Commission.

Omnilert, LLC will not disclose, sell or trade your contact information to anyone not affiliated with Omnilert, LLC.

The Omnilert Network will only send targeted messages to only those subscribers who wish to receive messages through an "opt-in" process, unless otherwise directed by the client organization.

You may review our complete privacy policy or contact us to learn more."

As well as the idiotic statements about Alpha paging. Alpha paging can be many times more reliable than cellular based text messaging, and it even can enjoy complying with NFPA standards for primary alerting, something Cellular cannot do.

"outdated unreliable alpha paging" only shows that your technical knowledge is so lacking that anyone purchasing any product should run at the fastest speed available away from your company.

Thread Information