Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Your Most Memorable Academy Experience

Just wanted to get a few opinions on recent recruits most memorable academy experience/s. Whether it was a lesson learned, a drill, or just a funny story.

First time in the burn room. Eight hundred degrees is pretty hot. Dont place your hand on your crewmates shoulder lol.

It was a weekend training at a 5 story training tower. Im not afraid of heights by no means, but I was learning how to rappel for the first time. It was so hard to convince my body to 'hang' from a rope.So as im sucking the harness up my rear i go over the edge and start decinding down the wall, and i did really good.....All the way until about 4foot off the ground. And the guys up top thought it would be funny to let the rope "slip".....And at 2 feet off the ground i believe i saw my life flash before my eyes!Had i not went to the boys room before, i believe i would have had to make a early trip back home for a change of cholthes.
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

One of our BA crews removed a stroller form the third floor of our hot cell during training. They assumed it had a baby in it, it didn't....shoulda checked dude...now you are stuck with the nickname "stroller" forever!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMtnsFF View Post
    One of our BA crews removed a stroller form the third floor of our hot cell during training. They assumed it had a baby in it, it didn't....shoulda checked dude...now you are stuck with the nickname "stroller" forever!
    Well, I have a story, but it's not from me, since I'm still too young to be a fireman.

My brother said that in the academy, if you were to ever leave a nozzle on the ground or unattended, you'd have to pay a price. What is that price? You'd have to direct the nozzle on yourself and get a nice cold shot while everyone looks on and laughs. Very entertaining from the sounds of it.

There was one guy who just couldn't get it through his head not to leave the nozzle unattended, he had to go through this 8 times!

It teaches you that an unattended nozzle is fair game for another company to pick up and if they do, you're out of luck.

Forum Member

Lesson = MUPRHY'S LAW:
    My first flashover simulator, LSU-FETI, our instructor told us all this baja about safety and gear inspection blah blah blah right? We get in there, everyone is chilling (doing the best we could in the sim) and all of a sudden we hear "get the door!" and our instructor is running out, next thing we hear is everyone backout. What happened you are wondering, our instructor's nomex was not tucked in.

Drill = Turnout Races
    Always take out your gloves and hood out of your boot before going up against the champion.

Funny Story = Search Training/LSU-FETI
    We were taught our primary search operations in a smoke building, the instructor told us to have 3 recruits go inside and play the victims. Well, my team went in first and we find them on a bed, we determined they were positioned doggy style xD on top of each other after feeling around. Gotta love those LA boys.
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    Well, I have a story, but it's not from me, since I'm still too young to be a fireman.

My brother said that in the academy, if you were to ever leave a nozzle on the ground or unattended, you'd have to pay a price. What is that price? You'd have to direct the nozzle on yourself and get a nice cold shot while everyone looks on and laughs. Very entertaining from the sounds of it.

There was one guy who just couldn't get it through his head not to leave the nozzle unattended, he had to go through this 8 times!

It teaches you that an unattended nozzle is fair game for another company to pick up and if they do, you're out of luck.
    also the wrong gender, speaking PC.
    VB Rescue Squad 14
    EMT-Basic

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post

It was mine too, CALFFBOU! Go to mark 2:26 of this video.. For someone who hates the FDNY so much, its hilarious to see you make any kind of attempt act like you know what your talking about.. I always knew you were a little girl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znUEwqEMcxw

Forum Member

funny story...so, it's the first week or so of academy, and the dean of the program visits the class and talks to us about a number of things such as making it to class on time, wearing your academy uniform, not wearing your academy issued ppe on Halloween,conducting yourself appropriately in public, etc. Mid sentence, the 'class goon' (we all know him, we've all seen him..I have no idea how this clown got into the academy..) walks in 15 minutes late, with a t-shirt on that reads "Firefighters get better head". The dean totally noticed he was late, and was wearing the shirt. He was pulled aside, after class.
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Thread Information