Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

At the Massachusetts Fire Academy... one of the gems that are drilled into the heads of the recruits is the mantra "everyone is responsible for removing kinks in the line".... everyone meaning from the green as snot probie to a grizzled old Chief.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 07-24-2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post

^^^This new video reminded me of the discussion in this thread. Great points emphasized again.
    Well look who just got out of detention. Will wonders never cease?
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Well I am interested; what else have you guys done to battle the kinking when going to low pressure/SB nozzles? This is a move my volunteer department is about to make so any tips are appreciated.
    My POC FD uses Key Nitrile Rubber 2 inch hose with a 200 gpm at 75 psi combo nozzle with a 1 1/4 inch slug. We underpump initially to 160 gpm at roughly 55 psi, obviously can go to 200 gpm at 75 psi, or go to the slug for 300 at about 42 psi at the tip. We do not have a major problem with kinking. We do train our guys to understand it is everyone's job to clear the kinks, and especially the last guy on the line as he advanced.

Teaching proper hose movement should ALWAYS involve training to clear the kinks.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Next video is how to replace the lens in your mask!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Like it!

FyredUp: I like the set-up you just described. Start the pump pressure at 100 psi, under pumping the tip (7/8" equivalent) at 160 gpm. Boost it to 150 psi engine pressure for the standard 75 psi nozzle at 200 gpm, If you need more, remove the tip and use the 1 1/4" slug supplied with a pump pressure of 190 to 200 psi, and deliver the 300 gpm. Even at 300 gpm the reaction force will only be 91 lbs. I like the thought process. NICE!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KuhShise View Post
    FyredUp: I like the set-up you just described. Start the pump pressure at 100 psi, under pumping the tip (7/8" equivalent) at 160 gpm. Boost it to 150 psi engine pressure for the standard 75 psi nozzle at 200 gpm, If you need more, remove the tip and use the 1 1/4" slug supplied with a pump pressure of 190 to 200 psi, and deliver the 300 gpm. Even at 300 gpm the reaction force will only be 91 lbs. I like the thought process. NICE!

Totally unrelated question:

What size threads are on that 1.25" slug tip? are they 1.5" or 2.5"? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that with 1.5" couplings, that tip would be kinda flimsy- with walls of >1/8"... On the other hand, 2.5" would require an adaptor to do a break and extend. I love the idea, it's simple AND versatile- just trying to get my head around the details.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzle nut 22 View Post
    Totally unrelated question:

What size threads are on that 1.25" slug tip? are they 1.5" or 2.5"? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that with 1.5" couplings, that tip would be kinda flimsy- with walls of >1/8"... On the other hand, 2.5" would require an adaptor to do a break and extend. I love the idea, it's simple AND versatile- just trying to get my head around the details.

Since that is the nozzle set-up from my FD let me answer your question. It is not flimsy in the least and after 10 years we have not damaged or broken one of those tips.

By the way, the 1 1/2 inches is the interior diameter of the water way on a 1 1/2 inch coupling. So if you look at our 1 1/4 inch slug tip the walls of the tip are roughly 1/4 inch thick.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Next video is how to replace the lens in your mask!
    That one is will be very short... give the facepice to your FD's qualified SCBA repair tech!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Speaking for all of my knuckle dragging SAR guys... " Whats a Nozzle?"
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Since that is the nozzle set-up from my FD let me answer your question. It is not flimsy in the least and after 10 years we have not damaged or broken one of those tips.

By the way, the 1 1/2 inches is the interior diameter of the water way on a 1 1/2 inch coupling. So if you look at our 1 1/4 inch slug tip the walls of the tip are roughly 1/4 inch thick.
    Great, that's what I was hoping- sounds much beefier than I had pictured.

I should have quoted your post anyway, as yours was the set up I was asking about...

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    Speaking for all of my knuckle dragging SAR guys... " Whats a Nozzle?"
    The thing you trip over when the engine guys get scared...
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Thread Information